You Have To Do What you Have to Do Right?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
steamaheadstephen59

You Have To Do What you Have to Do Right?

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:23 pm

De Bruin

Re: You Have To Do What you Have to Do Right?

Postby De Bruin » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:38 pm

You're referring to replacing that open face motor with a can? or is there a deeper existential issue here I'm too dense to get?
Inquiring minds...8^)
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:01 am

Well I wonted to see If the K&D motor would respond to magnets instead of the field windings. It did! but only in one direction?

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:52 am

I thought it had to do with the big magnets on top, but not being knowledgeable with that motor I wasn't sure. So, why only one way travel?

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:06 pm

I don't understand the one direction in rotation, the polarity of the field windings would normally reverse rotation, but with the magnets, changing polarity on the brushes should change rotation. Ive tried proper rare earth magnets, but the motor wont self rotate without help from my fingers. The field isn't strong enough.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:45 pm

I recall seeing seeing many older loco models, both steam and diesels with permag motors having that manual odd reversing lever that throws/reverses the motor contact polarity. On steam it's sometimes camouflaged as a (rotating) steam dome, on some diesels I've seen it as an old style radio antenna.
More typically though it was mounted under the frame. I know both Maroon and J.S. Bach (and lord knows Carey William) have examples of such manually reversed permag equipped caste bronze examples.
I've now grown to appreciate permags; noisy, ozone emitting, Hoover Vacumn or Waring Blender like dynamos.
Oh well...
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:36 pm

Yes I have an All Nation Ten Wheeler and it has the manual reverse and and field wound motor, runs great, and a Scale Craft Hudson with the switch in the steam dome, but this now runs batteries.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”