Page 1 of 1
Who's 2-8-8-4 Is This ?
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:22 pm
by steamaheadstephen59
Re: Who's 2-8-8-4 Is This ?
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:28 am
by up148
It's definitely a "Yellowstone" design and the gear boxes look like a hybrid MG, but I can't find any evidence of this style loco ever wearing UP logo either. The trailing truck detail/rigging is amazing and in fact all the detail looks much nicer than a MG to me. This is a really nice loco.
Re: Who's 2-8-8-4 Is This ?
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:46 am
by bob turner
Could it be a modified AC-4?
Re: Who's 2-8-8-4 Is This ?
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:53 pm
by steamaheadstephen59
Yes the quality of lost wax castings, but with the older gear boxes is interesting. So! there were four railroads that used the Yellowstone wheel arrangement according to Google. SP, B&O,NP, and DMIR ???
Re: Who's 2-8-8-4 Is This ?
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:24 pm
by steamaheadstephen59
What about a modified USRA 2-8-8-2 ??
Re: Who's 2-8-8-4 Is This ?
Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:33 pm
by Chris Webster
bob turner wrote:Could it be a modified AC-4?
I think Bob is right - to me, it looks like an AC-4 with a replacement cab, front number boards and bell off a big boy, and the headlight-supporting box on the too-long front (formerly rear) platform. The domes, double stack, air pump on the engineer's side all seem to match the AC-4.
Re: Who's 2-8-8-4 Is This ?
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:51 pm
by steamaheadstephen59
The locomotive in question arrived today, a box with things in it other than the locomotive, and a torn label, and the only legible letters AC-4 so Im certain Bob got this one right, with Chris.
Re: Who's 2-8-8-4 Is This ?
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:35 pm
by bob turner
I would convert that back so quick . . . The Max AC-4 was one of his best models (his AC-12, by contrast, was the worst) and I saw one sell for $2500 at an OSW decades ago.
That may be an AC-9 mechanism with AC-4 drivers - I have seen such a mechanism. I will check the Max bible in a minute.
Nope - not even close. The builder shortened the platform and skillfully added stuff to make it look like a conventional locomotive.
With the Bible open to page 47/48, (Spotters Guide II) all I see changed is the Cab, frame and 4-wheel truck, the rear platform, and the stack. Save those number boards.
Re: Who's 2-8-8-4 Is This ?
Posted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:11 am
by steamaheadstephen59
So! Bob this arraignment of the AC-4 didn't really exist? So if I changed out the cab and put the tender at the front of the loco, and changed the smock stack, It would be right again?