Ebay

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: Ebay

Postby bob turner » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:28 pm

Re: my post above on the very clean Lobaugh drivers in frames - the seller is jkcarlock, and what he is doing is dis-assembling a complete kit and selling parts. This week it is a very clean boiler with domes and some cab parts, plus a Jabelmann firebox.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116084343977?i ... R_TE0I--Yw

Next we can assume the cylinders will be auctioned, followed by rods and valve gear. I will stay tuned and report on my prognosis.

Splitting up a kit like this is slightly reminiscent of splitting up orphan siblings - semi-immoral?

A good complete kit can be had for $300-600. He will come close to the $600 mark, maybe, but now the losing bidders for the drivers (me, among others) will have less incentive to bid.

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:58 pm

I threw a bid just to keep track..well I have frames and cylinders so if people sleep maybe I get lucky lol
Btw i picked up a scale craft pacific frame with good drivers for $25 this week. It is the center drive version. Hmm wonder in a stray Alexander boiler would fit it lol
Doorstop Rookie

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:12 pm

I gave away an Alexander K4 boiler a couple decades ago - undersize and inaccurate. Hold out for a Scale Craft - much better.

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:47 pm

What the heck are these "F" units? The way the nose and sides are are designed and attached makes them look pretty fugly...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134905761318?i ... R5aBsea-Yw
Doorstop Rookie

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:58 pm

Dennis Holler wrote:What the heck are these "F" units? The way the nose and sides are are designed and attached makes them look pretty fugly...

Those are interesting. I noticed the front of one of the units has some sort of crazing, whether at the metal or paint level. They look so deep that it looks like the metal, but most likely the paint was just laid on real thick back in those days. Hard to think cast metal would do that.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:27 pm

bob turner wrote:I gave away an Alexander K4 boiler a couple decades ago - undersize and inaccurate. Hold out for a Scale Craft - much better.

I have a half a dozen scalecraft K4's, and do love em. I have a spare MT4 boiler and some parts, was thinking about cutting it down and making the SP Pacific from it, so many options lol

You are right thought, that Alexander boiler does seem a little small compared to everything else. or is it that Ed made no compromise and it is to 1/4" scale so it looks small compared to all the other stuff that is stretched to fit wheels and motors?

With regular drivers
or with Baldwin disc
Doorstop Rookie

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:24 pm

I would kill for a pair of those Alexander frame castings. One of my Scale Craft K4s has an Alexander frame, and the original assembler thought it too wide and ground off all the spring rigging on one side.

On those ugly F3s, just be happy that F3s were not really “a thing” at the 1939 world’s fair. Otherwise these models would be over a grand. I just checked - he has 1800 plus items for sale, every single one 15% off. Yippee! If you want obscure Jeep parts, he is apparently your guy.
He has sold over 5000 items, with a very good feedback rating. The entrepreneurial spirit thrives! I am surprised he had the time to respond to Jay and me. Must spend eight hours a day in the post office!

boy, those F3s are ugly. And they are quite apparently cast aluminum, not bronze. I shall pass.

Are those drivers cast iron?

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:05 pm

Yeah, I'll pass on those F-3's as well lol. The drivers are brass/bronze. Looks like one is cast iron, so I don't know if a guy used the iron one as a pattern for the rest or what. I figure I could put steel tires on em When I get around to using them.
Yeah that frame is pretty impressive. even better than the Saginaw frames I think.
Doorstop Rookie

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:14 pm

" and the original assembler thought it too wide and ground off all the spring rigging on one side."

The PO did the same thing to my Lobaugh Challenger frame lol.
That front frame is not Lobaugh but the two rear ones and the cylinders seem to be Lobaugh.

Then the cylinders were machined too wide lol, so the mounting holes in the cylinders catch the outer edge of the frame. I can be worked around but just annoying you know lol

I have a bunch of brass drivers that I think would work too from the same seller I got the other lots from lol. I find myself grabbing every ten dollar lot of driver castings I can lol
Doorstop Rookie

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:21 pm

Dennis Holler wrote:What the heck are these "F" units? The way the nose and sides are are designed and attached makes them look pretty fugly...

Carey has an article in the latest edition of OSR regarding Denver Locomotive Company. No photos have been found as to what these models looked like, but Carey speculates that some models he has (and that I have seen on eBay over the years) may be from that company. I think this is quite possible, given that no other source has been found for these odd looking cab units. These units don't meet the 30-mph rule for me (and a lot of other people apparently), so I have never acquired any of them. Here is the link to Carey's article:

https://magazine.oscaleresource.com/books/zfht/#p=94

JIm
Slow progress is better than no progress

Dennis Holler

Postby Dennis Holler » Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:26 pm

here is a close up of the Alexander K4 frame.
And the parts once I got them.
Doorstop Rookie

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”