Bob Turner Lost Plastic Process

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: Bob Turner Lost Plastic Process

Postby bob turner » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:27 pm

All of these started out as MTH PA bodies. Dennis did this one in nickel silver - second attempt, and a darn good one. The seam is just ahead of that center access door over the fuel tank. I did do tabs, and I do not remember pinning it before soldering.

I lost 1/2 of 1% in length, so I stuck some plastic sheet on one of the body parts before shipping to the foundry, to regain the proper length for the stainless grille. Opening the slots for the grille tabs was tough, and involved much drilling and cursing, along with a modified hack saw blade.

I polish it occasionally, but next time it gets Alclad II on the sides. I think I showed you the CLW PAs with Alclad II - they pleased me. I might use nickel instead of stainless, which has a dark cast to it. Oh - and the trucks have never been finished. We did them in plastic, burned that out, added metal journals and brake rigging, then made a mold and cast what you see. Next time I will make the coil springs more realistic, and add the brake cylinders to the master. Or just hope for another pair of CLW trucks to drop into my arms.

Yes, this one is powered with twin Pittmans driving three axles each.

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:43 pm

Jay Criswell wrote:Rich,

Before you chop anything up, it would help to know the projected dimensions of the parts we want to burnout and cast. Length, width, and height. once this is know we can run it by David to verify the parts will fit in his flasks. Once we know this he may be able to provide an estimate of the cost.

Another item to keep in mind, not all plastics burnout the same and results may vary. David will make no guarantees. Jay

About 14 1/4 inches long, 2 1/2 inches wide, and a tad shorter than 4" in height.

Rich

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:08 pm

Rich,

I assume this is before cutting them in half.

So once cut in half the two pieces would be somewhere around 7 to 8 inches long?

Jay

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:07 am

Jay, A lot closer to 7" than 8". Those measurements are fairly accurate.

Rich

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:05 am

Rich,

I'm also assuming the two halves may not be exactly the same length. Much will depend on the most advantageous location to make your cut(s) so as to conceal them.

I'll probably be seeing David a little later today and I'll try to pick his brain about what we're trying to do here.

Jay

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:39 am

Jay, The 7 inch thing was just to give you an idea what we had with the shortest option for each piece. Whether 7 inches would work out detail wise, I'm not sure, meaning would I be cutting details we need to preserve. Might be tough to find an optimum place to cut.

Thanks,
Rich

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:04 pm

I knew I had posted these MTH metal PAs somewhere. Did I do the Erie-builts in any detail on this forum?

I just got in the mail from Teresa Prantle up in Pasco a couple packages of PA truck brake cylinders, and tomorrow I have really good intentions of attaching them to my ATSF PA trucks. I am thinking a new thread, covering the PAs and my Erie-Built projects. I covered the Erie-Builts really well on OGR, and I guess they are going to let them stay posted - but not sure I did it here.

I am going to get the chance to compare the Max Gray Erie-built with the one I did for overall dimensions, etc - so - new thread in order? Or did I already do this ad nauseam?

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:49 am

bob turner wrote:I knew I had posted these MTH metal PAs somewhere. Did I do the Erie-builts in any detail on this forum?

I think so.

bob turner wrote:I just got in the mail from Teresa Prantle up in Pasco a couple packages of PA truck brake cylinders, and tomorrow I have really good intentions of attaching them to my ATSF PA trucks. I am thinking a new thread, covering the PAs and my Erie-Built projects. I covered the Erie-Builts really well on OGR, and I guess they are going to let them stay posted - but not sure I did it here.

You're STILL a member over there.

bob turner wrote:I am going to get the chance to compare the Max Gray Erie-built with the one I did for overall dimensions, etc - so - new thread in order? Or did I already do this ad nauseam?

I think there was some comparison done. Pretty sure I recall Sarge commenting on the roof contours.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:18 pm

You are correct - I am still a "member" - but I am blocked. I don't blame them - now you guys are saddled with all of my train comments.

So here is the PA that is coming home tonight for truck work - it is repeated from above. Note that the trucks do not have brake cylinders.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:41 pm

bob turner wrote:You are correct - I am still a "member" - but I am blocked. I don't blame them - now you guys are saddled with all of my train comments.

Interesting. I have seen others that were given the boot that were listed as "former member". Have you tried to post?

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:22 pm

bob turner wrote:You are correct - I am still a "member" - but I am blocked. I don't blame them - now you guys are saddled with all of my train comments.

That burden can all go away in ONE click. :mrgreen:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:05 pm

No - I am definitely blocked. Ready to start the brake cylinders - not yet sure how the PSC parts attach.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:16 pm

One hour to attach two cylinders to one side frame, and I still have the little end connections at the outboard part of the piston rod. That, and the glue holding the wheel pickups is from 2004, and may not make it through the handling process. So this is an all-week project.

I am like that with airplanes, too - takes me twice as long to do stuff as it does the average mechanic. I think a large part of my time delays is looking for tools (and drill bits!).

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:16 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:51 pm

Done. Photos tonight. Was painful - that’s why I did the Daylight Hat trucks with cylinders attached. Drill, tap, put wheels in -simple. Next project is fuel pump in the recalcitrant Mustang. Yuk, it is under the power steering pump!

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”