The Tridaily Doorstop -- Bob's Mexicano Electric

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
J. S. Bach

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #24 -- Mi-Loco UTLX Tank Car

Postby J. S. Bach » Fri May 20, 2022 7:34 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote: ...snip... Note that the couplers pivot on the king pins, but are not fixed to the trucks. This is one of the tells of a Mi-Loco model. Did any other manufacturer do it this way?

Weaver's three-rail couplers were done that way, so easy to two-rail; remove the couplers, install KD couplers, change the axles, done.

EDIT: Weaver designed the three-rail "system" after the original two-rail system was in production. The tooling did not have to be modified.
Last edited by J. S. Bach on Mon May 23, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R.K. Maroon

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #24 -- Mi-Loco UTLX Tank Car

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun May 22, 2022 1:49 pm

The only Mi-Loco catalog I know of is half-size. Here is a page from this catalog showing the tank car:

I have seen two of these tank cars lettered for MLTX, which appears to be the fictitious Mi-Loco Tank Car company:

Fun stuff for the collectors out there.
Slow progress is better than no progress

R.K. Maroon

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #25 -- Lobaugh SP Wood Caboose

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 pm

#25 -- Lobaugh SP Wood Caboose

I believe Bob posted one of these not long ago:

As far as my catalogs show, this is the only wood caboose ever offered by Lobaugh. By that, I mean the prototype is wood sided, though in this case it is also true that this is the only caboose model made of wood that Lobaugh offered. I prefer models that are made from a material that is representative of the prototype. So wood models for wood prototypes, and metal models for metal prototypes. It is hard to stick to that when your roster is filled with cast models like mine is, but it's a preference, not a doctrine. But I do like this caboose.

Lobaugh also made a model of a steel SP caboose, which seems to have been the more popular of the two (but alas, I do not have one)

Jim

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed May 25, 2022 9:45 pm

Way better looking than mine. I will get some photos momentito.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed May 25, 2022 11:00 pm

I may have posted this one in this thread - but here it is again. Not as nice as Jim's, but the same kit, with the same wrong trucks. Maybe I should work on it a bit?

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed May 25, 2022 11:11 pm

And this one is the all brass Lobaugh SP, with correct trucks. First brass car I ever soldered together, and first time I sprayed Scale Coat - a very long time ago!

I do have another wood Lobaugh caboose - way better than the above - I turned down $300, I think. But I cannot find the photo.
I have since soldered together several Lobaugh SP and ATSF caboose kits, some of which are simply polished brass. Time for another photo shoot.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu May 26, 2022 12:46 pm

Neat T&NO example Bob, did they really have Allied trucks? They look like ancient castings.
Interestingly the T&NO book by Goens has photos of these T&NO cabooses with red ends instead of the orange.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu May 26, 2022 1:29 pm

I don't know. The SP versions must have, because that is why Lobaugh produced the Allied truck sideframes. Not familiar with the end color schemes, but I plan to capture a copy of the SP caboose book. I should do that this evening - I think it is a hundred bucks not counting shipping and tax.

I found the photo of the good caboose - I think it is the same model, but with better window frames and a better builder.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu May 26, 2022 1:32 pm

Oh - and for Dave - I re-gauged the track and re-did the backdrop since this photo. I believe arch bars are correct, but in the 1950s these things had Vulcan tender trucks. One still exists somewhere in Benson, Ariz, but I haven't seen it in 60 years. It had been used in "Oklahoma!" but the Bensonites painted it in boxcar red and planted it in a park. The locomotive - I think it was 1645 - is in Tucson somewhere.

Edit - finally got shots of the unpainted Lobaugh postwar cabeese - I built these two, and had them highly polished maybe 20 years ago. They could stand a really good cleanup about now. If you want to learn soldering, these are good for a beginner.

Santa Fe:

Southern Pacific:
Last edited by bob turner on Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu May 26, 2022 10:24 pm

Here is a photo of the wood SP caboose as it arrived:

I don't know who built this model. I sent it to John Fisher not long after I got it, as he had motive power to pull it at the time and I did not. He noticed what I didn't, which is that the side hand rails were mounted incorrectly. He could not abide by that and reworked it accordingly (see earlier photo for "after" shot).

Here is the bottom view:

If you know what you are looking for, you can tell that this model is equipped with Faber trucks. As I recall mentioning sometime earlier in this thread, Faber trucks have a separate leaf spring on the bottom side of the bolster, which provides lateral stability. One tell for these is the presence of the round bushings under the screws that hold the sideframes on. These are the bearing surfaces for the leaf spring.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sat May 28, 2022 11:10 am

Here is the SP wood caboose as it appears in the 1941 catalog:

This caboose first appeared in the 1936 catalog. It did not reappear after the war. As mentioned, it was the only wood caboose offered by Lobaugh.

I always chuckle when a pre-war catalog talks about "old timers". Their perspective was quite a bit different from ours.

R.K. Maroon

Re: The Tridaily Doorstop #26 -- Icken CN GE-IR Oil-Electric

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun May 29, 2022 12:00 pm

Icken CN GE-IR Oil-Electric

This Fred Icken model of a Canadian National 600-HP oil electric is the first diesel I have posted in this thread:

The model features a cast bronze shell. The casting quality is as good as any such model and far better than many or most. The model was finished by Canadian Rob Taylor, who lives in Kanata, Ontario, a large suburb of Ottawa. The road number of the model matches the prototype, which was the one GE-IR unit owned by the CN. Both prototype and model date to before WWII and are among the oldest in the business.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sun May 29, 2022 1:47 pm

I believe you. Didn't Icken make these as diseasemal (oil-electric) and overhead power electric?

No exhaust stacks?

Those squiggly thingies in the middle of the roof....looks like four of them....opposing thread pitch?

Mounts for a base of pantograph or pole?

Blew the photo up, 's what it looks like.

Maybe exhaust deflector?
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Sun May 29, 2022 4:21 pm

Dave, here is a similar unit, but one without roof-mounted air tanks. I would guess that the four objects in the middle of the roof are mufflers:

This model is owned by Andy Brusgard, who was kind enough to send photos to me when I was first posting about doorstops on this forum.

Jim

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sun May 29, 2022 4:33 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:Icken CN GE-IR Oil-Electric

This Fred Icken model of a Canadian National 600-HP oil electric is the first diesel I have posted in this thread:
The model features a cast bronze shell. The casting quality is as good as any such model and far better than many or most. The model was finished by Canadian Rob Taylor, who lives in Kanata, Ontario, a large suburb of Ottawa. The road number of the model matches the prototype, which was the one GE-IR unit owned by the CN. Both prototype and model date to before WWII and are among the oldest in the business.

Please post a photo of the drive. I have something very similar but it is probably a brass import.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”