Gettin' too old for this

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Gettin' too old for this

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:58 am

Ops Session tonight. We're down to once a month (started at once a week).
26 years.

Between 22-25 folks here, 3 or 4 newbies, rest somewhat regulars.

On my feet from 0900 to 2100.

I can hardly walk now!

Over half my engines were out at one time or another. Three 2-8-0's, two Shays, two Porters, a 2-6-6-2 Uintah, two K-27's. Absolutely NUTS. Not counting the privately owned engines that were trucked in.

Cleanup was a zoo. All the new guys had trouble it seems, cars were everywhere except where they were supposed to be.

Then at the end someone asked about old guns.
1915 version 1911?
Ah!

Dragged out my two black powder, exposed hammer, Damascus barrelled 12GA side by sides. Nobody had ever SEEN Damascus barrels before. Or three inch long brass black powder shells!
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

De Bruin

Re: Gettin' too old for this

Postby De Bruin » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:28 pm

Dave, you had to be gratified with that turn-out, these days we rejoice if we get 8 people.
Of course, ours is not as spectacular as outdoor either.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:11 am

Biggest turnout in a LONG time.

Had to check floor loading on the slab in the shop. Had 9 guys at once, two at the door.

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:01 am

Saturday saw an ops session here. Good turnout of folks and the railroad operated very reliably. Reliability might be the most important quality for ops, so the maintenance was done and the scenario cranked through several times before the actual date to test the selected equipment and the actual progression of work. The prep really pays off.

We did the L&HR interchanging EL and NH in 1965 this time around. I try to strike a balance between merely running trains and everyone soaked in sweat and feeling like they just did a shift at work on the other. I fear the latter put people off ops except perhaps the most anal. There is a balance where people will look forward to the next go and actually stick with you.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:47 am

We have a stack of numbered or lettered waybills. Trains actually DO something, every one.
None of this running in circles until you get dizzy, fall over and puke crap.
All the stations/stops/major businesses are two-letter telegraph codes.
1500+ feet of track, 4% ruling grade, "air brakes" are 1:1 spikes painted bright green. They lay between rails, small shoulder of head fits into depression between ties, large spike head overhang is against coupler face.

Holds at least 8 cars on a 4%. One day we should do a load test and promulgate a rule.

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:25 pm

I'd also say you had quite a successful event. Now if you decided to just run in circles and puke, would you still be too old for that? :wink:

Questions:
This is in O-scale?

Curious generally where this is located?

any Photos?
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:08 pm

DaveJfr0 wrote:I'd also say you had quite a successful event. Now if you decided to just run in circles and puke, would you still be too old for that? :wink:

Questions:
This is in O-scale?

Curious generally where this is located?

any Photos?

Two rail....but #1 gauge.
30-.06 shot east of Seattle.
Don't ask me how I know that.

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:47 pm

wow #1 gauge. I would think that turnout is even more impressive.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:23 pm

I did radio/battery for 26 years, built this as a place for us all to run, AND a business expense to display what I did.
All elevated, almost 5' at the main bridge, down to 1'. Easier than on-the-ground and bending over all the time. We saw that as a future problem when we looked at building it.
There are close to, if not exactly, 100 switches. Outdoors all handlaid (not by me....well, maybe 6 or 7) by Llagas. Tenmille Ground Throws on all but two which are air (hard to reach).
Code 215 and 250 aluminum rail. You would not believe the stares when ONE two-truck Shay hauls 28-32 loads, unassisted and no wheelslip, up 150' of 4% grade (unless it's wet).
Passing tracks, spurs, businesses, branch lines.
If I plan, I can put three K-27's out. two at 1:20.3, one Magnus at 1:22.5.
Three outside-framed 2-8-0's, at least two inside frame 2-8-0's, a 2-6-6-2, one Climax, one Heisler, two 2-truck Shays, two Porters, plus some stored engines (couple of 4-6-0's, a custom inside frame Mikado, couple of modernized 2-6-0's. and even a stored (functional) Vulcan Duplex. THAT was fun. Look it up.
So, take a complete Heisler, less trucks (when folks bought trucks to make 3-truck Heislers), cut the cab sides off, move back to the door is at the front side instead of back, pull the Heisler cylinders and driveshafts, running boards....make new running boards at cab floor height, and figure out how to modify and install two 0-4-0 Porter drives, and you're basically there.
All radio/battery, probably 3/4 or so with sound.

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:39 pm

Surely, there is video of your layout hanging around on YT or similar by now?

Not a garden railroader myself, but this definitely seems worth seeing.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:18 pm

I know some Canadian company filmed it. 15 minute slot on TV, years ago. We have VHS video over the years.

and the PLAN!:

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:21 pm

Thank you for sharing.

That's one serious trestle. Actually its one serious layout if its as big as I think it is. (assuming the diagram is sort of to scale with the single-car garage). How long did it take to build that trestle?

Out of curiosity since I've never done G...do you leave the buildings outside year round? How much inspection has to be done to make sure the track and structures remain in good shape each year.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:17 pm

most buildings stay out year around. There are some in that narrow photo that come in as I cannot get a clear shot with my 1911 at 0230 from upstairs.
POLA buildings are reasonably UV resistant...as in most have been out for 25 or more years, and some were used elsewhere prior to arrival here.
Rail is aluminum. Ties are UV Stabilized nylon or some kind of flexible plastic.

We blow it off before we run.....sometimes the critters have left "presents" we have to dispose of.
1500 feet of track, close to if not exact 100 switches.
Upper line is Code 250, branches and lower line Code 215.
NEVER clean or polish the rails. Better traction.
That narrow photo, gallows turntable on left, guy on bench in middle...absolute bottom of the line. Far end of that yard the 4% starts, and it's 150' of roughly continuous 4% to the top at Whiterock. There are two places higher, both logging/mining branches.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”