3R model adapted to 2R (MRR RF16 "Sharks")

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
De Bruin

3R model adapted to 2R (MRR RF16 "Sharks")

Postby De Bruin » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:00 am

I decided to start a new topic for this category, not really a "paint shop" thing and likely won't involve any brass car-bodies (at least from me) and I know some of us dip into the three rail "catalog" for a particular model. Moving forward also want to invite anyone wanting to post here with examples of converting drives or machined chassis, would be most welcome too. Likewise topic includes rolling stock of any kind, as in not limited to locomotives.

I often wonder later what I was thinking acquiring some of my “projects.”
Exhibit ‘A’ this pair of Weaver PRC RF-16s. I’d lusted for a set of Baldwin Sharks since I was a teenager, later passing on brass sets due to the cost, recognizing my lack of skill with soldering as even back then I typically and compulsively re-finished everything. The only prototype I was really interested in anyway was Monongahela’s former NYC versions (though EJ&E’s original DR-4-4-1500 set are now on that list too.)
So when this Weaver AB set showed up in an estate sale last year for cheap, I jumped on it, even though it was a 3 to 2R conversion, decked out in PRR Brunswick w/antennas.. Basically the original owner took the PRC manufactured AB set and replaced the China-drive chassis with an older US Weaver FA chassis while leaving the dummy B-unit on the factory plate chassis. Since the un-powered, heavy B unit cast chassis was destroying the A unit’s US drive I decided to install another US chassis/drive into the B unit. While the PRC Weaver PVC shell has a different mounting screw post pattern than the original US FA chassis, that version’s styrene chassis was easily modified to match the PRC shell by re-locating/drilling new mounting screw holes and cementing the end stirrups for the nose or 'A' end of the chassis to the shell.
Voila; the remaining visual issue's the original owner’s conversion with the alignment of the plastic spacer insert filling the gap between the formerly truck mounted pilot and the car body.
Should be smooth from frame rail to the pilot but unfortunately is skewed with a misaligned set screw and lazily shaped fit. *sigh*
Clearly I'm over that, the rest of this shook out as follows; had to replace some cracked U-joints in the original A unit’s drive. Installed some P&D parts including an additional stirrup behind the pilot, nose hand grabs, horns, scratched fire-cracker antenna and new glazing. I’m pretty sure I would’ve passed on the whole project without K4Supply’s decal set for this but had to struggle to get some of that to fit these Weaver shells. I suspect some fudging on Weaver’s dimensions though the decals might have some issues too. Too late now.
Since this Weaver pair came with a B unit instead of another A unit I was relieved to discover that the K4 set included an accurate road number for the sole B unit the road briefly operated. Ideally, I need another A unit but settled for lighting up the B unit’s headlight. These ex-NYC cab sets operated as coal tractors and transfer service engines on the MRR supplementing that road’s large 27 unit (and by 1968 worn out) roster of Baldwin S12’s.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

86TA355SR

Re: 3R model adapted to 2R (MRR RF16 "Sharks")

Postby 86TA355SR » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:58 am

De Bruin wrote:[i]

I often wonder later what I was thinking acquiring some of my “projects.”.

Oh boy, can I relate to that statement!

I converted several pieces of rolling stock and a few passenger cars but not a locomotive yet. I didn’t have the equipment to convert locomotives until recently. Hopeful to wrap up a major project and convert a steam locomotive to 2 rail this winter. Keep you updated.

Anyone have the Joe Foehrkolb power point presentation he did on quartering steam locomotives? Believe it was from a National show?

Look forward to what others will post here.

big bad jim

Postby big bad jim » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:49 am

I have the Power Point files. Send me a PM or an email with your email address and I can send them to you.

Jim

86TA355SR

Postby 86TA355SR » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:45 am

big bad jim wrote:I have the Power Point files. Send me a PM or an email with your email address and I can send them to you.

Jim

Thanks Jim, PM sent with email address.

I sure appreciate it.

Aaron

big bad jim

Postby big bad jim » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:34 pm

Email bounced back. Check your PM.
Jim

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:22 pm

Well, not powered at all, but still a "Shark." Aluminum sand cast - would not mind having a couple more. Nice models, although aluminum does not hold details like PVC injection.

I should mention that I too have done maybe several conversions of good 3-rail models, including four Trainmasters, two Alco PAs, and several die cast steamers. Some 3-rail models are basically as good as they get - I could find no real fault with the Lionel 83000 series PA, and their UP FEF was simply spectacular. I converted an MTH J1e Hudson - it was already 2-rail, but not very satisfactorily so. It surely rivals brass in appearance.

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:52 pm

Image I like that Lionel got the Trucks right. I two railed it and lowered it.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:19 pm

The AHM C-liner doesn't really count as 3R-to-2R conversion, but I'm going to post a pair anyway:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/go10opdz54w4w1x6472uf/2021-10-AHM-NYC-C-Liners-01.JPG?rlkey=f682fmx8fcrf8x7vik2q9aapn

As I understand it, the AHM made both HO and O versions. The HO version is supposedly a complete mess. The O version as issues, but at least it is scaled reasonably well. The three most common knocks I hear on the O version are 1) inadequate pulling power, 2) ridiculously large front coupler pocket, and 3) only sold as PRR or ATSF. The units shown here are the work of John Fisher of Corvallis, Oregon. He has addressed all three problems. He kitbashed an A unit into a B, fixed the front pilot, and painted the set NYC. Both use units have the original AHM drive. There are better options, as All Nation, CLW, or Car Works all offered repowering kits. I can report, however, that the pair with original drives pulls a nominal string of doorstop-era cars with no problem.

I will take better photos next time the pair gets a road assignment.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:33 pm

Diligently trying not to get sucked into a C-Liner. It would have to be metal, and my ability to find foundries capable of this sort of thing for less than a half a grand is at a new low. Besides, it would have to be the five axle version. MTH did those, I think, so if I were given to plastic locomotives that would be the choice. Nice paint!

The big problem with the AHM drive, I think, was its wimpy pickup. The motor is small, but it was designed to haul three plastic freight cars and a plastic caboose. It came with a loop of track and all those cars for $14 in the mid-1970s. I was buying them and giving them to little kids.

Stephen - really nice photo. More, please.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:46 am

.... I like that Lionel got the Trucks right. I two railed it and lowered it.

Me too Stephen, certainly looks as good some of the brass versions I've seen. What was the process for two railing this?
Likewise how much "surgery" did you have to perform to lower the bolster/car body?
Nice model, wow!
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:28 am

Any comments on the "New Jersey" LOL Custom Brass version, nee: (Nick & Jack)? If those guys had a buck for every time people got that name wrong they wouldn't have had to sell anything! I have an A+B fermenting in the box, and not enough Moxie to get them started! LOL

C-Liner, like Turner, another case of metalosis! :lol: :lol: Need a set of Car Works brass trucks and some more of that Moxie, :lol:

Happy Hoildays! (guess it's not too soon for that)

PS: Pete, your Monongahela has a nice look.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Dec 03, 2023 2:37 pm

Wasn't clear whether Rich was talking about C-Liners in a box or Sharks.

That Lionel Shark appears to be quite accurate - I even like the windshields - often the sticking point in these models. And the trucks appear sufficiently long.

There is a pair of MTH Sharks in EJ & E orange and green on eBay at the moment - stunning paint job, although I do not care for the large curved "swoop" at the nose. I was only aware of PRR, B&O, NYC, and D&H Sharks, but found a prototype photo, so EJ & E had at least one.

I am definitely not a "student" of the Shark - but it seems like MTH missed the wheelbase by a mile, and maybe the windshield by a bit. As I understand it, the Williams brass models missed the windshield area by a bunch. Again, not a student, so - Opinion.

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:10 pm

steamaheadstephen59 wrote: I like that Lionel got the Trucks right. I two railed it and lowered it.

Really nice job. Was the horn really a bronze color on the prototype? Not calling it out as an issue, but looks pretty cool if it was.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:27 pm

Image Image Image Image

More Pictures can't remember how I lowered it, its not hard, just fiddley. On the other form I think a member was doing a Shark and I got the general idea, and Id done an MTH SD70ACE and its pretty much the same ( lowering the model ) P&D provided the wheels (Weaver) I used the original axles, and had to bore the wheel accordingly, as I remember.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Dec 04, 2023 1:11 am

That's some pretty clever "fiddling" there, again looks great! I also like the more accurate(longer) sized tank/battery box over the FA sets.
Did it come as an AB or AA set?

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”