Where is Carey's GS-4?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Jay Criswell

Re: Where is Carey's GS-4?

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:47 am

One of the little things that always irked me is the full height ladders on the rear of the tenders for the GS-1 to GS-3s. They weren't any. The ladders weren't full length and should be in the front of the tender. Weaver, and others, just got lazy and used GS-4 tenders.

Bob, not picking apart what you built, it looks great. Shoot all of yours do.

Just always bugged me.

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:07 pm

Me too. Note my GS-2 tender in the first photo.

The Weaver tender really gave me no choice - the entire tender was GS-4/5/6. There are any number of differences - side curvature, ladders, etc. - I thought it was a valiant save of a nice mid-range model with really good baked-on finish.

When I got it the rear ladders were broken. Weaver was kind enough to send me a pair. Not sure I obscured the attachment screw - will look today.

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:55 pm

Hello all ,,sorry to be late to the party

TrainZ has been selling off Frank Rappe's collection ....some very interesting pieces ( in my opinion)
But Trainz is always fun to deal with
Photos just fuzzy enough to give a vague idea of what you may get ...they will send better photos if asked
Pricing can be wildly crazy ...assume a dart thrown at the wall with prices is used
Shipping can be a nightmare...I have messaged packing instructions some times used many times not .... many damaged pieces is shipping for no reason at all other than no one cares ..they will issue a small refund for damage ..... but it is a hassle
Trainz lists tenders separate from the engine .....split up passenger sets ... seem to have no respect or regard for the items they are listing ...

So it is always a crap shot .....but they do sell a lot of stuff .... when collecting early / vintage sometimes buy options do not occur twice ...so hit the buy it now ...or play the dropping price wait game ....or sooner or later Trainz will throw it in an auction ..and place the highest bid ...

I've acquired some wonderful pieces from TrainZ over the years ...just wish shipping was done properly 100% of the time ...

Trainz listed 4 SP Daylights over the last 6 weeks + - ....... tenders for the most part were listed separately... ( adds to the fun)

Purchased a GS2..bought correct tender separately ... may have been built by Lou Cameron of LA area 1940... ran at Channel Lines Santa Barbara CA...runs great please see link for video

https://youtu.be/i7x-1StAVqw

pulling a string of Kaisner cars ....... yes Train Z also ...they had at 3 + sets of Daylight cars ... 2 sets of Kaisners ...but needed to buy several lots to put one set together...video shows a mixture of two of the sets .... one day hope to replace with Pomona Daylight cars ...till then ...makes a pretty good looking set
Cheers Carey

There is a second Daylight engine ..save for another day ..

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:11 pm

I tried to save that, to blow it up and take a look. I guess it came from OGR, where the resolution is quite poor. Send me a good photo and I will enhance it and post for you - one of the locomotive in broadside, and another of one of the Kasiner cars?

Kasiners make better Daylight cars than do the Pomona Valley variants. B-C came close, but no cigar. Speer was the closest, and his corrugations are off by one or two - but they have the correct form. Sunset looks better on this second run. Let me see if I have a Kasiner on Shutterfly:

It, too, loses resolution, but I think you can see how the corrugations go.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:13 pm

Here is the Speer extrusion - note how the corrugations are "innies" and alternate in size:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:16 pm

And finally, here are a couple Pomona Valley cars. these are Monel Metal (a variety of stainless steel) but as you can see, they are quite primitive, even by Kasiner and B-C standards.

These went to Allan Wehrle, before I knew him enough to give him stuff. He knew how to sand-cast bronze! Nobody does that any more.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:08 pm

Here is a good shot of Carey's Kasiner. Note that the corrugations are correct, but "outies", and the upper letterboard has been filled in to match the prototype, sort of. Kasiners were the best match before Speer came along.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:10 pm

Here is a really good shot of Carey's GS-4. I do hope I am not the only one with any interest in these antiques!

robert.

Postby robert. » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:33 pm

I luv um. They’re nice. Nice to see them running. His whole layout is great looking. It would be great looking finished. Yet it still looks good with faded plywood. Outside 3rd rail looks more authentic to me than most 2 rail. Something I can’t explain.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:40 am

Bob,

Great photo but, that's not a GS-4.

Just trying to keep it straight.

Jay

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:48 am

bob turner wrote:And finally, here are a couple Pomona Valley cars. these are Monel Metal (a variety of stainless steel)

Bayonne Casting Co.
Cupro/Nickel, no steel content Used as rustless metal
Used for golf club heads circa 20's/30's

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:52 am

E7 wrote:
bob turner wrote:And finally, here are a couple Pomona Valley cars. these are Monel Metal (a variety of stainless steel)

Bayonne Casting Co.
Cupro/Nickel no steel content Used as rustless metal

Correct, no steel or ferrous content.

Has a lot of uses - gas cylinder valves for specialty gases was the one that I remembered.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:06 am

I get it now - when I access MTJ from another computer it kicks me out on my ancient iPad, and I have to sign back in.

Jay is, of course, correct - we have way more GS-2s and 3s pictured herein. The salient feature of the GS-4/5 is the all-weather cab. Carey has one of those as well. I shall post.

So how about an e-mail address for Bayonne - do they do onesies for hobbyists?

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:24 am

bob turner wrote:I get it now - when I access MTJ from another computer it kicks me out on my ancient iPad, and I have to sign back in.

Odd. I used to able to be signed in to multiple computers...w/o getting kicked out of any. I do note that no matter what I do my signing in to MTJ is only good for a calendar day - that's seems the limit.

So how about an e-mail address for Bayonne - do they do onesies for hobbyists?

I think that Bayonne Casting Co. may be at best a historical reference related to Monel.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:03 pm

bob turner wrote:So how about an e-mail address for Bayonne - do they do onesies for hobbyists?

Bob, I have no idea, but I suspect they would do anything if the price was right...

I'd be curious to hear what they say if you contact them...

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”