Cab Forward 2023

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
R.K. Maroon

Re: Cab Forward 2023

Postby R.K. Maroon » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:59 pm

Wow -- great thread, Bob. Thanks for posting all the photos and providing the descriptions. I don't have to pile on the accolades for the cabforwards in general, but I do find the smaller ones compelling, maybe because the others are more commonly seen.

As an aside, I looked at that last photo before reading the caption and thought, "Hey, that looks like Charlie Morrill's layout", which it is. What I didn't think was, "and I took that photo". How quickly we forget. I believe Charlie acquired that particular cabforward because it would fit his layout (or maybe his turntable). The others were too long.

I have a cabforward but not good photos. I'll work on that.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:14 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:As an aside, I looked at that last photo before reading the caption and thought, "Hey, that looks like Charlie Morrill's layout", which it is. What I didn't think was, "and I took that photo". How quickly we forget. Jim

Jim, There are 3 signs of old age: First one is loss of memory....and I forget the other 2 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:24 pm

Bob, A most impressive portfolio!

You are correct about museums selling things, but then ultimately it will ALL go in the great cosmic trash bin. Maybe better to have a few moments "in the sun".

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:01 pm

Agree with the posts here Bob; fabulous builds and a worthy series of prototypes. Wow!
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Retroniac1

Postby Retroniac1 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:08 am

Bob,
Thank you for reviving this thread. I love Cab forwards! The MC-6 seems the more unique to my eye since there have been variations of the others in past production. I like the weathering on all the pieces. Given the amount time, talent and dedication to build these locos, they are works of art.

I know what you mean about donations. In fact I have benefited from a museum selling what they considered “junk.” Sometimes it helps to aim high for museums. My opinion is that the Lobaugh and custom built pieces are worthy of the Smithsonian, and I mean that sincerely. The best model train museum that I can think of is in Switzerland. But who wants to send their stuff to Europe. Website:https://www.galleriabaumgartner.ch/en/

I know that the Golden State Model Railroad Museum has a small long-standing display of donated pieces. The trolley museum in Perris displays Bill Everett’s custom built O trolleys but you have make special arrangements to see it. The Western Railway Museum in Suisun City, CA seems well endowed and would likely not sell the collection. BTW this museum is really like going back in time. They have something like 8 miles of the old SN track. I rode a wooden combine trolley there and it was an experience that I will never forget. Their website is wrm.org.

Thanks again for a very interesting thread!
Rob

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”