Why isn't O Scale 2-Rail more popular with model railroaders?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Chris Webster

Re: Why isn't O Scale 2-Rail more popular with model railroaders?

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:42 pm

sarge wrote:I'm the one out of step here, not you. It really has become obvious my interests are not in line with this forum. Even though my own way of enjoying this scale isn't going to adapt to some brave new world, I do care what younger folk think, how the scale presents itself to newcomers, and I'll stand with them looking at this forum as a bunch of old grumpy guys who think seventy year old product should be good enough for 'em, dammit, so lets stop talking about this and show our AN NW2s.

Sarge, I don't think anyone is saying All Nation NW2s are state of the art. Instead, posters are showing what they have built from a classic kit that is very enjoyable to build. I think it's awesome that modelers are actually building models and sharing what they have done - IMHO, that's so much better for the hobby than having the guys whose hobby is to promote the hobby constantly flooding the O-scale forums with never-ending threads about what is wrong with O-scale.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:10 pm

What I would like to try...someday....is chop an NW2 into a 600hp (so I don't destroy a rare original), horizontal motor in hood, special F3 power truck in back, and an F3 powered front truck up front with driveshaft. You just couldn't get the standard power truck in front on an original 600hp unit.
Just to see if I can do it.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:46 pm

That's sounds like a worthwhile project, and furthermore not to far from the true "factory" attempt they did to render it. BTW I covet both your NP version and Sarge's NYC. SW1's are the lodestone for the many EMC-EMD switchers and the fact that a few are still around is remarkable.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

robert.

Postby robert. » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:19 pm

I wanted to do one in Reading colors. When i was a kid their engineer would give us candy if we sat and watched. t was his way of keeping us where he could see us. A few of us would sit on a bench at the Doylestown train station and watch him move freight around. He would hit box cars with a running start. With a load boom the car would shot up the siding. Great fun when your a kid. After he talked to my mom he started giving us hard candy sticks. That was probably around 1973-74. Wonder how well that would go over today? Nw2 is not a cheap option for 2 rail anymore. On eBay they run about $200 in project condition https://www.ebay.com/itm/165369366743?h ... SwzQliJAmr
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:33 pm

I've seen some evidence recently that All Nation/Atwater/GMC's NW's and the F units have appreciated in value based on their closing price on Ebay, but then I've also seen them go for really really low prices at trains shows too while also often enough still not getting that good of a price on Ebay either so you know, I think it's more the luck of the draw, time of the year, day closing time of the listing etc. How many other are listed at the time etc.
BTW, good story about the switcher at Doylestown, I have good childhood memories of crewman letting us visit the cab, short rides down passing sidings etc.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

E7

Postby E7 » Sun May 01, 2022 8:57 am

And here we have the way it really is, stated waaaaay better than I could have ever done! GREAT JOB, Dave!

Rich

DaveJfr0 wrote:I don't really see anything out of line here. People are granted to their opinions.

It's actually interesting to read everyone's opinion, whether its different from the majority, considered extreme, etc. The opinions and modeling here do tend to differ from what I see elsewhere, but that's actually refreshing and makes this place special. I know for some tough questions, I can come here for an honest and reliable answer.

If someone is getting emotional over the posts, its maybe best to step away a day or two and come back, but no need to leave forever. The great thing about here is that no one here is secretly editing or deleting your posts in the background.

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Sun May 01, 2022 12:52 pm

Dave, I'll echo Rich's post. Thank you!

Dan Weinhold

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun May 01, 2022 1:33 pm

We need a summary:

This is only my opinion of what has been said here in four pages, and on OGR in 350 or so responses.

1. Some of us do not care whether O Scale 2-rail grows or not.
2. Some of us are simply incensed by the fact that other scales have really good products and we do not.
3. Surely there are other points that have validly been made in such an extensive, long-running discussion.

That omits any opinions about how relevant this discussion is to our overall desire to discuss model trains.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun May 01, 2022 1:54 pm

I tried voicing an opinion early on in this thread.
But since that opinion did not sit well with more informed folks...well, you saw the result.

The mainstream, for what that's worth, model railroad media effectively ignores anything not H0. Smattering of Nano Scale.

Tell me, when was the last decent article in Mentally Retarded Magazine on 0? Great Southern?

0 is NOT being presented to the great unwashed masses.

Those of us IN 0 are well aware of alternative sources of news.

Newbies see H0 in the mainstream media.

Three rail different kettle of mackerels. But 2-rail, nobody talks about it in MSM.

I get younger folks by here for an OPS session (#1 gauge) and we talk about options....and they have, generally NO idea of 2-rail 0.

I show them examples.

So the question was, "Why isn't O Scale 2-Rail more popular with model railroaders?".

My OPINION is they aren't being informed. No idea. Never seen it.

Add to that, lack of decent products, the scaryshit of $5K used brass engines, and the total lack of NMRA interchangeability exhibited by 1.25 and proto 48, and why even bother/
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

E7

Postby E7 » Sun May 01, 2022 6:00 pm

Bob, Most of the replies on this forum are opinion as most of us know. I am editing your post to try and address the various points.

bob turner wrote:1. Some of us do not care whether O Scale
2-rail grows or not.

A major effort should be aimed at 3 Rail modelers. They are already into trains.

bob turner wrote:2. Some of us are simply incensed by the fact that other scales have really good products and we do not.

Cry me a river, Buy more O stuff, and they will very likely make more. Vendors make stuff for profits, not malcontents.

bob turner wrote:3. Surely there are other points that have validly been made in such an extensive, long-running discussion.
That omits any opinions about how relevant this discussion is to our overall desire to discuss model trains.

Better call the thought police.

Alan Arnold is probably NOT your favorite person right now, but by having that 2 rail forum (at his expense) and getting interaction from the 3 railers there, is exposing non 2 railers to our side of the hobby. Bad mouth the guy if you like, but he is doing us a service for no profit! Probably should give a shout out for Rich Melvin, as he was the guy that started it. Like them or not, some kind/nice words go a loooong way to up our stock. Obviously opinion.

If the "O Scale Kings" do not have a table at the York TCA, they would be smart to get one there, and every other 3 rail event they can manage to get to. Those are the people they need to target.

Rich

E7

Postby E7 » Sun May 01, 2022 6:16 pm

Dave, Not ignoring you, but if you've read my response to Bob, I think the prime group to go after/educate is the 3 railers.

Haven't read a MR in years....I was a "Pulp Fiction" guy (Railroad Model Craftsman) :mrgreen:

Take Care!

Rich

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun May 01, 2022 8:36 pm

Other way around. Arnold is not happy with me. He thinks I know nothing about copyrights, and would have reinstated me if I had agreed that my photos were not copyright.
Melvin and I have common ground - we both love airplanes and steam locomotives. Not sure I have ever run afoul of his moderation activities.
I can still read over there, and every time I think someone might need a post from me, I realize they really don't. Kind of liberating.

My summary was to try and make sense out of all these responses, not to offer yet again more opinions. I personally do not give a fig whether 2 rail O Scale grows. I am actually delighted that Southern California is showing negative growth. And the O Scale products currently available are beyond my wildest desires in 1984, when I started scratch building steam.

So please - have we accomplished anything that can be summarized?

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”