Page 1 of 1

Brass Custom UP Veranda Turbine

Posted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:26 am
by Retroniac1
This was supposedly built by Bill Melis of Salt Lake City. It has a USH drivetrain. If anybody knows about his work, please comment.

Bob, thanks for posting other pics under the U50 topic

Re: Brass Custom UP Veranda Turbine

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:09 pm
by gregj410
Welcome to the forum Retroniac1!

Re: Brass Custom UP Veranda Turbine

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 5:45 pm
by Rufus T. Firefly
Retroniac1 wrote:This was supposedly built by Bill Melis of Salt Lake City. It has a USH drivetrain. If anybody knows about his work, please comment.


There was some info on the man over on OGR when you posted the photos there, but nothing more on his models than:

His U.P. 8500 Turbine took first place in the UPHS Convention on August 14, 1896. One of his "O" gauge Centennial DD40X Diesel models is on display in the Union Pacific Museum in Los Angeles, California.


I'm guessing that the 1896 might be 1986? But I know nothing more about him or his models than was I've read on OGR. Maybe the UPHS has some information and could be worth contacting?

Re: Brass Custom UP Veranda Turbine

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 8:42 pm
by E7
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:I'm guessing that the 1896 might be 1986? But I know nothing more about him or his models than was I've read on OGR. Maybe the UPHS has some information and could be worth contacting?


Now hold on there one minisle! Might be a good excuse for you to model a turbine! I can see it now:

The BIG BLOW on the CVRR! :mrgreen:

Re: Brass Custom UP Veranda Turbine

Posted: Mon May 08, 2023 9:07 pm
by J. S. Bach
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: