The famous GG1

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: The famous GG1

Postby E7 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:35 am

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:There is a P5a and a pair of E44's in that grouping; looks like the stuff that was up for auction from that shop and collection over in MD near Havre de Grace. Break it up and sell individually but no......

Considering the asking price for the whole pile, it may end up being for sale individually. Precious little danger of Trainz letting anything get away too cheap. :mrgreen:

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:54 am

De Bruin wrote:That’s a good question Rich though I’m not sure it has any relevance here given how many of these ancient basket cases Carey has acquired and restored to running condition. It's a lot and remarkably even some of the fine-scale Face Book pagers enjoy looking at it too. I truly appreciate Carey’s efforts though I’m not per-se a doorstop enthusiast outside of my club’s roster (and those Penn-Erie castings) and of course supporting my brother’s interest in them too.
My opinion (only) applying prototypical criteria to any of Carey’s “treasures” pretty much misses the point, or at least talks past what he’s showing us about where we were and where are now. No more and no less. Yeah that nose is a joke but who cares? Think about it; might last till the next ice regardless, even looked at as accurate (oh the horror) long after all our brass has de-soldiered itself and all the PVC and styrene have turned to goo. Your results may vary.

I'm NOT questioning Carey's right to buy whatever...his money, his choice...but I am sort curious if there is a theme to his mission, or are there any parameters to his quest? What is the criteria for making a buy versus not? Is there a "Holy Grail" out there?

Rich

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:10 am

I think so. His "theme" is slightly older and more gnarly than mine.

Also, like me, he values quantity more than quality. I don't really think that is a problem - the survivors can call any number of semi-reputable auctioneers, or the dumpster company.

I for one truly enjoy Carey's videos. Those older passenger cars look pretty good when they go by at speed.

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:01 pm

That quantity over quality thing can have some liabilities. Go for the dumpster only after you have set them out with a "FREE" sign.

bob turner wrote:I for one truly enjoy Carey's videos. Those older passenger cars look pretty good when they go by at speed.

They go by a bit too fast for my liking....hard to see details....maybe that is part of the plan!
Last edited by E7 on Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:04 pm

E7 wrote:........is a theme to his mission, or are there any parameters to his quest? What is the criteria for making a buy versus not? Is there a "Holy Grail" out there?

You'd have to ask him.

...he values quantity more than quality.

I do not think that's 100% accurate; he does sell some on eBay. Perhaps the chaff?
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:23 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:You'd have to ask him.

I was doing so in an indirect manner.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:35 pm

I recall some time ago here on MTJ, the subject in question was all excited over some E1 or E2 he'd bought, can't remember exactly, super rare, vintage, collectible..Denver something.
Saw the listing before he got it, voiced my opinion, remember one person hollering "it's worth what it sold for".
Except it wasn't. Hand carved wood, all the grain detail include for free, front apron bent metal, NAILED in upper corners so it dropped down...."fuel tanks" carved wood.....hairball roadname....dummy trucks (missing wheelsets) but apparently all part of quantity.
Two weeks later back on the Trainz site with the fuel tanks loose.

As bad as that GG1 is, you wonder why the company didn't survive. I mean, even then, it was "worth what it sold for" except it wasn't.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:53 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
E7 wrote:........is a theme to his mission, or are there any parameters to his quest? What is the criteria for making a buy versus not? Is there a "Holy Grail" out there?

You'd have to ask him.

...he values quantity more than quality.

I do not think that's 100% accurate; he does sell some on eBay. Perhaps the chaff?

It would be nice if you attributed Mr. Turner's quotes to Mr. Turner.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:15 pm

True - I said that, and forgot to add: opinion! Apologies.

He is not here to defend himself, which is a shame, because he wants to be here (opinion, again).

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:19 pm

bob turner wrote:
He is not here to defend himself, which is a shame, because he wants to be here (opinion, again).

what, he get thrown off? Not here!

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:46 pm

bob turner wrote:True - I said that, and forgot to add: opinion! Apologies.

No defense required! I just requested that when someone is quoted, that the attribution be included and be correct.

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:23 am

Hello all ...

I got a new password that works !!

1944 WW2 was winding down ..modelers we're chomping at the bit to buy new pieces for their layout . Large manufacturers were still locked into government contracts and it would take many months - several years to return to model train production. This window of time gave many little start ups sometime to jump into the field to fill the gap ...most jumped / forced out when the "big boys" returned to the field by 1948.
Prewar Ed Alexander provided a model of the PRR GG1.....producing an estimated 100 kits / models 1937-41).
Jack Collier of Oakland , CA hobby shop owner ..and active with the Bay City Model Railroad Club (O & HO scale ) ..produced a GG1 kit designed in 1944 ...for both O and HO scales . O scale GG1 RTR was $250.00 out the door ..huge money at the time .
Walther's partnered with Baldwin of CT ...and produced a GG1 by end of 1947 ..at about half the price ...
Collier's body casting is fine but nose area missed the mark ..chassis is great with full suspension on drivers .
Walther's / Baldwin got the nose right but the chassis was way wrong ...so much so Walther's had to point it out in his catalogs .
Collier pieces seem to have been only made in very small numbers .
Please see link to see the O scale version running
https://youtu.be/sQoYhlH-08M
To see the HO version running please see
https://youtu.be/oVCKryhxbCA

Cheers Carey

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:01 am

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325298856503

I wonder what "unrun 99%" is?

Seller isn't even sure about what it is: (PFM brass, with a tender, NYC from Southern Pacific? Single drive, like those underpowered Lionels) (is that white stuff BONDO? Did someone try to fix the one in this thread?)

Material: Brass
Scale: O
Type: Electric Locomotive
Features: Tender
Year Manufactured: 1940
MPN: 322
Gauge: O gauge
Corporate Roadname: New York central
Brand: Pacific Fast Mail
Franchise: Southern pacific
Replica of: New York central

I dunno. For an oddity with a screwed up shell, both ends, single power and only 99% unrun, fifty bucks delivered.
The sharpness at the nose transition to roof looks too sharp. Like Old Rivets, but..no rivets. Maybe it's the pasty white.....

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:50 am

ScaleCraft wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/325298856503

I wonder what "unrun 99%" is?

Sorta like almost cherry.

Carey Williams

Postby Carey Williams » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:22 am

the GG1 has an Alexander drive ....which he made both pre and post war
cheers Carey