Scalecraft Mountain on eBay

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Scalecraft Mountain on eBay

Postby bob turner » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:40 pm

But repersented as a CLW, imported from Korea. Eight hundred bucks - most of that is in the super details, like chains on the trucks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/194454163741?h ... SwDsFhZ0wh
"preciouskarl" is an eBay pro - I guess he knows what he is doing.

E7

Re: Scalecraft Mountain on eBay

Postby E7 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:50 pm

He pulls some interesting stuff out of the hat on occasion.

I don't look at Feebay too much since their latest fiasco. They screwed the pooch as far as finding stuff.

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:57 pm

Certainly is a pricy Scale Craft, and I agree that the Bay seem to have outdone themselves in not understanding the Model Railroader, or train enthusiast. I cant understand why you would remove scale or gauge as a search parameter????

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:16 pm

Just because it's in a Korean die cut Styrofoam box don't make it imported. What is the bare spot around the main axle gear? Cover glued on that fell off? Sure makes it easy to lube with a cover over the gear.
$800? No way.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:16 pm

bob turner wrote:"preciouskarl" is an eBay pro - I guess he knows what he is doing.

FWIW, nearly all of his sold items were "best offer accepted."

My understanding (from reading the ebay reddit) is that sellers now prefer the "best offer" system over traditional ebay auctions. With a best offer, the buyer only has two days to pay after the seller accepts the best offer while in regular auctions buyers have 4 days to pay. Running a auction for 5 days, then waiting 4 days to find out that the "winner" isn't going to pay (and so you have to start over) gets really old fast!

Apparently deadbeats are so common now that a lot of sellers are only doing Buy-it-now listing because those require immediate payment.

robert.

Postby robert. » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:26 am

Deadbeats is one problem. The biggest for me is no bidders. It's best to set a starting point you can live with and hope you pull a few more dollars out of it. Gone are the days of multiple bidding.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:10 pm

Chris Webster wrote:
bob turner wrote:"preciouskarl" is an eBay pro - I guess he knows what he is doing.

FWIW, nearly all of his sold items were "best offer accepted."

My understanding (from reading the ebay reddit) is that sellers now prefer the "best offer" system over traditional ebay auctions. With a best offer, the buyer only has two days to pay after the seller accepts the best offer while in regular auctions buyers have 4 days to pay. Running a auction for 5 days, then waiting 4 days to find out that the "winner" isn't going to pay (and so you have to start over) gets really old fast!

Apparently deadbeats are so common now that a lot of sellers are only doing Buy-it-now listing because those require immediate payment.

Ebay is all for instant gratification. A week long auction ties up THEIR resources for (obviously) a week. BIN, bang it's done (presuming the auction?? [I would call it a sale] gets a bite), and they've got their money and on to something else. Pretty obvious they would like a quick retail sale over a 7 or 10 day (do they even allow 10 days anymore???) auction. The 64 dollar question is, a Buy It Now eliminates the all out end of auction bidding that would occur on an auction of an item that has attracted a bunch of Snipers ready to shoot it out at the end, which sometimes generates some silly money. Yes, Feebay benefits by BIG numbers, but they also benefit by VOLUME and QUICK sales.

Ebay makes their money regardless

You'll never know the auction potential of an item unless it is actually auctioned. It also seems to me that there is equal potential for a deadbeat regardless of the sales format.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:56 pm

At least Karl figured out it was a Scalecraft.

E7

Postby E7 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:27 pm

bob turner wrote:At least Karl figured out it was a Scalecraft.

Most of his auctions are pretty accurate....seems like a straight shooter to me.

steamaheadstephen59

Postby steamaheadstephen59 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:42 pm

I like action snipper, being in Australia it means I don't have to stay up all night ( Ive tried that, no thanks ) I tend to miss bargin Buy It Nows, because there gone before I wake up!

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”