Beautiful model, "beautiful" price……..

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Rufus T. Firefly

Re: Beautiful model, "beautiful" price……..

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:34 pm

robert. wrote:This model will ship from Japan. It is brand spanking new.

Yes, but KTM has not been a manufacturer of models for many years.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:33 am

This locomotive is not imported, but manufactured by Katsumi.
Please look
closely at the package.
The name of the company Katsumi (KTM) is also
stamped on it.

-universe1207

Not sure if the seller just doesn't know the answers or is evading my questions or we have a language barrier. I wrote back with some KTM history and asked for a photo of the label and one of underside of the loco, but I really don't expect them to be posted on EB or sent to me.

KTM was a manufacturer and built HO and O scale locos. The O scale were built for Max Gray, U.S. Hobbies, Westside and even PSC prior to the mid 80's. Sometime In the mid 70's, Japanese built models were becoming so expensive for the main stream hobbiest/collector, that the new importers (OMI, KEY, etc) went to Korea to have their models built by Ajin, Samhongsa and others. Many of the early models were real trash, as the Koreans had a huge learning curve to overcome.

By 1983-85, with dwindling sales, KTM try an experiment by opening their own selling outlet called KTM/USA in Gardenia, CA. I once had their catalog and STUPIDLY threw it away. KTM/USA built only two models I'm aware of, including the UP FEF-3 and the SP Cab Forward, that Bob mentioned. I know nothing of the Cab Forward, but the FEF-3 sold new in the $3500 range, which was an astounding amount of money at that time, but it was also and astounding model for the time. KTM also did a special run of these FEF's for BLCO in CA, detail for road number 8444. I was told that KTM got out of the model train business when the KTM/USA hobby experiment failed and started producing brass musical instruments.

This is a condensed history and certainly subject to correction and additions.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:15 am

Unfortunate.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:55 am

up148 wrote:
This locomotive is not imported, but manufactured by Katsumi.
Please look
closely at the package.
The name of the company Katsumi (KTM) is also
stamped on it.

-universe1207

Not sure if the seller just doesn't know the answers or is evading my questions or we have a language barrier. I wrote back with some KTM history and asked for a photo of the label and one of underside of the loco, but I really don't expect them to be posted on EB or sent to me.

One thing not to overlook is that the engine is NOT an import in the eyes of the seller because he is located in Japan. He (or the person that wrote auction text) seems to have a fair command of English. Guessing you might hear back. Response time may depend on the time difference.

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:16 pm

Agree Rich and yes I knew what he meant about not being an import (to him), I just expected him to be more forth coming with information. Maybe as the listing ages, he'll decide to answer my questions.

The Japanese have always be staunch collectors of Japanese built models, even more so that others. The ones I've dealt with didn't care much for Korean models, but were incredible buyers for anything built in Japan. It's their history and heritage.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:22 pm

up148 wrote:The Japanese ........... were incredible buyers for anything built in Japan. It's their history and heritage.

Some of the IMP odder boxcabs that have sold for surprisingly high amounts have been going back to Japan; some of the steeplecabs I had interest in also went back to Japan.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:47 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
up148 wrote:The Japanese ........... were incredible buyers for anything built in Japan. It's their history and heritage.

Some of the IMP odder boxcabs that have sold for surprisingly high amounts have been going back to Japan; some of the steeplecabs I had interest in also went back to Japan.

Maybe we can form a consortium and purchase it, then sell it back yo them later for a killing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll keep it in the interim. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:21 am

Well, I got a reply last night that makes sense (sorta) and the seller has added photos of the label and underside to his listing. So, it was definitely worth the ask. I did not know Katsumi was in business in 2006.
--------------------------------------------------------
Sorry for the late reply.

This Pennsylvania Railroad Q2 was assembled by
Katsumi in 2006 from leftover parts from (*exported by Katsumi to
Westside).
Some parts were newly made by lost wax casting for this
locomotive model, and the gearbox was newly made for this locomotive
model.
Therefore, this locomotive model is different from the same
locomotive model produced for export to Westside at that time, and is one
and only one of its kind in the world.

For reference, I have uploaded a
photo of the back of this model and a photo of the packaging to my
listing.

Kind regards
UNIVERSE1207

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:36 am

Great stuff Butch and really interesting! Had a suspicion you might get a reply! Just my opinion, but I think the thing is real collector bait with all this extra information. Too bad I don't have 6 grand laying around moldering away! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rich

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:02 am

That back story all sort of explains origins - thanks for following up!

E7 wrote:Too bad I don't have 6 grand laying around moldering away!

Sell a kidney.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:35 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:That back story all sort of explains origins - thanks for following up!

Sell a kidney.

Whadaya think I could get for one of yours? :mrgreen:

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:18 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:26 pm

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:That back story all sort of explains origins - thanks for following up!

Sell a kidney.

Whadaya think I could get for one of yours? :mrgreen:

5 pence on a good day - mine are rubbish along with the rest of the plumbing system.

However, I am a modestly skilled amateur surgeon. Hold still now, this will give a little pinch.....and if I pause a bit it's only to get the fava beans ready.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 4:50 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:However, I am a modestly skilled amateur surgeon.

Ever try trepanning?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:57 pm

E7 wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:However, I am a modestly skilled amateur surgeon.

Ever try trepanning?

Only on willing volunteers.....and mice.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”