Ebay

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
up148

Re: Ebay

Postby up148 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:01 am

Apparently with the latest group of garage and estate buyers the philosophy is "when in doubt price high and wait and see". :D

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:57 pm

That's based on what I used to tell my Mom about her yard sale stuff: If you have any doubt,
offer it at a higher price. You can always mark it down if it doesn't sell, but you can't mark it up after it's gone! :lol: :lol: :lol:

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:43 am

Totally agree on garage sales, but I remember the days when guys sold their excess trains items on EB and not what they bought for peanuts at garage and estate sales. But, people have a way of prostituting everything.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:02 pm

Same folks who would get early admission, buy up all the good stuff, move it across the aisle to their own table, and triple the price. Legal, and maybe immoral?

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:19 pm

up148 wrote:Totally agree on garage sales, but I remember the days when guys sold their excess trains items on EB and not what they bought for peanuts at garage and estate sales. But, people have a way of prostituting everything.

It's probably still that way, but you just can't find anything because of Feebay's wonderful new categories. The stupid jerks seem to think that a "search" is not successful unless it returns a kajillion items, even if they of zero interest to the searcher. They either do not know or care about the dichotomy of O. :mrgreen:

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:49 am

It was obvious it was done to make "their" job easier, not be an improvement for searching.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:54 am

bob turner wrote:Same folks who would get early admission, buy up all the good stuff, move it across the aisle to their own table, and triple the price. Legal, and maybe immoral?

I've sold a lot of stuff to those same folks. I got my price; my objective was to sell it and not bring it home. I never cared about what they did except to giggle a bit seeing it later on eBay at triple what I sold it for and staying there for months never selling.

Morality just gets in the way of commerce: "It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money."
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:22 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
bob turner wrote:Same folks who would get early admission, buy up all the good stuff, move it across the aisle to their own table, and triple the price. Legal, and maybe immoral?

I've sold a lot of stuff to those same folks. I got my price; my objective was to sell it and not bring it home. I never cared about what they did except to giggle a bit seeing it later on eBay at triple what I sold it for and staying there for months never selling.

Morality just gets in the way of commerce: "It's immoral to let a sucker keep his money."

Don't tell the early vendors " Sellers get in two hours before them. Sometimes even a day before.
I do about 10 antique shows a year. Lots of times we buy from a vendor or two. What ever we buy never goes for sale at that show. It gets placed in the truck for a later date. It just feels like the right thing to do.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:43 pm

Tacking this here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115616743024?h ... R8zDpcqYYQ

It is a PRR M1a. At first, on my iPad, I assumed it was a Blum, but I got out the big computer and took a look. It is of MG/USH quality, but does not appear to be of that genre - open gears, full brake rigging - not the sort of stuff one expects. No tender.
Seller professes ignorance, which is fine - and the price seems high for even as nice a model as this, since a genuine USH with tender is probably in the same price range (I am looking at a USH version on my shelf as I type). But I suppose it could be a Jerry White or something? Seller says "heavy" and Jerry always crammed a giant steel slug in the boiler. If so, I bet it won't ship well.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:51 pm

bob turner wrote:Seller says "heavy".........

"It weighs 11 pounds." per the seller's description.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:25 am

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:27 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Something for "everyone".....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275565326586?m ... name=11021

These were in Alderfer's 2 weeks ago. Right from one auction to another. https://bid.alderferauction.com/ui/auct ... 04/9865851 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'll bet this clown complains about oil companies jacking up the price of gas!

PS. for $7,000 fix the lightbulb jackass!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:22 am

robert. wrote:
Rufus T. Firefly wrote:Something for "everyone".....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275565326586?m ... name=11021

These were in Alderfer's 2 weeks ago. Right from one auction to another. https://bid.alderferauction.com/ui/auct ... 04/9865851

Sold there for a far more realistic price

I'll bet this clown complains about oil companies jacking up the price of gas!

Why not? They do, have, and will continue to do just that; have you noticed the drop post-elections, :wink: :wink:

PS. for $7,000 fix the lightbulb jackass!

Probably not competent to do that.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

robert.

Postby robert. » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:05 pm

Not much of a drop here. Diesel is still $6.09-6.59. I just did a three day trip from Doylestown, Boston and Albany. Nowhere was diesel below 6 bucks. I had a brain fart in thinking something was wrong with the truck. I know on this route where i will need to buy fuel. I started to fall short of places where i always stop. After about the third stop it hit. Pumps only give you $100. when you use a credit card. $100 is going 25 percent less distance now.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:20 pm

robert. wrote:Not much of a drop here.

Unsurprising in PA.....

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”