Page 1 of 1
Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:50 pm
by DaveJfr0
So...I finally got around to taking my Sunset Models 3rd Rail F3A's apart to slightly re-detail the shells, improve the lighting, cab interior, and fuel tanks.
I found what I believe is surface rust on the motor/axle mounts. My basement in Maryland is low humidity. I've owned these not even 2 years...so I'm quite surprised to see this. The same two parts across all four units show similar signs. The mount on the right holds the motor on the topside.
Anyone think I should raise this with Scott? Maybe its time he also make these in brass. Interestingly the fuel tank doesn't exhibit the same issue.

Re: Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:12 pm
by ScaleCraft
Obviously not brass. If is was mine, replace with brass OR go to an auto parts store and get a bottle of ExtendRust or RustMort or something similar. Scrape them down (don't make them shiny) and brush the stuff on. Turns black and kills the rust.
Re: Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:38 pm
by sarge
If your Maryland cellar is low humidity, you are in very exclusive company. Grin!
That would mean it happened before you got them, say in a container afloat on a great body of saltwater then sitting in the sea air in Long Beach. You might want to let Scott know, but I'd just knock it off, put some oil on it since that looks like it should be lubed anyway, and call it a day. If your space is as consistently dry as you say, it shouldn't come back and probably stopped once they pulled the box out of the salty soggy environment of the container.
Re: Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:50 pm
by DaveJfr0
Thanks.
I will be oiling these anyway, but will look at getting the extendrust sort of product and cleaning these up before putting the shells back on.
Re: Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:58 pm
by DaveJfr0
what are thoughts on naval jelly and priming/repainting the affected areas? I'm guessing oil or the extendorust is perhaps the better option?
Re: Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:29 pm
by ScaleCraft
Well, Naval Jelly (as opposed to Navel Jelly) will clean, sort of. Rust killers will chemically change the properties of said rust and keep it at bay far longer. Oil on rust?
Ever hear about how British cars rust?
Ever hear about how British cars leak copious quantities of oil?
One would think all that oil would stop the rust.
It doesn't.
Tools I have no problem oiling. Firearms, same. You see them and use them regularly.
Under a wing, boot, under your locomotive that you turn over and inspect every three years.....no.
Opinion.
Re: Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:52 pm
by DaveJfr0
ScaleCraft wrote:Well, Naval Jelly (as opposed to Navel Jelly) will clean, sort of. Rust killers will chemically change the properties of said rust and keep it at bay far longer. Oil on rust?
Ever hear about how British cars rust?
Ever hear about how British cars leak copious quantities of oil?
One would think all that oil would stop the rust.
It doesn't.
Tools I have no problem oiling. Firearms, same. You see them and use them regularly.
Under a wing, boot, under your locomotive that you turn over and inspect every three years.....no.
Opinion.
three years is being very generous, lol.
Also, you made me look up the spelling, but the Loctite stuff I have already is indeed spelled with 2 a's. lol
Re: Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:05 pm
by sarge
Fact remains rust will not propagate in a dry environment. Do as you will, but you're overthinking this. It ain't a Brit car out in the soggy environment.
I'd just clean it off and check again next you do your maintenance if your environment is as controlled as you say it is. If it's back, (meanwhile your bare steel wheels still look lovely and clean) there is a different issue.
Re: Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:20 pm
by Jay Criswell
My first thought was/is flux, left over from soldering the bushing/bearing carrier, not properly cleaned up at the factory.
Cleanup, repaint if desired, move on with your life!
Jay
Re: Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:12 pm
by bob turner
With Jay and Sarge. This happens on the cargo ship, and can occasionally lock screws in place - you may want to check those.
Clean, oil, don't worry about it. If you want, you can put a coat of paint on the cleaned areas before oiling. I would be cautious with naval jellies - they probably have chemical neutralizers in them that can cause later problems.
Re: Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:15 pm
by DaveJfr0
Wanted to close the loop here incase anyone else is looking to perform similar maintenance.
A few weeks ago, I used Loctite's Extend Rust Neutralizer and then coated them with some spare oil paint I had sitting around. Fine for now, but I guess I'll report back in a few years, lol.



Re: Sunset Models 3rd Rail Axle Mount Rust
Posted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:29 am
by up148
Thanks for the post Dave. I recently purchased one of the 2020 runs of 3rd Rail F-3's and the W/S had come loose in shipping or been pushed out by the previous owner while handling. So, I had it completely apart and found nothing like what you have. It came from the higher humidity
area of Oregon, so I'm wondering if someone (during assembly) didn't spill something on it or?
This is the first 3rd Rail F-3 I've had apart and I was very impressed with the ease of removing the shell. It is stuffed full of speakers, modules and drive, but removing three easy multi-wire plugs allowed the shell to come free.
The rust neutralizer is a good idea, hope it works for you.