Central of Georgia!

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: Central of Georgia!

Postby bob turner » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:12 pm

Got it done. Some of the striping tape failed - I know which roll it came off of, and that roll goes out with the trash.

I may try masking just the bad areas and hitting it with orange - I may get one of those pens - and I may start over. But I like the way it looks - squint your eyes and it is a thing of beauty!

Photo someday soon.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:33 pm

Nope. It is "start over" time, with the good striping tape. White first, then orange, and new, better tape. The end result will be striking - even this failure is striking!

Saturday update: Success! Blue striping tape stuck where it was supposed to - baking the black now, and will touch up the grey tonight. Photos Tomorrow! Yay!

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:05 pm

First cut looked like this:

Second attempt with better striping tape:

Admittedly the lowest orange stripe dips a bit - thinking about fixing it . . .
I will let the paint set up for a week or so, then decal this thing. I am reasonably happy.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:44 pm

Decals are going on - I am delirious! Thanks, Pete! Photo later.

I note that the lettering is a bright yellow, contrasting with the orange stripes. That is the way it shows up on color photographs of the real thing.
The only flaw in the decals is that Champ did not use white under the orange on the nose logo. Someday we will re-do that with an
ALPS printer, or maybe a CallieGraphics vinyl sticker.

The lettering was done before I checked photos - a mistake. Still, it looks the way I wanted it to look - striking contrasts between blue/black, orange, and bright yellow. Today it goes back on the display shelf, and I begin striping an ACL Geep.

All of those ripples on the cab side? They do not show up normally; it is just the way the sunlight is hitting the finish. Good way to spot flaws.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”