Old Magazines

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Re: Old Magazines

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:26 pm

E7 wrote:
bob turner wrote:`I am now sort of shocked and surprised - most of what I have been saving are pages and pages and pages of advertisements!

That's how they made their bucks, wasn't from your subscription.

and yet, they bumped subscription costs pretty regularly....
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:49 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:
E7 wrote:
bob turner wrote:`I am now sort of shocked and surprised - most of what I have been saving are pages and pages and pages of advertisements!

That's how they made their bucks, wasn't from your subscription.

and yet, they bumped subscription costs pretty regularly....

Advertisers may come & go, but printing and paper costs always increase.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:24 pm

Dave, Rufus supplied your answer: Subscription increases cover paper, printing, and delivery.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:31 pm

E7 wrote:Dave, Rufus supplied your answer: Subscription increases cover paper, printing, and delivery.

Mailing to outside the US has also gotten crazy for periodicals; eMags will be the future for those subscribers.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:19 pm

Brings to mind an image of someone sitting on the crapper reading back issues! :lol: :lol:

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:06 pm

E7 wrote:
up148 wrote:Bob Hess, there's a name from the past. I had to sell off all of my O scale back in the late 90's and Bob bought it. He drove from PA and I drove from KC and we met in a parking lot in IN. Long day trip for sure.

Funny thing....when I bought those mags, Bob was in the process of selling ALL his stuff!

I drove from PA to St. Charles, Ill. a couple times. Took 11 hours and only required 2 turns once on the PA Turnpike the 2nd trip!

While I was looking for my Peter Bassett built UP 2-10-2, that Bob bought in that group purchase, I learned he jumped from O scale to G scale. Terry Paige did the same about that time and I never understood why for either of them. :?

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:31 pm

up148 wrote:While I was looking for my Peter Bassett built UP 2-10-2, that Bob bought in that group purchase, I learned he jumped from O scale to G scale. Terry Paige did the same about that time and I never understood why for either of them. :?

Personal Turner here. I know a whole pile of folks who have moved to #1 gauge. Ain't Goofy Scale.
Age, eyesight, dexterity, all of it....they want something they can see and work on. Often outdoors.
I have over 1500 feet in my back and side yards, close to 100 switches, altho I get a different count every time I have done so.
5 major scales on #1, with several minor. Makes your head hurt.

Then the enemaray tried to get involved what, 7 or 8 years ago, wanted to fix us right up.

They were 60 years or so to late. G1MRA HAD standards that we all used, plus, originally, 5 different sets of standards, including wheels, track, frogs, points, guardrails. We showed then which pier to walk off of, and with a little help, they did.
1:22.5 is Meter Gauge
1:24 is 3.6"
1:32 is 4' 8-1/2"
1:20.3 is 3'.
Then there is 1:29, which if anything is goofy.
Figure it out. Feel free to use a calculator.
45mm or 1.77". Figure what 1:29 works out to for standard gauge.

Rant mode off.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:53 am

An old friend of mine always said: "The Bigger the Better!" Be nice to be able to afford to do a Bennet Levin! (sp?)

For they who don't know he owns two ex PRR E8's
Last edited by E7 on Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:39 pm

Nothing wrong with "G" or 1/32 to play with. But, Terry Paige was the biggest collector of UP O scale brass I knew except Ed Campbell. He also does the ride on size trains (don't know what gauge) and was almost done building a scale 8500HP Big Blow. Haven't heard from Terry in a while, so I need to make contact.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:47 pm

up148 wrote:Nothing wrong with "G" or 1/32 to play with. But, Terry Paige was the biggest collector of UP O scale brass I knew except Ed Campbell. He also does the ride on size trains (don't know what gauge) and was almost done building a scale 8500HP Big Blow. Haven't heard from Terry in a while, so I need to make contact.

To put it into another perspective. In our 0 Rotters group (Woody was in there), BIG 2-rail module setup, Jack (cannot recall his last name right now) was a BIG 2-rail NP guy. He was running a Challenger or Yellowstone that day. I was running back and forth between the 2-rail and 3-rail modules. He saw me come back, stopped me to talk.
He looked wistfully at the 3-rail modules and said he wished he'd never got out of 3-rail.
I was surprised and asked him why he thought that.
He said THOSE guys have FUN! They don't worry about absolute scale fidelity.
Interesting.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:49 pm

Some of them do - I am blown away when they start worrying if the tender lettering matches the number boards on a GS Northern. For a great number of them, the only thing that is not perfect are the wheels and track.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:55 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:To put it into another perspective. In our 0 Rotters group (Woody was in there), BIG 2-rail module setup, Jack (cannot recall his last name right now) was a BIG 2-rail NP guy. He was running a Challenger or Yellowstone that day. I was running back and forth between the 2-rail and 3-rail modules. He saw me come back, stopped me to talk. H e looked wistfully at the 3-rail modules and said he wished he'd never got out of 3-rail. I was surprised and asked him why he thought that. He said THOSE guys have FUN! They don't worry about absolute scale fidelity. Interesting.

That's self imposed stupidity. Model to whatever degree suits yourself. If someone complains, tell them you are accepting donations so you can afford to do things to their standards.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:01 pm

bob turner wrote:Some of them do - I am blown away when they start worrying if the tender lettering matches the number boards on a GS Northern. For a great number of them, the only thing that is not perfect are the wheels and track.

3R ptoto 48 :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:03 pm

E7 wrote:
bob turner wrote:Some of them do - I am blown away when they start worrying if the tender lettering matches the number boards on a GS Northern. For a great number of them, the only thing that is not perfect are the wheels and track.

3R ptoto 48 :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OS3R P-48.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”