Bi-Polar

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
De Bruin

Re: Bi-Polar

Postby De Bruin » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:14 pm

Your welcome Dan, I thrive on hitting the "stacks" or the inter-web for that kind of minutia.
E7 wrote:.....any progress with the new locale for the Atlanta club?

We're at least better organized with the two local clubs now merged, membership up to 19 which is double from last year and having a well-led and organized search committee; but it's been a slog with 9 months of searches, vetting, walk-throughs, offers etc.
Some personal politics as you'd expect too in that some will only accept locales close to their homes, others object to the more affordable properties due to the perceived security issues in a given area. so I'm leaving it up to the rest of the membership. Wayne's club example of buying some land and building to suit has resonated though and gotten some traction, but that's problematic too as well for reasons that would make for some pretty obvious if not dry reading hence my " thread drift" here's otherwise complete.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Retroniac1

Postby Retroniac1 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:10 am

Bob,
I have been out of the country and just catching up. I may have some or all the parts that you need for the second Bipolar except the pantographs. I can take a look this evening.

BTW this is great work. Like you I am also fascinated by the MR electrics, particularly the Bipolar.
Rob

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:56 am

Thanks. No need, though - I made an aluminum plate in about 30 minutes of effort, and it snaps on perfectly.

I am all out of large pantographs, so may capture a pair of Lionel GG1 pans - they are widely available. I have the 2-rail unit standing , and will temporarily install smaller pans and do a photo shoot.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:50 pm

Here they are - the one on the left is 2-rail, but not yet operational. I think I have maybe $170 invested, having lucked out with Perry's Hobbies on a set of cab castings about two years ago and a mechanism last month. Patience is a virtue.

I note that both are sitting a little unevenly - ever try to get 28 wheels on the track all at the same time, while the wheels you have been successful with are quite jealous that maybe some other wheels will make the grade?

And those small pantographs! They just won't do. But I am patient.

Retroniac1

Postby Retroniac1 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 11:24 pm

Bob,
It looks great. Patience has always been a valuable trait, especially in O scale.When will you start the other.
Rob

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:27 am

Bob, those do look good. I thought I was following along, but somehow I missed the fact that you had two of these. If you get a chance, would you take individual shots, post them, and identify the manufacturer? As far as I know, NJ Custom Brass did the only bipolar in brass, while the Lionel and MTH versions are both cast (but maybe I am wrong?). Further, the Custom Brass and MTH models are the "pre-rebuild" version, while the Lionel model is the "after rebuild" version, which is notable for its rounded nose.

Here is the Custom Brass version:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/647gf9zawy6v3ywa4y33d/Custom-Brass-Bi-Polar-As-Delivered-Paint-01.JPG?rlkey=xuq4qkecl6dv518f8fc9ts11l&dl=0

The MTH version can be seen here:
https://mthtrains.com/premier/spotlight/04_2019/f

And the Lionel here:
https://www.trainz.com/products/lionel-6-18389-milwaukee-road-bipolar-electric-e-1
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:06 pm

Both of mine are the MTH versions. The reason I have two is because I got pieces from Perry at a favorable price, and in between an entire unit from retroniac for a very favorable price.

I will 2-rail the one on the right in the future, but I think I shall subcontract for steel driver tires and machine a new mandrel for better concentricity - the current 2-rail wheels have ever so slight eccentricity, and while they will track ok, there may be some extra wobble (probably not unlike the real thing).

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:44 pm

Well, welcome back, and thanks to our hosts for continuing MTJ.

My brother Mike is going to ask for a quote for a hundred Bi-Polar driver tires - anybody have a copy of the RP-25 O Scale wheel contour drawing?

I want to get Bob Stevenson involved, since he has moved to the North Carolina area and has experience in this sort of thing - but we are still in the early planning stage.

Edit: a very quick google search got me the official NMRA drawing. It may wind up too expensive, but with CNC or the modern equivalent, it might not be - if we do it, I was thinking of .180 overall disc width (as opposed to the standard .172) but for marketability in other applications the 172 standard might be better.

I have run .145 and .115, and am of the opinion that for my tracklaying skills, .155 is rock-bottom minimum. Sunset apparently agreed with me in the 1990s.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”