Stevenson 0-6-0

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Norton

Re: Stevenson 0-6-0

Postby Norton » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:32 pm

Thanks Bob. Thats one reason I don’t post here much anymore. My photo hosting site closed its doors a few years ago taking some of my images with it. When I get caught up later I will have some questions here and continue posting pics on OGR so at least they can be viewed.

Pete

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:51 pm

You do not keep the original photos on your own computer????

Norton

Postby Norton » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:24 pm

I do now. This was many computers ago. Win 95 boxes long gone.

Pete

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:29 pm

Suggest Shutterfly. They do not seem to mind. I would buy stuff from them if they knew how to crop locomotive photos

Norton

Postby Norton » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:10 pm

Bob, anyone, I have hit a snag and have a question. I am finding the parts are quite crude and take a lot of work to get them functional, in particular the drive components. Wheel bearings are cast and not centered and fit loosely in the frame channels. I can smooth them out and build them up for a better fit. The problem I have now is the crankpin offset is not consistent from driver the driver. No easy way to prevent siderod binding without ovaling the holes. They vary by as much as .2mm. Not sure pulling them out, filling the hole and boring a new hole is possible here. Even if I can eliminate most of the binding it makes for a pretty sloppy drive.
I am thinking of replacing the drivers with better quality and would like to know where to look. I know PSC has or had them but have not used them so don’t know how much of an improvement they would be. The wheels are 56”. TIA

Pete

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:05 pm

I addressed this in my write up - Bob just replaced the out-of-tolerance discs.

If he can’t do that I suggest drilling them oversized, plugging with a brass screw, maybe into a partially tapped hole to lock it without solder, and re-drill.

Oval holes are not a great solution- but often you have to take a little metal out to avoid binding.

Norton

Postby Norton » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:39 pm

I should have read your full post. I will contact Bob.

Pete

Norton

Postby Norton » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:01 pm

Just wanted to post an update. You have to refer to the thread below if you want to see photos. While looking for solutions for fixing the drivers I started assembling the shell. Detail still to be added to both the shell and chassis.
I was hoping to replace the driver centers with ones from PSC but find they are too small. I now know 51” refers the final driver dimension vs the size of the center. I chalk it up to the tuition fee at the school of hard knocks.
The drivers are off both in the pre quartering (square axle) and crank pin offset.
I filled in the offending crank pin holes and soldered in some brass and redrilled. I also drilled the square holes round and am using 3/16 dowel pins for axles and will be able to quarter in the more conventional way. Just waiting for some shim washers to minimize side play.
Once I get it to roll smooth I will continue the build.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/ste ... -6-0-build

Pete

ps. Anyone looking for 51” driver centers I have 4 pairs. 3 light counterweight, 1 medium.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:14 pm

Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”