Beautiful model, "beautiful" price……..

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
herronpeter

Beautiful model, "beautiful" price……..

Postby herronpeter » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:38 am

up148

Re: Beautiful model, "beautiful" price……..

Postby up148 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:18 am

Very interesting. I wish the small print on the label could be read. The label makes you believe this model was built by KTM after they dropped all their dealers, but to my knowledge it should say KTM USA somewhere on the label, as that is what KTM called themselves when they were direct marketing.

I've never seen this color box or this label used for either a KTM or KTM USA built model. The seller needs to post some photos of the underside, as all the KTM USA models had fully sprung and equalized drivers, connected to sprung and equalized pony and trailing trucks, full brake rigging and incredible details. I'm not familiar enough with a PRR Q2 to know if this model checks all the boxes for detail. Backhead is incredible.

Opinion: If this is truly a KTM/USA built model, the price is good, as they can command almost as much as a Sofue built loco (Sofue was the head builder for KTM & KTM/USA). If this is just a USH or ??? model, in a new box and label, it's way overpriced. At this price point a model has to have some provenance to be worth the money.

But again, not being a PRR guy I have no idea of the history of this model. Might be a holy grail loco to a PRR guy. I remember seeing/reading about a Sunnyside PRR loco that used to bring $3-4K back in the 90's....maybe this is one of them.

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:58 am

Way before I got interested in this stuff. Sarge would probably know if he would care to comment. Way more than I would pay for ANYTHING of this ilk. The old Westside PRR J1 had a back head that was as detailed. The thing I recall hearing about that one was the tender was either 2 feet too long or 2 feet too short. (Can't remember, don't care, and if I get one, I'm not sawing it apart to add or subtract! :lol: ) That loco had an open frame motor and I'm guessing this one probably does too. I think Westside came after this, but my memory is fuzzy, and the GAS factor (give a sh..) is in play. I guess I am getting old. A nice looking piece, but they aren't getting my cash. For that kind of money it should be painted and play the kazoo. That said, my birthday is coming up in case anyone wants to step up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: The J1 could be had for waaaaaaay less!

PS PS: I was always curious about why all that space between the pilot and the pilot truck on the Q2

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:04 am

up148 wrote:But again, not being a PRR guy I have no idea of the history of this model. Might be a holy grail loco to a PRR guy. I remember seeing/reading about a Sunnyside PRR loco that used to bring $3-4K back in the 90's....maybe this is one of them.

My GUESS on that one would be a T1 for no particular reason.

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:22 pm

I think that is right now that you mention it. I think Sunnyside was about the only game in town at that time and that might have driven the price. Supply and demand was always the biggest driver.

E7

Postby E7 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:52 pm

Butch, GUESS is the operative word! The only other importer I can think of around that time that would have been a possibility for a T1 would be Custom Brass, and my information is way more guesstimation as opposed to fact. I've only ever seen a couple Custom Brass T1's, and they looked pretty impressive. No clue on the running qualities. I think there was a non-Buick version on one of the websites a while back. The other was a Buick front painted I saw at a show when I was relatively new at the game for sale by one Rich Yoder.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:54 pm

Seems to me all KTM USA did was an FEF and a Cab Forward. I could be wrong, of course. I joined their club for exclusive updates and all I ever got was a bottle of vinegar or acid or something to clean brass.

up148

Postby up148 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:46 am

Bob, that's what I remembered too, but I can't count on my memory like I once could. So, no telling what this Japanese seller really has for sale. Maybe KTM made a special run for some Japanese seller.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:10 am

up148 wrote:So, no telling what this Japanese seller really has for sale. Maybe KTM made a special run for some Japanese seller.

Maybe ask the seller?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:17 am

Sorry, not enough interest to take it that far.........my bad. :(

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:21 am

up148 wrote:Sorry, not enough interest to take it that far.........my bad. :(

Okay; thought curiosity might be enough to jiggle a few electrons.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:51 am

I agree with Butch. When something appears to be overpriced significantly, I do not bother the seller with questions. Same with those sellers who separate locomotive and tender. Not worth my time.

up148

Postby up148 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:54 am

Well, Martin made me recognize my laziness and being a brass nut beyond belief, I did want to know. I sent the seller the question and will let us all know when he responds.

Back in the late 90's, I sold my 1st KTM/USA FEF-3 to the owner of Fomras Models in Tokyo, Japan. He told me he did some special runs of HO brass, showing Fomras as the importer, so maybe he did some O scale as well. I find nothing showing Formas still in business, but that doesn't surprise me........I believe he was older than me at the time.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:40 am

bob turner wrote:I agree with Butch. When something appears to be overpriced significantly, I do not bother the seller with questions. Same with those sellers who separate locomotive and tender. Not worth my time.

It's more a question of just what this model really is and its origins.....just maybe possible an application of the Socratic method might be useful.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:23 pm

This model will ship from Japan. It is brand spanking new.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”