Looking for two sideframes

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Looking for two sideframes

Postby bob turner » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:58 am

I am almost sure this was Lobaugh, designed for a large ATSF tender. Easily mistaken for, say, a crude E6 sideframe. I have only this truck, and would love to capture two more sideframes to make a pair:

Image

User avatar
Rufus T. Firefly
Posts: 42165
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:52 am
Location: To be Determined

Re: Looking for two sideframes

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:53 am

Disassemble, make mold from parts, cast in material of choice, drill holes for wheels and center block, etc.
If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Looking for two sideframes

Postby bob turner » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:37 pm

I have done that in the past. Not that desperate at the moment - just hoping to find originals to complete this part of my collection.

My dentist (and partner in some airplanes) has a new scanner that can do a better job than a vulcanized mold - no shrinkage, and no extra steps. It may be in my lifetime that metal printing will become semi-affordable.

Still, this is just a collectors item.

J. S. Bach
Posts: 5820
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 9:30 pm

Re: Looking for two sideframes

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:49 pm

I have a bunch of Lobaugh trucks in my stash but have yet to come across any of those. My favorite is the three-axle Buckeye.

86TA355SR
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:52 pm

Re: Looking for two sideframes

Postby 86TA355SR » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:48 pm

Checked with Bob Stevenson?

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Looking for two sideframes

Postby bob turner » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:10 pm

Bob could easily make copies - but I don't think he has the Lobaugh match plates. I am just hoping to capture two originals just in case I want to make another tender. I certainly don't "need" them.

User avatar
R.K. Maroon
Posts: 3136
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: Looking for two sideframes

Postby R.K. Maroon » Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:31 pm

This is the only Lobaugh truck in my collection that comes anywhere close:

Image

Close, but no cigar. These are "top-equalized" passenger trucks. They don't appear in the 1941 catalog but are listed in the 1953. For what it's worth, the tender trucks are not shown in either of those catalogs.

Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size

bob turner
Posts: 13648
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Looking for two sideframes

Postby bob turner » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:39 pm

Some of my Walthers Pullman’s roll on those. I think I have seen the tender truck in a list of Lobaugh trucks - probably in an early A-N catalog.

Also looking for a damaged Berk boiler to cut up. Don’t want to cut my last unbuilt boiler.

Current projects - 81” drivered Atlantic and aluminum B unit. Photos someday.


Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 139 guests