Possible oxidation on Lionel “Baby Fatboy” speaker
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:30 am
I 2Red this car awhile ago and was going to add voltage spike protection tonight, but saw this possible issue. Curious if anyone here knows if this is the beginning of a failure mode for a speaker?
This speaker has been inside a plastic enclosure, yet has a white substance/powder/dust starting to cover it. I’m guessing the material (aluminum or zinc) is starting to oxidize, but unsure if it will lead to a shorting the speaker, etc. I have never seen a speaker do this. I have seen MTH speakers of a different build quality shed metal flakes and cause a short, but this doesn’t look to be the same phenomenon.
Maybe I clean it up with some chemical and then paint it to keep it from reoccurring. Maybe it needs to be replaced or the last option is ignore and do nothing. I just don’t want this thing to decide to short in a few years and blow the audio amp.
Car in question was made in 2019:
http://www.lionel.com/products/southern ... 4-1926660/
I didn’t find much on google that seems relevant to this type of speaker.
Thoughts?
This speaker has been inside a plastic enclosure, yet has a white substance/powder/dust starting to cover it. I’m guessing the material (aluminum or zinc) is starting to oxidize, but unsure if it will lead to a shorting the speaker, etc. I have never seen a speaker do this. I have seen MTH speakers of a different build quality shed metal flakes and cause a short, but this doesn’t look to be the same phenomenon.
Maybe I clean it up with some chemical and then paint it to keep it from reoccurring. Maybe it needs to be replaced or the last option is ignore and do nothing. I just don’t want this thing to decide to short in a few years and blow the audio amp.
Car in question was made in 2019:
http://www.lionel.com/products/southern ... 4-1926660/
I didn’t find much on google that seems relevant to this type of speaker.
Thoughts?