Super Fort

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Super Fort

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri May 20, 2022 2:58 pm

Got the B-29 "Doc' in the air here today.

Good Lord, must be a grand in fuel to do a loop around the countryside.

I remember our organization had a PBY, tried it out in Colombia to see if it would be helpful on lakes and rivers. Took 150 gallons of Avgas just to get it off the water in our lake.

You can hear the timbre difference over a 17.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

sleepmac

Re: Super Fort

Postby sleepmac » Fri May 20, 2022 3:58 pm

Years ago when one of the 'Bs' came through Lancaster County, PA., I think it was said that it cost $2000.00 per hour to fly. Of course I might be wrong.

Dan Weinhold

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri May 20, 2022 6:40 pm

You might be, at least now. Avgas is $7.00/gallon at the cheap places, and closer to $9.00 at more sophisticated FBOs. And those engines take way higher octane - 115/145. I am surprised they can even get it.

Gas has always been only a small part of the cost - care to take a guess at what an annual inspection of that four engine monster would cost? And insurance - one of the rich guys who can afford a new Cub was complaining about $33,000 premiums.

Then you get to maintenance - I have no idea what a prop overhaul costs on something that size, but just pulling it off and putting it back on has to be two grand. Tires? Don't even ask. My tires for a tiny J3 Cub are now $450 each.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri May 20, 2022 8:41 pm

How long do you tires last?
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri May 20, 2022 8:46 pm

We had an air show here last weekend at Peachtree-Dekalb, an annual event though I think it might have been skipped in 2020.
Had the the usual T6 and Stearman armadas, a nice selection of Navy radial props from an F4F all they way up to a A-1 Skyraider and some other notables,
I don't know how these people do this either.

I recall nosing around the airport in Mojave around 2000 and being amazed at how many B-25's, A-26's, Neptunes etc. were there not to mention the post war jets like a collection of airworthy DeHaviland flying eggs including a Vampire and Venom, a lanky Hawker Hunter, along with various Mig 15's through 21's. Long rows of disassembled Aero Delfin and Aero-Machi trainers . I thought to myself this is where money goes when the owners have more than they can spend in a lifetime.

Pretty cool anyway though
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

webenda

Postby webenda » Sat May 21, 2022 7:22 am

Each B-29 Doc Flight Experience will last approximately 90 minutes and include a 30-minute ride. Prior to takeoff, passengers will experience a crew briefing and learn more about the history of the B-29 and role it played in U.S. history. Passengers will also get to hear and see the sights and sounds of engine starts and run-ups prior to takeoff.

Each B-29 Doc Flight Experience flight has nine seats: Bombardier ($1,500), Cockpit/Pilot Observer ($1,200), Navigator ($1,200) and six Gunner seats ($600 each).

What is the cost to operate a B-29 Superfortress? The estimated cost per flight hour is about $3,600.

Reference: https://www.b29doc.com/rides/
----Wayne----

Back when I was growing up, if you didn't start someth'n, there wouldn't be noth'n.
--Merle Haggard

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat May 21, 2022 11:54 am

I get about four years on a set of Cub tires.
The Stearman eats tires and brakes - tires are just a little more expensive than the Cub, but brakes are $3 grand to re-line, and both of those seem to happen at three year intervals. Fortunately, the partners get that done at a shop. I am in charge of fabric problems.

I would guess that operating, say, an Airbus, is more expensive than a B-29. First, labor is not "volunteer." Second, there is a lot of it - maintenance, gate, tug, baggage handlers, caterers, (pilots), marketing dept, gate rental and landing fees - I never figured out how we could make $ at $400/ticket on a four hour flight.

Do you know what would happen to this thread over on NK?

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:09 pm

bob turner wrote:
Do you know what would happen to this thread over on NK?

The same as what would happen on CTT, the O gauge forum or any other train related forum...

It does appear that you have been totally consumed by your feud with OGRR.

Why don't you start your own forum. Lucus from here started his own forum called the o scale forum

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat May 21, 2022 7:26 pm

Ah, you are just irritated with me because I am not a right wing type.

I have no beef with OGR - Arnold does not like me. They would throw you off, too, in a heartbeat, even though I think they lean MAGA.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat May 21, 2022 7:44 pm

Somebody grab the boxing gloves. I'll get the popcorn.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat May 21, 2022 7:45 pm

And cups of soda! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat May 21, 2022 7:55 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:And cups of soda! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

They don't allow hard possible projectiles, like cups or cans, at these kind of events!

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:57 pm

bob turner wrote:Ah, you are just irritated with me because I am not a right wing type.

I have no beef with OGR - Arnold does not like me. They would throw you off, too, in a heartbeat, even though I think they lean MAGA.

I remember a few years back when there was a thread on MTJ called the ( OGR CRAPPER ) It was where anyone that had a gripe with OGR or anyone that posted there would complain in that thread. It was over 200 pages long. That was until Bill deleted it And asked everyone to keep that crap off his forum and if you have a problem with the other forum keep it over there.

I have had post deleted on OGR many years ago when I had a disagreement with Barry Broskowitz and Tony Lash

All those that started the O Gauge forum are cast offs from OGR and they love those that bad mouth OGR But don't press your luck with your liberal crap. Ask Neil about that :lol:

MAGA...... Oh my GOD you have Trump derangement Syndrome just like Neil. :lol:

up148

Postby up148 » Sun May 22, 2022 7:32 am

Besides MTJ and OGR, are there any other forums that are very active? OST never has much of anything interesting and that is the only other forum I'm aware of.

HONDO74

Postby HONDO74 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:22 am

up148 wrote:Besides MTJ and OGR, are there any other forums that are very active? OST never has much of anything interesting and that is the only other forum I'm aware of.

The O GAUGE FORUM
https://o-gaugeforum.com/

MODEL TRAIN FORUM
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/

The guys that started the o-gauge forum had all been on the model train forum But they had a disagreement with gunrunnerjohn who is the moderator about where they could post birthday greetings so they started their own forum.

the web site for the model train forum is owned by a Canadian company

Classic toy trains CTT.
https://cs.trains.com/ctt/f/95.aspx

CTT was one of the sponsors for the o-gauge forum.
https://o-gaugeforum.com/page/corporate-sponsors

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”