What’s on your Workbench?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: What’s on your Workbench?

Postby bob turner » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:35 pm

Okay. I will keep trying -
This is a creation built around fragments of a live steamer. It came to me as a 4-2-0 of ungainly proportions, obviously working in some sense. I pulled the cylinders and backhead, and recycled the rest. Getting close . . .

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:26 am

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:50 pm

No - I have more respect for my camera's sensitivity than that. Picture a clown ear with exquisitely machined D-valve cylinders and a well dsigned vertical copper boiler. Not worhy of a photo.
I did look for the KD Casting sideframe - it will turn up, but call Bob and explain what you are looking for. Slightly smaller and more delicate detail than the Lobaugh CNW caboose trucks under Pete's caboose. Or look for the Lobaugh - they are not truly rare.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:51 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:56 pm

Actually, I would have loved to have been able to do Chicago this year, not because its a cost-effective shopping expedition but just for the fun of it, see some friends, &c. Sadly I cannot this year, but hopefully next year nothing gets in the way. Its been far too long for me.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:39 pm

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:45 pm

Lettering and colour done. Bolted up ready the seal once the decals are good and dry. Then weathering before disassembly to glaze and light. A far cry from the incomplete pile-o-bits it was when arrived here...

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:15 pm

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:34 pm

I glaze brass with acetate secured from inside with Testors Canopy Cement. It makes for a very neat job that is very robust.

Lurking behind? A couple mechanical refrigerators spotted at the cold-plant...

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:02 pm

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:32 pm

Rufus T. Firefly wrote:
Polyacetate.....ok.

Actually, the stuff made to go through a printer or copier to make overheads back before Powerpoint. Thermally resistive so has never shown a tendency to yellow or curl. Cut with a decal scissor to get complex shapes and I have at least two boxes of the stuff left over from when I had to say something to large audiences as a condition of my employment. I'll never run out and I paint a lot of stuff. Grin!

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:52 pm

We figured OSW was a grand more or less when gas was $2.50 a gallon. If I fly up there it will be a grand just for AvGas, and no way I would drive on California freeways during Memorial Day weekend - But we did it mostly to get out of Dodge, spend quality time in hotel rooms, see San Luis Obispo, and in general enjoy California's spectacular scenery. Side benefits were visiting friends, some of whom have passed on, and seeing vast quantities of 2-rail O Scale, just waiting to be taken home. I rarely took much home, since one more box car, and I may have to move out.

While I am at it, I will post one more project - still kind of in the "maybe" category for gears, power, and paint.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:04 pm

Top drawer looking S2 their Sarge, very cool! This must be for one of your earlier layout operating scenarios.
Care to elaborate? I find each one interesting for own era, roads, equipment etc.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

sarge

Postby sarge » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:08 am

De Bruin wrote:Top drawer looking S2 their Sarge, very cool! This must be for one of your earlier layout operating scenarios.
Care to elaborate? I find each one interesting for own era, roads, equipment etc.

I can. This S-4 goes into the yard with an NJ/CB S-1 (on which Jay Criswell kindly did his update on the drive). The scenario is 1966 NYC(B&A) interchanging NH, a tacit nod to Western Mass. Road power includes an FA/RS pair and a Kemtron GP20 that was a Covid lockdown build. NH is handled by a Kemtron Geep that came from an old friend, Bob Guillette. This scenario gets made complex by the addition of passenger service, specifically the post-RDC "Beeliner" which usually consisted of a 64-chair PS coach and a single RS-3 or E. In the scenario, operators also handle some REA traffic with that train.

sarge

Postby sarge » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:12 am

Bob, you get my vote for power, detailing, and paint on that PRR D. Very evocative and just "needs" to be finished. Grin!

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”