Bowed urethane castings - thoughts on a fix?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
DaveJfr0

Re: Bowed urethane castings - thoughts on a fix?

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:18 pm

So here's the results of the bakeoff. Hope no one else ever has to go through this. Learn from my misfortune....

Unfortunately the experiment didn't go well and while salvageable, I still need to figure out how to handle the transfer caboose flatcar body. It has admittedly far fewer decals I'd have to remake. I may try to do the metal bracing without the hot water, assuming the urethane lets me straighten it without much fuss. Have been depressed about the whole thing and have ignored this for a few days to do other things before finally coming here to post about it.

I admittedly probably made the water too hot (~180 degrees) and left it in there too long, it actually softened too much of the carbody and the way I originally had it mounted caused some of the carbody sides to bow, so I took an hour to fix those mistakes slowly, but I was able to mostly save it. I unfortunately think I will need to redo the paint and decals...as I'm not sure there is a way to remove the white haze. It only subsides when I put more water on it, lol. It was painted with acrylics and covered in layers of lacquer for the decals, and now you can clearly see where the decals are. Not the end of the world as the paint scheme is admittedly far too old for my era. Some of the styrene beams on the bottom curled up, but those are easily replaceable. The carbody itself kinda bows laterally a little bit, but I think I may be able to fix that if I glue in the steel weight back into the pocket. At this point I have nothing to lose but time.

Keith Wiseman never got back to me.

Warning of not what to do...don't dunk the whole car underside down or the good part will also bow...

This car also survived several maddening thoughts of giving up and smashing it against the floor after the carbody bowed.

Some Photos of the nearly deceased after an hour or two of selective dunking in hot water and my hands reshaping the sides back to where they needed to be:

how I ended up having to hold it in the water to keep the carbody from bowing under the clamps:

not perfect, but better than before and pliable enough to attempt to put some brass rod under it to straighten it out:
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:21 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

DaveJfr0

Postby DaveJfr0 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:32 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
DaveJfr0 wrote:So here's the results of the bakeoff. Hope no one else ever has to go through this. Learn from my misfortune....

That pretty much terminates my interest getting one of these kits.....

Someone spoke to me off forum and said it seems like whatever material Keith uses tends to do this. Oh well. Unless he has something I can't live without, I'm probably not going back.
Focus: 2R O-Scale, SOU/SCL 1967-1972
Blog: http://davejfr0.blogspot.com/

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:20 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:55 pm

Dismaying. I think maybe that one is a "strike". What is the term in railroadese - "bad order"?

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:29 pm

so we all learn from a mistake. first thought. Place it in a zip lock bag while boiling it. Second thing . from this. Only submerge one half of the car at a time. Maybe next time leave it in a hot attic for an hour or two. You may need to bend it past straight. So that when it cools it will shrink back to where it should be. Sorry for the bad advice on boiling it.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:49 am

Oh, man.

That might explain why I have had luck with a heatgun. You can control how much warmth and where. Even a hairdryer might be gentler yet.

Make no mistake, a heatgun can put too much down pretty quickly, so distance and time are your adjustments. You have to sneak up on them, sorta like soldering white-metal.

A couple thoughts at this point. First, I'll reiterate that the casting has moved to a new shape, but nothing says it is now or ever will be stable. Metal structure is still my recommendation.

As far as the hazing of the paint, give it an overcoat of the same gloss clear you used. I'm thinking it might be the same hazing one gets when shooting clearcoats in high humidity and an overcoat will deal with it. Can't hurt to give it a go.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:21 pm

Dave, Sorry to hear things didn't work out so well. I was skeptical about the boiling fix from the git go, and think that should not be attempted unless your name is Mandrake. Worst case the car can be used as part of a wreck or salvage scene. Sometimes there is more satisfaction to be gained by getting out your largest hammer and having at it! Always enjoy reading of your exploits (the walk down Broadway, and some of the train trips)!

Take care,
Rich

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:51 pm

I read the whole thread and into my mind popped the memory of an O scale specialized boxcar kit that I bought years ago. All of the "plastic" casting were sharp and extremely well-made. But (fess up, you knew something was coming, didn't you :mrgreen: ) the floor is 1/32" too wide for the body and I do not have the capability to shave off 1/64" evenly from each side. Oddly, the floor's length is spot-on. It was put back in the box with a pair of good trucks (I had put them in the kit box before I noticed the floor's problem), now I have to find the kit and extract the trucks before I unload the kit. Probably on the free table at a show. :( .

I know that this really has nothing to do with Dave's problem but the discussion triggered the memory and I thought that was a reasonable place to share it.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:01 am

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”