The famous GG1

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: The famous GG1

Postby E7 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:46 pm

bob turner wrote:Agree with the early Overland. Pretty, but poorly built.

Agree with the "schnozz" comment.

But I actually saw parts of this one, and volunteered to fix the nose. Carey is preserving history more than creating accurate state-of-the-art models. Making this one actually run again is a serious accomplishment!

There is preserving history, and there is preserving a piece of crap. What is the comparison of it's $250 price to the cost of a Kohs? It would be interesting to see which was actually more expensive for it's time frame? And if you fix the nose (it is flat out abominable) you are not really preserving anything because you are altering it. If that's the only one ever made, that kind of tells the tale.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:11 pm

E7 wrote: There is preserving history, and there is preserving a piece of crap. What is the comparison of it's $250 price to the cost of a Kohs? It would be interesting to see which was actually more expensive for it's time frame? ........

That’s a good question Rich though I’m not sure it has any relevance here given how many of these ancient basket cases Carey has acquired and restored to running condition. It's a lot and remarkably even some of the fine-scale Face Book pagers enjoy looking at it too. I truly appreciate Carey’s efforts though I’m not per-se a doorstop enthusiast outside of my club’s roster (and those Penn-Erie castings) and of course supporting my brother’s interest in them too.
My opinion (only) applying prototypical criteria to any of Carey’s “treasures” pretty much misses the point, or at least talks past what he’s showing us about where we were and where are now. No more and no less. Yeah that nose is a joke but who cares? Think about it; might last till the next ice regardless, even looked at as accurate (oh the horror) long after all our brass has de-soldiered itself and all the PVC and styrene have turned to goo.
Your results may vary.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:45 pm

I am with Pete here - plenty of room for folks of all stripes in this strange branch of the hobby.

Carey goes lots further than I would - my passenger car fleet goes only so far back as the more modern Walthers, Kasiner, etc., with maybe three Fisher cars. Some of the passenger cars Carey is saving would not stay here. I cannot do "Wentzco" FTs, but really like the Pearce versions with full rivet detail. I am ok with the Adams six axle Diesels, but they cannot be slab-sided. I need at least cast sides, or soldered on rivet strips.

But I admire Carey's bent for preservation. I cheer him on, even if that nose would have been blocked here with scrap brass, solder, and bondo. He did a nice job detailing the sides - windows, etc., look a lot better.

I do not like Facebook, or I would be following him there. I can still see OGR, and he sends me e-mails. Yay!

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:51 pm

Just to back that up, here is a passenger car that did not make the cut around here:

This came through here with about four others, and went to Allan Wehrle (RIP). They may still be in the local system - but not here. I was delighted that Allan thought them worthy.

robert.

Postby robert. » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:31 am

I like his old stuff. Lots of times he’ll have videos of it running. . I restore old motorcycles. It can get annoying to me when someone uses 10 coats of hand buffed clear coat on a 1915 bike or the remove hundred year old paint just to make a bike look better than new.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:15 am

I'm not knocking Cary.....he's a good guy a and has done marvelous things with his stuff! My question is: where do you draw the line, if in fact there is a line. We'll call it the "Clint Eastwood" factor, aka the "The Good , The Bad, and The Ugly". I've collected "old" things in another hobby, and there was a pile of TRASH to be avoided. As they say: "One man's trash is another man's treasure." The trick is to avoid the trash. :wink: :lol:

E7

Postby E7 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:25 am

[quote="bob turner"]Just to back that up, here is a passenger car that did not make the cut around here:

[++/quote]

Doesn't look that bad to me.....what is it you don't care for?

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:29 pm

Yeah. You can fix that GG1.
Why?
No originality then. Sure it's fugly. But it is what it is.
Bondo, formed using templates cut from a known good unit, shape, spot filler, paint.
Then you have no more original paint.
As much as I love GG1's, I'd personally never have bid on that.
I mean, headlight position w/r/t body curves is such a giveaway
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:45 pm

Some of us are into preservation. Others are dedicated to accuracy.

But there really are no rules. While I refuse to cut Lobaugh coupler pockets, I routinely add boiler bands, lag clamps, lost-wax appurtenances, and cab rivets. Blasphemy? My models; I can do what I want.

Carey wants well-running preserved mofels. I admire his work.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:09 pm

bob turner wrote:Some of us are into preservation. Others are dedicated to accuracy.

But there really are no rules. While I refuse to cut Lobaugh coupler pockets, I routinely add boiler bands, lag clamps, lost-wax appurtenances, and cab rivets. Blasphemy? My models; I can do what I want.

Carey wants well-running preserved mofels. I admire his work.

BIG difference between well running models, where upgrades are hidden.
AND preserved mofels. Whatever those are, right?
If he wants appearance to be correct, find a different shell that already is.
I got no problem fixing them (or having someone else fix them) and running them.

Woody used to be all over my aXX about the ashcan headlights on my SC engines. That's the way they were, that's the way they stay.

Bottom line, it's his model.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:21 pm

Confusing. It is ok with me if Carey wants that nose as-is. Also ok if you use ashcan headlights. I think Carey is using original K&D motors with reversing switches. I use 8000 series Pittmans and older NWSL.
Also ok with me if folks wait for MMW and perfect models. It is all good.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:11 pm

See?
My SC engines have BIG open frame permags. Nobody can see them. Screwdriver mod, no milling, all the original field wound motors, reverse switches and wiring retained.
But original headlights!
And NO Kadees!

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:23 am

Here is a GG1 link for you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265824225220?h ... SwVBJi9Cbx
I note, without link, that Trainz has lowered the price on their wildly over-priced GG1 doorstop.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:57 am

Hard to tell from the photos. C-6? Not what I'm seeing, but how do you apply TCA 3-rail standards to these?
Missing pants, maybe bent, paint scuffed off bottom of shell.
His BIN is $500 each +. At least free shipping if you BIN and he'll include a tube of KY.
I'd give him $500. For the lot!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:19 am

bob turner wrote:Here is a GG1 link for you.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265824225220?h ... SwVBJi9Cbx.

There is a P5a and a pair of E44's in that grouping; looks like the stuff that was up for auction from that shop and collection over in MD near Havre de Grace. Break it up and sell individually but no......
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”