Last Train to Danville - RMCA moves out of Old Fourth Ward

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
De Bruin

Last Train to Danville - RMCA moves out of Old Fourth Ward

Postby De Bruin » Fri May 12, 2023 8:04 pm

After some 70 plus years of continuous operations, The Rail Model Club of Atlanta has moved out of its building in the Old Fourth Ward of Atlanta. The already gentrifying neighborhood had been designated an opportunity zone by the county which likewise further encouraged the frenzy of construction which had over the past five years made the location even more problematic for our membership such that we voted to sell out. MARTA’s (local transit agency) recent decision to extend their circulator light rail line up to the Belt Line via our street further confirmed the timeliness of our decision, as the parking was already untenable and will only further become expensive if not unavailable.
Other factors weighed in heavily, the building had become problematic for us with its limited stair-only access to the second floor, the layout itself needed a complete electrical upgrade and was “long-in-the-tooth” from a technology standpoint, I personally would be pleasantly surprised if I was ever able to run a schedule on as good and well designed a layout as this one was, and I will miss it terribly (though not the crawling around on my hands and knees part locating and rerailing a derailment on one of the many (approximately one-third of the mainline) tunnels on this pike …splinters and spiders you know 8^)

So adios Edgewood Avenue, we’re now in the process of locating a new building. I’d like to share the following Facebook link of a “cab ride” of the old Great Southern Lines' Wallace, Clayton and Tyler Divisions made by our club president’s (Pete Silcox) son Perry, a professional media producer who generously spent a large amount of his time filming and documenting the club during its final days of operation downtown. He shot it using a Go-Pro camera mounted on a depressed center flat pushed by a road switcher, and is lengthy as this was a very long layout in terms of route "mileage" and there is a small bit of duplication in the footage.
https://youtu.be/RA0BQXmagXQ
Nevertheless I hope you enjoy it, I sure did. On behalf of our current membership I'd like thank all our visitors, supporters and former members we've had over the years too.
Pete DeBruin
RMCA Inc.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

J. S. Bach

Re: Last Train to Danville - RMCA moves out of Old Fourth Ward

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri May 12, 2023 8:33 pm

Interesting. Now I wish that I had been able make a visit there. Is anything going to be salvaged for a possible new layout? Me, i would be saving the double-crossover seen in an early part of the trip.

PS: Have fun taking that locomotive bell down the steps! :mrgreen:

healey36

Postby healey36 » Sat May 13, 2023 10:34 am

A lot of history gone with the move, which is unfortunate. Hopefully the membership has enough left in the tank to create a similar pike at the new venue. Thanks for the video link.

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:16 pm

Wish you guys luck on a new spot. Glad I was able to visit when I could.

Hopefully with the gentrification of that area, you were able to get a good sum for the spot and find something reasonable. Of course you have to start over on the build. I had also noticed the distillery left, so I'm guessing that played into your decision to vacate as well.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:57 am

I can not watch 27 minutes of anything, let alone trackwork, but it looks from the first few moments that you have something worthy of national historical preservation, at least. Shame to see it go - be sure to share more "stills." Thanks!

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:33 pm

I must say I’m blown away by how quiet and smooth that track work is. Maybe a couple of clicks running through some of the turnouts.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:23 am

The track work was all hand laid in the late 1940's and early 50's, approximately 2400 lineal feet of steel and bronze code 172 with 6ft minimum mainline radius , the old club FAQ flyer listed approx man hours for construction estimated at 5000 for the bench work and 7000 for the track,106 turnouts, 2 turntables and 9 bridges all hand built.
The track held up well gauge-wise over the decades though we noticed gauge spreading on the long sweeping main-line curves from the lateral force created by the doorstops hauling heavy, old style cars. All in all, pretty reliable though. The worst issues were at the end when we started having severe roof failures/leaking causing warping and rust, not to mention mold.

Here's an additional "tour" video with the camera mounted on the flat car sideways, kind of slow at the start but gets more "interesting" around six minutes in.
https://youtu.be/kyZwEdKxwzY

I sure do miss it, makes me sad to watch these now. :(
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:57 am

Pete, A great piece of documentation, and GREAT track work as others have affirmed. What would also be interesting is a roster of what ran on the layout!

Rich

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:21 am

E7 wrote:...What would ...be interesting is a roster of what ran on the layout!
Rich

Thnks Rich, a comprehensive roster of all the power that ran on the GSL since 1938 would be interesting in parts, but really too big to compile as more power has come and gone with its owner(s) than any single member could recall or document. The club had a fairly comprehensive card file(remember those?) of locomotives that unfortunately stopped being maintained sometime ago. For me the highlights are the ones that I missed predating my membership. Specifcally a WM Shay, a C&O 2-6-6-2 and a AA set of Adams & Sons E6's in the L&N cream and blue that were purportedly the most powerful engines to ever operate on the club.
The club currently has it's own roster as well, accumulated from member and estate donations too, however it's not that large.
Alternately, if you were to search this forum for my posts there are numerous examples of the club's locomotives that I have written up with photos.
Pete

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:03 pm

Thank You Pete! It's always interesting to know what's running around out there, as the locos and cars are the "spice" of the layout! Best of luck in your new location!

Rich

webenda

Postby webenda » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:51 am

Railroad Model Club of Atlanta
https://www.atlantamagazine.com/news-cu ... urth-ward/
It is sad to leave what you have become accustomed to De Bruin but I am sure y'all will find a better place that will attract new members.
When the Gadsden-Pacific Division Toy Train Operating Museum in Tucson, Arizona moved they purchased some land and built their own building.
https://gpdtrains.org/about-us/
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”