Pick One and Get It Done

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
R.K. Maroon

Pick One and Get It Done

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:27 pm

It is my experience that most of the models that come my way are not "layout ready" upon arrival. I like to attribute this to my interest in older, craftsmen models, but I have observed that I am not alone in having a LOT of projects sitting in the closet or under the layout. I accept this condition but find it particularly frustrating to have models that are close to ready to run sitting around waiting for me to pay them some nominal amount of attention. I was discussing this with my brother recently, and he came up with this bit of wisdom: Pick one and get it done. So I made a list of "short and easy" projects and decided to get started. Here is the first:

This is a Bernie Corbin Allegheny. Bernie is mostly known for his CB&Q models (and his broader contributions to documenting CB&Q history), but he did make a few other models. This one came from an O-scaler in the midwest who bought it directly from Corbin many years ago. The drawbar is an assembly of bakelight and brass bar stock. The model arrived with the bakelite section broken in half and with a lot of collateral spalling damage. I decided to fabricate a new one out of Garolite. I epoxied the old one back together to use as a template. I decided to give it a test spin with the repaired drawbar before proceeding, just to see if it had other issues. Short video here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/me95ymqy83egp22/Corbin%20Allegheny%20Test%20Run.mp4?raw=1

For the most part it runs smoothly, but there is an intermittent open in the tender wiring. I'll get that looked at, finish the new drawbar, and put it in revenue service. More later.

By the way, I recognize that acquiring such a nice model, only to put it on a shelf, is something of an embarrassment. Knowing that I am not the first person to do this does not make it any less of a shame. I am trying amend my errant ways.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Re: Pick One and Get It Done

Postby bob turner » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:52 pm

My loop has not been connected for two years. I feel no shame or guilt - I enjoy seeing my models on the shelf.

That is a very nice example of scratchbuilding. Makes me want to put gears in my Allegheny and run it. The video makes me want to add scenery! Nicely done, and a really welcome addition to our moribundity.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:55 pm

That is a very nice example of scratchbuilding. Nicely done,

Good to see someone actually doing any modeling at all here.

and a really welcome addition to our moribundity.

There are at best a single digit number of actual modelers posting on MTJ now.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:55 pm

Nice model and layout for sure! Thanks for posting.

86TA355SR

Postby 86TA355SR » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:00 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:…..and he came up with this bit of wisdom: Pick one and get it done. So I made a list of "short and easy" projects and decided to get started…

By the way, I recognize that acquiring such a nice model, only to put it on a shelf, is something of an embarrassment. Knowing that I am not the first person to do this does not make it any less of a shame. I am trying amend my errant ways.

Jim

Jim,
Great topic, many can relate. For years I accumulated boxes of trains, thinking “someday” I’ll paint or build stuff. Then in summer ‘21, I visited an O Scaler in UT with a great layout. He’s one statement, “…what are you waiting for?” motivated me to do something . Started little projects-swapped drivers, fixed broken railings, built an IM PFE reefer, then painted an OMI Pacific. Learn more about weathering each model, having a great time and sharing with great folks, one in particular who has been a real inspiration-sending me free reference books and teaching me about the history of the hobby. Thank you.

“Someday” I'l have that layout, but for now I have a great time painting/building models and placing them on shelves I built with my boy. He enjoys looking at them more than I do and answeing his questions about the models is a joy-someday they’ll be his and remember “dad time” we had.

It’s a great hobby, enjoy anyway we can.

Aaron

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:23 am

Totally agree Aaron. I was a wait and do it later for a layout while working and now that I'm retired I really don't feel like doing it. But, I still very much enjoy working on and playing with trains. You're much more prolific with modeling that I ever was and am. Keep it up.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:30 pm

86TA355SR wrote:
It's a great hobby, enjoy anyway we can.

Aaron

There is the answer, and don't pay any attention to ANYONE who tells you otherwise, unless they agree to sponsor your activities! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”