This is interesting on EB

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: This is interesting on EB

Postby bob turner » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:40 am

You actually said they looked well-built.

Thet do not compare in detail to, say, Overland, but they appear to be about halfway between my U50 and Overland, so maybe just barely out of the doorstop category. Truck sideframes are sand cast - but brass, apparently.

I am impressed. If I were just starting (and not kinda shocked by my accumulation) I would get one.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:40 pm

up148 wrote:I believe these are LW kits and way over priced IMHO, except for maybe history buffs. I've never seen a built up model, but back in the 90's I saw a kit for sale at MM and saw some advertisements for it some 80's OSN. I was told it is a kit that requires a very experienced and talented builder. These look to be built pretty well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185533442788?h ... SwE85i890v

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175379486744?h ... Swn01i88em

Same seller now has a listing for kits:
Ebay #175390705321- O Gauge Brass 3rd Generation UP Gas Turbine GTEL Kits - Includes "A" and "B" Units & their Slope-Back Tender

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:23 pm

I gotta say I am impressed. I captured some photos from the listings. This looks like a project for Maroon's "Old and Rare" series - I never heard of this supplier before.

Yes, the kit is overpriced. But the two finished models look reasonably priced, especially given what appears to be quality drive components. I am sure someone will discover that those gearboxes are the ones that crumbled due to zinc pest, but they look ok from here.

Glad my collection is semi-complete, or I would have bid on one of the finished models.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:16 pm

bob turner wrote:..........given what appears to be quality drive components. I am sure someone will discover that those gearboxes are the ones that crumbled due to zinc pest, but they look ok from here.

Was wondering....
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:00 pm

When I was considering purchasing one of these kits back in the mid 90's ($1000's cheaper than an OMI model) a much more knowledgeable O Scaler got me aside and informed me these kits were an absolute bear to assembly correctly. Apparently they didn't square up easily and it was almost like scratch building the model, due to the amount of corrections and cutting they needed. I think LW kits were noted as being "not for the faint of heart".

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:59 pm

up148 wrote:I think LW kits were noted as being "not for the faint of heart".

While that is true for LWS kits, I doubt that this locos are from LWS kits.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:47 am

Your right Rufus. I just went back to look at the listing for this Kit and see it's a 3 Unit Gas Turbine and none of these models or kits were mfg by LWS.

This is interesting, I wonder who "Scale Brass" SLC Utah was? Maybe one of our historic O scale guru's can comment.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”