Page 1 of 1

Bob Jakl

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:41 pm
by R.K. Maroon
Dennis Mashburn reports that Bob Jakl passed away recently. He was 88. I met him only once, but he struck me as a truly great fellow. His layout was spectacular, if the videos are any indication. I have been told that building it was quite the family affair. I have met two of his sons -- also super nice guys.

Here is a short clip of a long video of the layout. It shows only the CB&Q part -- the whole layout is much bigger than what is shown here, and it's all just as good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJzSwYupKbA

As I recall, Bob built those bi-levels himself. They look great to me!
Jim

Re: Bob Jakl

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:17 pm
by ScaleCraft
R.K. Maroon wrote:Dennis Mashburn reports that Bob Jakl passed away recently. He was 88. I met him only once, but he struck me as a truly great fellow. His layout was spectacular, if the videos are any indication. I have been told that building it was quite the family affair. I have met two of his sons -- also super nice guys.

Here is a short clip of a long video of the layout. It shows only the CB&Q part -- the whole layout is much bigger than what is shown here, and it's all just as good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJzSwYupKbA

As I recall, Bob built those bi-levels himself. They look great to me!
Jim

Still waiting for four minutes and thirteen seconds of drone ads to go away with sound off.

Re: Bob Jakl

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:19 pm
by ScaleCraft
still going....

Re: Bob Jakl

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:20 pm
by ScaleCraft
there. Now I can watch it!

Re: Bob Jakl

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:10 am
by bob turner
Met Bob over 30 years ago at a meet in east LA. He and Elizabeth are nice folks. 88 is what we all aspire to. I think Bob was a Delta Airlines employee, and retired to his Sierra home and model empire. He will be missed.

Re: Bob Jakl

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:58 pm
by Jay Criswell
Bob was a good friend. Kathy & I will miss the many interactions we enjoyed with Bob & Elizabeth. All three of his boys are still active in the hobby. This is the obituary.
https://www.mariposagazette.com/article ... KfazLeVxdY

Jay

Re: Bob Jakl

Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:11 pm
by R.K. Maroon
Thanks for posting the link to the obit, Jay. I knew Bob worked for Sperry but didn't know he moved around so much.

I also noticed he went to high school in Hinsdale -- this is also where fellow O-scaler Richard Garberson went. Bob would have been a senior when Richard was a freshman.

Jim