Pick One and Get It Done
Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:27 pm
It is my experience that most of the models that come my way are not "layout ready" upon arrival. I like to attribute this to my interest in older, craftsmen models, but I have observed that I am not alone in having a LOT of projects sitting in the closet or under the layout. I accept this condition but find it particularly frustrating to have models that are close to ready to run sitting around waiting for me to pay them some nominal amount of attention. I was discussing this with my brother recently, and he came up with this bit of wisdom: Pick one and get it done. So I made a list of "short and easy" projects and decided to get started. Here is the first:


This is a Bernie Corbin Allegheny. Bernie is mostly known for his CB&Q models (and his broader contributions to documenting CB&Q history), but he did make a few other models. This one came from an O-scaler in the midwest who bought it directly from Corbin many years ago. The drawbar is an assembly of bakelight and brass bar stock. The model arrived with the bakelite section broken in half and with a lot of collateral spalling damage. I decided to fabricate a new one out of Garolite. I epoxied the old one back together to use as a template. I decided to give it a test spin with the repaired drawbar before proceeding, just to see if it had other issues. Short video here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/me95ymqy83egp22/Corbin%20Allegheny%20Test%20Run.mp4?raw=1
For the most part it runs smoothly, but there is an intermittent open in the tender wiring. I'll get that looked at, finish the new drawbar, and put it in revenue service. More later.
By the way, I recognize that acquiring such a nice model, only to put it on a shelf, is something of an embarrassment. Knowing that I am not the first person to do this does not make it any less of a shame. I am trying amend my errant ways.
Jim


This is a Bernie Corbin Allegheny. Bernie is mostly known for his CB&Q models (and his broader contributions to documenting CB&Q history), but he did make a few other models. This one came from an O-scaler in the midwest who bought it directly from Corbin many years ago. The drawbar is an assembly of bakelight and brass bar stock. The model arrived with the bakelite section broken in half and with a lot of collateral spalling damage. I decided to fabricate a new one out of Garolite. I epoxied the old one back together to use as a template. I decided to give it a test spin with the repaired drawbar before proceeding, just to see if it had other issues. Short video here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/me95ymqy83egp22/Corbin%20Allegheny%20Test%20Run.mp4?raw=1
For the most part it runs smoothly, but there is an intermittent open in the tender wiring. I'll get that looked at, finish the new drawbar, and put it in revenue service. More later.
By the way, I recognize that acquiring such a nice model, only to put it on a shelf, is something of an embarrassment. Knowing that I am not the first person to do this does not make it any less of a shame. I am trying amend my errant ways.
Jim