Max Gray T&P 2-10-4?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
R.K. Maroon

Max Gray T&P 2-10-4?

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:25 pm

Somebody at the local all-scales train show asked me if Max Gray every made a T&P 2-10-4 in O-scale. I took his cell number and told him I will text him the answer, and if it was yes, I would send him a scan of the photo from the Spotter's Guide. Alas, I "organized" my catalog files a few months back and managed to move my box set of Spotter's Guides to a "safe" location, now forgotten.

Can anybody answer that question from memory or by consulting their copy of the Spotter's Guide?

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Re: Max Gray T&P 2-10-4?

Postby bob turner » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:28 pm

Yes, and yes.
Too bad - I thought you had captured one.
I will get a page #, and may be tempted to exercise one of those exceptions to copyright law.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:18 pm

From memory, I could have told you that Scale Model Railways offered one in their 1937 catalog:

Note the Chicago Great Western version also listed. As noted in the catalog listing, the T&P and CGW prototypes were contemporaries and very similar. Bill Lenoir worked at Scale Model Railways at this time, so one would not be surprised to see the CGW version listed. It would be interesting to know if Bill brought the CGW model design with him into the company and that gave SMR a leg up on bidding for the Texas State Fair job or if the CGW model came second after the T&P version was built.

Jim

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:57 am

Spotters Guide shows he did. Early and Late versions too. Notes in the back of the guide also talks about the differences between the MG & USH models. Vol. I, pages 57-60.

Jay

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:53 pm

Considering the 1937 date on those SMR catalogues, I am guessing there were NOT a ton of those sold as complete models. Back in 1969 I started my first full time job at the lofty sum of $84 a week pre-taxes. I wasn't buying many $140-$150 models, and my wages were likely more than the average guy in 1937. Max Gray passed from a heart attack in 1965. How much of his stuff is still floating around in decent shape? The best bet might be the recent SS/3rd Rail offering if you are seriously looking for one. If it is only academic research, that's a different story. Any idea what Max's stuff was going for new?

Jim, sounds like your organization is similar to mine. :lol:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:36 pm

I bought a MG MT-4 new from George Zane for $225 in 1962. Still have it. I think I was making $2/hr as an illustrator. I also bought a Piper Cub that year - still have that, too. Cost me what five MT-4s would have cost.

The Cub is worth thirty times what I paid; the Mountain is worth about quadruple - maybe a grand.

In perspective - I filled the pickup Friday - $100.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:38 pm

Thanks to all for the input and specifically to Jay for taking the time to dig out his Spotters Guide and provide some details on the MG and USH offerings. I am "sure" my Spotters Guides will turn up "soon".

I am not actually looking for one of these, or for anything else, really. I have gotten to the point (and way beyond) where I have more nice models than any one person should have and more projects than any mid-level modeler could possibly finish in whatever time I have left. As a result, I only get excited about a new model on the arrival track if it is the fine work of a good friend. These are the models I appreciate most and will let go of last.

In lieu of a T&P Texas-type, here is a KCS version:

This model was built by the late Bob Hall. I didn't know Bob but Richard Garberson knew him well and acquired many of his models following is death, including this one. (ScaleCraft Dave also knew Bob and also has one or two of Bob's models). The photo of the KCS monster is from a checkout run, which revealed a slight fit-and-alignment problem with the drawbar. This unit is back in the service queue, but will hopefully reappear soon.

Jim

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:16 am

Jim, There was a nice article about Bob Hall in O Scale News/48 ft. it was titled Bob Hall and the 1/4 Q's, or something very close to that.

Rich

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:57 am

E7 wrote:Jim, There was a nice article about Bob Hall in O Scale News/48 ft. it was titled Bob Hall and the 1/4 Q's, or something very close to that.

Rich

Quarter Q is Dick Garberson's CB&Q 1:48 2-rail pike. Got stories on THAT line!
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:01 pm

We'll have to exhume Greg Heier and read him the riot act! :mrgreen: Maybe Mr. Hall built some of your buddies locos?

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:53 pm

E7 wrote:We'll have to exhume Greg Heier and read him the riot act! :mrgreen: Maybe Mr. Hall built some of your buddies locos?

RK Hall built a shXt pot of Q engines for Dick. There are some Dick got from the estate under glass, not quite finished to run. At least last time was there.
RK rescued my Thomas 0-4-0, which was a box of two whacked to make an 0-4-4-0 or some rot. He scratched new front frame rails, new motor. He got the other, built new tailstock, and finished it up.
The other is a Pearce/Hines 2-8-0. Built it as an NP Y class, with a scratched original style short tender to fit turntables on Lookout.

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:30 am

It's been a while since I have laid eyes on that article, but I'm guessing we are talking about the same stuff. I remember it was impressive! If it had not been exceptional, I would have not remembered it this long!

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:18 am

RK was quite the character. His wife Daphne, had a decidedly French accent. RK had a Clark Gable moustache, and had his "Martooni" every evening.
Story he told, he worked for Consolitated Aircraft, I think Vultee was in there somewhere. He was an engineer, worked on development and improvements on the B-24.
And he gets drafted. Critical job, designing and building armaments, and they draft him...and put him in tanks!
All those years later, I think he still didn't trust the gummint.
He did two and three rail. Handlaid 3-rail, handmade switches, big knife switch changed track from 3-railAC to 2-rail DC. After RK died and the trains were removed, Daphne wanted the rest gone, and somebody pulled it with a chainsaw. Shame.
One of the things I have noticed about his engines, not all by any means....look at one nos-on, and often the running boards are not the same height. Strange.
He loved the C&O, did a lot of B&O. Maroon had a photo up a while back of an engine he acquired I instantly recognized as one of RK's. Right down to the SC Chassis. He had shelves full of kits and partially assembled engines. He would have a full size 1/4" drawing taped to his bench. He's sit there with his Martooni just looking at the drawing, suddenly he'd spin his chair around, grab a box on the shelf, and pull out a chassis or partial engine, and he knew it would be a correct starting point.
When we talked about my NP 2-8-0, he had a drawing of what we were looking to do....and he whipped around, and grabbed a Pearce/Hines kit, and off we went.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:41 am

Sounds like a one of a kind guy! As for the running boards being different heights, maybe he figured you could only look at one side at a time!

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:41 pm

E7 wrote:Sounds like a one of a kind guy! As for the running boards being different heights, maybe he figured you could only look at one side at a time!

When I pointed the issue out to him, that's exactly what he said!

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”