Page 1 of 1

SCale Craft or CLW 4-8-4 Northern

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:25 pm
by Dennis Holler
I think I may have gotten my hook into one of these and I think it may be the early SC version. Still has the outside frame lead truck and the same full height tender as in the SC advertisement. I am curious, what other details differentiate the SC engine from the later updated CLW version?
Sorry no pictures yet but a link to the SC ad.
Image

Re: SCale Craft or CLW 4-8-4 Northern

Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:38 pm
by steamaheadstephen59
Theres one on the bay, but it has, no tender or valve gear. When people price things, I wonder if they appreciate just how much work it takes to replace those missing parts. Im not sure of the differences, I didn't think there where many, but I could be wrong .

Re: SCale Craft or CLW 4-8-4 Northern

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:42 pm
by De Bruin
I hadn't noticed the difference in pony trucks between the SC version and the CLW as you've mentioned them. Here's another one for you to compare.
Image
This one is in the RMCA collection and it's card record indicates it's a CLW, note inside frame on the pony truck.
The axles on the pony truck are bent sufficiently to pick every switch they encounter, I've removed and straightened them with little success such that we're now considering replacing them.
Image

Re: SCale Craft or CLW 4-8-4 Northern

Posted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:51 pm
by bob turner
Here is mine, again. It is still available on Maroon's "Northern" thread.

Image

Tender is Scale Craft upper, Lobaugh lower. Boiler and Cab are seriously modified. Only real flaw from my vantage point is the driver spacing, and I could fix that if I really wanted to.

Re: SCale Craft or CLW 4-8-4 Northern

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:09 pm
by Dennis Holler
The 4-8-4 showed up, and yes it needs a lot of work but cost less than half what that one on the bay is listed for and this one is pretty much complete except for a motor and I think it may have the wrong boiler front on it.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Pretty clear my 52 inch radius curves aren't nearly enough for this guy....
It looks like the drivers side wheels are insulated for two rail as well.

Re: SCale Craft or CLW 4-8-4 Northern

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:31 am
by steamaheadstephen59
Its a nice model over all, should clean up nice-lly . There could be a bigger curve in your future?

Re: SCale Craft or CLW 4-8-4 Northern

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:59 am
by Dennis Holler
Definitely need larger curves! I don't know that even 72" rad would get it. Big all flanged drivers and a long wheelbase. I mean the center wheels are probably 1/8" over the rail on even my 52" radius. But my devious mind is at work lol. the Brake rigging sure fills in those gaps like Bob was mentioning.

Re: SCale Craft or CLW 4-8-4 Northern

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:42 pm
by bob turner
Drivers will do ok on 72”. The problems arise with lead/trailing truck shorts, which are a minor problem on 74” R.

The tail beam is only 1/4” thick, but the inside of the rear wheel will strike it.

Yes, very smooth model - Smith did a good job on the gearbox.