What’s on your Workbench?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
E7

Re: What’s on your Workbench?

Postby E7 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:56 pm

bob turner wrote:The real surprise is how much of it has been preserved.

Tell me everything that Max Gray imported? He was known to do one offs for friends (at least that's what I read)! It's my contention there is more not known then there is. I do agree that the old Mags are a wealth of knowledge! One thing there is no disagreement on: it's all fun, as Maroon says!

sarge

Postby sarge » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:53 pm

Truth be told, we’ve all turned out one-offs for friends and for ourselves. O scale is probably the largest refuge of the scratchbuilder and kitbasher in model railroading, at least amongst us old guys, our mentors, and their mentors going back to the days long before Joshua Lionel Cohen put electric motors on flatcars in a store window. That being said, a rich full history means god knows how many models are out there with lost history, built in a basement workshop or out in the shed. In that sense, you are absolutely right, Rich.

Next case, to be honest the line between something being of a particular manufacturer and of an individual can be really blurry. Is my RSD-15 mine or is it still an Overland even though I broke every bone in its body and it now is unrecognisable as any one of the versions OMI made? There are lots of those sorts of things out there in this scale.

Lastly, our history is indeed a subject of great interest and has quite a following. From the truly suspect like that book published by White River and the column in RMC, to the carefully researched like Maroon’s body of work (and I’m not blowing smoke up your arse, Jim), there is a lot out there. Bob is right, too. There is a lot we know. Problem is, there is a lot we think we know and just remember wrong. God knows my memory of who did what has been demonstrated imperfect here on these pages more than once. Even Jim, as careful as he is, has been caught out and has updated his writings.

History isn’t as clearcut as one might think. That’s why it’s interesting.
No-one ever forgets where they buried the hatchet.

E7

Postby E7 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:26 pm

And you never know what's going to show up at some Show/Swap meet or on Fleabay or on some Forum, or in some Mag.! :wink:

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:57 pm

Meanwhile, I’ve been working on freight cars. Some are pretty stock, some conversions, some repairs, and a few are kits.

A sampling:

I’m building a roster of cars appropriate for 1960-61; two operating scenarios in mind. You’ve seen some of the locomotives such as the LV FA’s, John’s Erie F7s, and Ben’s RS-2.
Last edited by sarge on Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:06 pm

I really didn’t like the streaks on that black Lackawanna car. Sometime, even when a photo of the real thing sends you down a path, the result just doesn’t “scale”. In this case, the rain-streaked cement on black was just too contrast-y to look convincing.

Back into the booth we go to clean some of that back a bit. Much happier with it now.

Did some L&NE cars, too:

sarge

Postby sarge » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:56 pm

One scenario here features L&N in the mid-70s. Back in 1976, SCL transfered their C-420s to L&N, so I thought it would be fun to do one as they appeared right after they arrived. A simple patchpaint and renumber job:

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:11 pm

I am impressed with your self-control. I (note opinion) consider these maybe the best looking intermediate road switcher- EVER.
That you could roll with it as patched over second or third owner scheme is impressive.
I was thinking grey and blue L&HR with those cheap "CR's".......
8^)
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:18 pm

Currently, two SD-70's. One CN, one CP, will run back to back.
Installing a full set of RC gear and NiMH packs, one with sound, one without.
Lighting relay to reverse power to light board.

But, they're #1 gauge....but still 2-rail.

Back in my heyday, I did three or four engines a week. All my R/C and sound suppliers spat the dummy, so when I find gear, I get to install it.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

sarge

Postby sarge » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:24 am

Pete

I’m with you on the C-420 being one of the sharpest looking of the intermediate roadswitchers. I like them probably too much, having amassed more of them than any sane man should possess. It doesn’t help that the Oriental model is an excellent representation and stellar performer.

If I can find an excuse to work one in, I’ll do it. Grin!

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:15 pm

I only have one (CLW, I think) with the CLW drive; I am moderately happy with it. It gets mu-ed with a powered Custom Brass GP-30 (also CLW drive) and a non-powered one. They are painted in my EASTERN MARYLAND speed-lettering scheme stolen from the Western Maryland.

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:45 am

J. S. Bach wrote:I only have one (CLW, I think) with the CLW drive; I am moderately happy with it. It gets mu-ed with a powered Custom Brass GP-30 (also CLW drive) and a non-powered one. They are painted in my EASTERN MARYLAND speed-lettering scheme stolen from the Western Maryland.

Love to see a photo of that. I didn’t know Bob Smith made one in kit form. Is it possible to oblige?

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:55 pm

sarge wrote:
J. S. Bach wrote:I only have one (CLW, I think) with the CLW drive; I am moderately happy with it. It gets mu-ed with a powered Custom Brass GP-30 (also CLW drive) and a non-powered one. They are painted in my EASTERN MARYLAND speed-lettering scheme stolen from the Western Maryland.

Love to see a photo of that. I didn’t know Bob Smith made one in kit form. Is it possible to oblige?

Unfortunately no as it got misplaced during my move and has not surfaced yet.

sarge

Postby sarge » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:28 pm

Looks like we’re on again after quite the kerfuffle. Guess that means I need to get busy and finish a few things…

Grin!

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:55 pm

sarge wrote: I like them probably too much, having amassed more of them than any sane man should possess.

Ah, so that's why I rarely see any of them for sale!

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:01 pm

Not on my workbench, but here's the likes of an engine I have never seen before (from a Ron's Books sale page

https://www.ronsbooks.com/SEABOARD-COAS ... 26827.html

Anyone seen this one before?

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”