PRR K5

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
PRRK4s

PRR K5

Postby PRRK4s » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:31 pm

I'm assuming others have seen this recent ebay listing. Seller lists the model as an Icken built K5 4-6-2. Presumably because of the Icken signature on the smoke box. But to me after looking at all the included photos it appears to be a Mi-Loco K5. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if Icken ever took other company models and did any modifications to them and in the end add his own "builder plate". From the pics and the seen chips in the paint one can see it is an aluminum Mi-Loco boiler casting, loco frame and I'm assuming tender shell and trucks (which the latter are incorrect type). Not seen is the motor and gearing to see if it was modified, possibly by Icken. Interesting model but way to rich for me, especially if it's not a true Icken built model.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266094158791?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CBQZsDmzSSO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=5AoOOHpGQAS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

bob turner

Re: PRR K5

Postby bob turner » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:17 pm

Mi-Locos were $200 for a nice one last time I checked. Icken did nice work, but even the ones completely built from scratch are usually under a grand. And Max Gray took the entire hobby up about three notches.

Um - Opinion.

I will need to open those pictures on a bigger computer to see. At one point I restored a Mi-Loco K5. You can tell mine because under the fairly green Brunswick you will find a coat of weathered Tuscan. Done for Frank Thomson of Philadelphia.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:25 pm

Yeah, the raised lettering cast in under the cylinders sure says MI LOCO K5S.
Sure looks like ScaleCraft K4S tender trucks.
I do like the huge (relatively) flathead slotted screws holding the smokebox front on.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:33 pm

Agree. Even stock gearing, apparently. These are nice early models, and run quite well, but still in the $200 category. This one is medium quality. Mi-Loco did make more or less correct tender trucks - quite distinctive.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:43 am

Yup, here's another example, one of the oldest locomotives on the club and still runs like a watch. Should also note that it is remarkably powerful for it's size and can still pull eight heavyweight Walthers/AN/Lobaugh passenger cars with ease. It's big for a pacific too, like the P-13, appears to be 17/64's though I've been told the prototype K5 was a big pacific to begin with. These are really cool "senior citizens."
Agree though, that ebay listing's price is......a tad much.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:29 pm

That one is a Scale Craft K4. They are nice runners - the best are the ones with gear on the center axle and removable drivers. I have four. Yes, I think 17/64, but I have not measured.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:13 pm

deadsville, huh? Just for that you get to again endure my K4 collection.

This one is my favorite - Tuscan (Scalecoat - sigh).
First thing I do when they come through the door is add flanges to the center driver. Then smokebox and firebox - and cab. I never bother with the tender - I of course have the skill, but I am sort of happy without the rivets.

Sorry for the repetition.

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:15 pm

Hello all

Icken was a hired hand for scratch building , re powering , 3 to 2 rail conversions , and kit building , etc ...

example on ebay is nice ...but way over priced for the small number of collectors for such things.

Bob was very kind to point out a MI Loco K 5 last year ....thank you

here is a video link to see it run

https://youtu.be/E5HE9Up2P7Y

cheers Carey

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:27 pm

I love your videos. Slow them down so we can appreciate the models - and when do we get "stills" of all those interesting models in the background?

Another K4, since I am sticking my name at the end of another thread -

This one is bone yard stock, except for the coined drivers. I have a set of Scale Craft drivers, but they need machining.
Even the paint is ancient. I may have done the flat black on the smokebox, and surely painted the drivers, but the finish and decals probably go back to the 1930s. You can see an "alligator" cracking in some of the finish - I preserved it with a coat of Future Floor Wax.

Almost all my K4s suffer modification of a serious nature - this one is a counter point.

healey36

Postby healey36 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:40 pm

My childhood K5:

S-gauge 2-rail...just sayin'.

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:21 pm

Well Ive been trying to score one of these at a reasonable price for a few years now, but the price! It would cost over $4500,00 to get it to Australia. I did ask the seller If he could show the drive. I suspect Iken only did a 2 rail conversion thou, you can just pick up what seems to be insulation on one side.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”