Who Is Yankee Scale Models

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
up148

Who Is Yankee Scale Models

Postby up148 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:37 am

I thought I knew most of the O scale manufacturers or customer builders, but then saw this on EB today. Who is Yankee Scale Models?

Looks like CLW gearboxes, but P&D chain drive and maybe P&D shell. Has see-thru side screening and roof vents.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175053722379?h ... SwhUxhrsgP

sarge

Re: Who Is Yankee Scale Models

Postby sarge » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:48 am

That was brass etched sides and roof, lost-wax castings, and a cast nose, done and marketed by Russ Briggs back in the early ‘80s, pre-P&D.

That is a CLW drive of the period, btw, not Weaver. The rivets on the gearboxes give it away.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:21 pm

Thanks Sarge, you're a wealth of knowledge. I owned some Russ Briggs UP passenger car kits and one coach that was supposedly factory built (nicely), but I knew nothing about this F9A kit. Russ was a prolific supplier of interesting kits and items back in our O scale "golden days" of the late 80's and 90's.

On a different note, (you're jogged my memory) I remember buying an etched brass sides kit to convert some plastic bodied F unit into a F3. It came packed on a flat sheet of cardboard and wrapped in cellophane. I can't remember much else about the kit and I sold it in the late 90's without using it, but I remember it was a very nice kit and the etchings were excellent.

I also once bought a kit from a club friend that was used to build a "scale" GP9 out of a Lionel loco. This was before RC brought out their GP9 offering and the only option to own a scale GP9 was brass. It had to be a kit from the 50's or 60's, as it was very basic. No idea who the manufacturer or modeler who made the kit.

Great trip down memory lane!

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:43 pm

I just remembered these brass side kits were to convert the early Atlas (Austrian built) into an F3......I believe an F7 kit was offered as well. This was about the same time P&D was selling some RTR Atlas shelled loco's on their frames and drives. Nice locos, but side grills were not see-thru like the later P&D kits. Maybe P&D or Des Plaines offered these kits.

sarge

Postby sarge » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:22 pm

One of the very first things Pat did that blossomed into the P&D range of Fs was the B-unit shell to match the Roco F9. It was a hot seller back then, made to snap onto the original drive from Roco. It all started from Ted Stepek's Roco F9a, something designed for Atlas to attract the beginner but turned into a huge range of modelling opportunity.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:50 pm

sarge wrote:One of the very first things Pat did that blossomed into the P&D range of Fs was the B-unit shell to match the Roco F9. It was a hot seller back then, made to snap onto the original drive from Roco. It all started from Ted Stepek's Roco F9a, something designed for Atlas to attract the beginner but turned into a huge range of modelling opportunity.

I remember those B-unit shells, but for some reason, never bought one.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”