Alco PA and FA 2023

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: Alco PA and FA 2023

Postby E7 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:44 am

bob turner wrote:Changed my mind. It will be GM&O. Red and maroon.

There is a great shot of a GM&O E7 at the beginning of the film "In The Heat of the Night" arriving with Philadelphia Detective Virgil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier).

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:44 pm

De Bruin wrote:Looks great! Kudos on successfully applying the Alclad, that stuff confounds me. That warbonnet decal set isn't exactly "easy-peezy" either.
Well done!

I agree with my brother on this. That set is really sharp. My warbonnet cast PAs are painted aluminum, and they look dull by comparison.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:21 pm

Discussion on OGR about Right-Of-Way brass 3-Rail PAs. I have never seen one, but photos looked ok. Anybody know if they were full size? Easy to tell, because Lionel and MTH PAs are indeed full size.

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:14 am

bob turner wrote:Yep. see the old Doorstop thread, from which almost all my photos have been stripped.

Here are my Doorstop PAs with new Micro decals. The sides are Alclad II stainless; the rest not red or decalled is Duplicolor silver. Very happy.

My nickel silver MTH PA is now in silver primer with warbonnet red, and will get chrome (probably Alclad) sides. The decals are neat, but only have right side winged logos. Theoretically, Microscale is looking in to it.

That looks great.

I've known about Alclad II for awhile now. What directions did you follow to apply it? IIRC it either requires or looks best with a black undercoat? Was it difficult to apply and how did you do the glosscote required to hide the decal edges? Testor's, something else, or nothing?
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:43 am

Gloss black out of a Dupli-Color rattle can, then Alclad II out of my model H Paasche gun. I don't think you have to thin it. Two coats. Then with a clean cotton swab a layer of Future Floor Wax (they changed the name, but it is clear acrylic wax).

Then decals, Microsolve, and after a week, another wiped-on coat of acrylic wax.

I have no idea why the black works, but it does.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”