Postby bob turner » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:53 pm
I am going to bury this here. There is an object lesson somewhere in here. Handrail stanchions may seem trivial, but you cannot buy them anymore. Henry Pearce used to make them, and his nephew would drill a few each morning before school.
I was given a supply of handrail posts by one of our very generous forumites. Now and then I get requests for Lobaugh parts, and that generous forumite (among others) has taught me to pay it forward. I try to do that. More on how that works in a minute.
One of the OST folks contacted me about a modeler who needed 12 posts. Sure - off they went. I paid the postage - couple bucks. My condition: that he write a nice thank-you note to the original donor. Just a "thank you." Not difficult - costs a fifty cent stamp.
Instead he wrote a letter complaining about mis-matches, and apparently demanding that slotted ones be replaced with drilled.
I heard about that, and hopefully corrected whatever mis-impression was forwarded instead of a simple thank you.
Yesterday I got a complaint letter. It sounded an awful lot like he was blaming me for the high cost of the mis-matched parts. Well, maybe me and OST. He said that the five posts he could use cost him five bucks each! Worse, the guy he was supposed to send a simple "thank you" note to wouldn't even make things right!
Giving the guy some slack - we all cannot be bright enough to appreciate gifts - the average IQ is 100, and for every 136 there has to be a 64 out there somewhere - and of course there can be other valid excuses, I suppose.
Unrelated to trains - I also have been known to give away Piper Cub parts that I don't need. I converted to disc brakes, and have been known to send original brakes to folks in need. Once in a blue moon - well, once! - I see a person to whom I have given parts to actually selling them! For hundreds of dollars!
With only one exception (the gifter passed on, and the gift was of substantial value) I personally will never, ever sell an item that has been given to me as an item of friendship. Never.