This is interesting on EB

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: This is interesting on EB

Postby E7 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:29 pm

Rereading this topic it is interesting to think that except for a few states (those with NO sales tax) the whole stinking thing is a scam, because unless the item is NEW (how often does that happen on Feebay), sales tax has already been paid on it when it was sold originally as a new item (again with the exception that it was sold new in a no sales tax state [there are 5]. You can thank the Supreme Court for the Wayfair decision. :evil:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:12 am

I don't think that concept is new - we have been paying taxes on used cars and airplanes forever. It's just that it is now easier to track.

The way it was explained to me by a friendly franchise tax guy many decades ago - I am on my honor to declare all purchases for which no sales tax was assessed, and submit what is called "use tax" with my yearly return, regardless of new or used.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:23 am

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:55 am

I can remember back in the late 90's, the city where I lived issued a special city sales tax number when you requested a "garage sale permit". You were supposed to charge sales tax on all sales and a city employee came by to collect the taxes after the sale was over. Everyone raised h*ll for a year or two, but then it became the norm and forgotten. Nothing is certain in this world except "death and taxes". :lol:

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:08 am

Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:04 pm

Arrrr Matey's! Behold a quite rare double headed Clyde BoBo Goods Diesel sighting on 'da Bay

I'd say tharse whu happens wid the remnants of a Roco F9 kitbashed from two A's to one B?

Aye, a noble creechur 'tis....
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:21 am

Just cruised through that collection - he had more passenger cars than any other kid in the country! And Trainz is planning to get him top dollar! Glad I already have enough trains- doubt I could afford these.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:44 pm

Yeah it looked like he had (among a lot of other cool stuff) a very nicely done complete Congressional consist from MAC shop kits, albeit Trainz has split it into two lots in the listings.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:59 pm

De Bruin wrote: albeit Trainz has split it into two lots in the listings.
There is a lot of funky stuff in that collection. The weirdest pieces are the shorty Amtrak streamliner cars, several of which are articulated. There also seems to have been a few really nice passenger sets in that collection, but Z separated them and placed them into unrelated lots - I saw several nice looking C&O passenger cars dispersed into different lots. (Z is great at putting the one good piece with 4 beat-up pieces.)

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:19 am

Chris Webster wrote: There also seems to have been a few really nice passenger sets in that collection, but Z separated them and placed them into unrelated lots - I saw several nice looking C&O passenger cars dispersed into different lots. (Z is great at putting the one good piece with 4 beat-up pieces.)

AKA: How to get rid of your junk! The answer is, make you bid based on ONLY the items you want.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:55 am

Are their photos getting worse, or are those cars really bent?

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:03 pm

A link would be nice; Trainz is listing over 89,000 items listed (as of last night), I really do not feel like searching through all of them.

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:40 pm

J. S. Bach wrote:A link would be nice; Trainz

Go to their website (not ebay) and pick O-Scale-2-Rail from the "Model Trains" menu.

When the results come up, change the "Featured" (on the top right of the listings) to "Date, New to Old". You may also want to click on "Passenger Cars" under the "Type" menu that is on the left side of the screen.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:03 pm

thank you.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:42 pm

Nothing going on in the hobby, so I am cruising - I note that an OGR poster just bought a nice 700E for two grand - he is very happy, although something is warped badly enough that the pilot drags. Then I note a 1990s version going for under $300 so far. I have always had a soft spot for the Lionel Hudson, and still have a 2-rail 763.

Then to eBay, where a nice AN NW-2 is offered for under $12,000. It might have been plated, but hard to tell - I suppose the zamac can be polished to a high reflectivity. Price cannot be an anomaly, since it has a comma, and two zeros after the big numbers - but maybe eBay adds those. Still . . .

Nothing else going on here - off to the airport.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”