Passenger Cars 2021

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: Passenger Cars 2021

Postby bob turner » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:19 pm

Happy to.
I work with uncut extrusions - I think Jack was planning a full-on kit with special couplers, etc. Remind me - I brought the articulated chair car home for high res photos, and note that I have some peculiar roof corrosion. I wonder if some impurities got in the extrusion die.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:08 pm

Well, I have a handful of blanks for the ends if anybody wants them.
Reason I changed the is I don't like blank, flat surfaces. And, this way the ends are the same as the NP custom painted set I have.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:24 pm

Here is a section of the Speer extrusion. Note that the corrugations are "innies" - a characteristic shared only by SP Daylight and some ATSF cars. All the rest are variations of the excellent Kasiner pattern.
Also note - there is an inaccuracy in the count of corrugations - that may be one thing that discouraged Jack, but for me I cannot tell you without counting where the error is, even though I have in the past verified it. In short - a "don't care."

I should add that I have photos to corroborate my assertions about the Lobaugh truck - but I have beat that dead horse before.

Chris Rock

Postby Chris Rock » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:59 am

Bob, I was looking around for images of the ribs and came across a video which includes great close up shots of them. The link below should work to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNYYSsILMJA

Erik C Lindgren

Postby Erik C Lindgren » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:25 pm

Some cool stuff here fellas.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:24 am

This is a new hi-res shot of my articulated coach. It is done with Speer extrusions, and just an ever so slightly wider diaphragm over the center truck, to get it around 74" radius track. No interior, no roof detail, no handrails, and note that some of the trucks do not have brake cylinders. It got new roof paint yesterday, because there was some peculiar corrosion on the roof - maybe an impurity in the extrusion process.

These things cannot hold a candle to the better passenger cars from Wasatch or even Golden Gate or K-Line, but they make me happy. I run a Daylight string of half Kasiners, half Speer, but all matching with Scale Coat colors.

I note that even high resolution doesn't reproduce the corrugations very well. I think you can visit my Shutterfly account and see better resolution, but not sure how that is done.
Last edited by bob turner on Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:28 pm

Cool car(s) there Bob!, How did you mount the shared center truck? The diaphragm looks tight too like the prototype- great!
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:34 pm

Very simple. Center truck is screwed to a brass tongue, and a 1/8" piece of screw extends upward. The mating car has a drilled tongue that slips over the screw extension.

The diaphragm is four pieces of aluminum - smaller pieces exactly fit inside the extrusion, and larger pieces match the exterior, minus a teeny bit for the ribbon. Four coil springs hold the diaphragm assembly in place.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:25 pm

Bump.. Seems a long time ago, but in reality it has been only a couple months. Pete sent me a Kasiner Duplex, which was going to be L&N, but I decided to do it in orange and maroon. I know Milwaukee was done with that paint scheme by the time any Duplex arrived on the scene, and certainly they never had the Kasiner version at all, but you will remember I am the guy who mated a PA body to a Fairbanks Morse nose - if I can get away with that I can get away with anything. Photos once I get the maroon stripe properly masked and painted.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:47 pm

I'm pretty sure all the extrusions ended up in Clovis, CA. No not with me.

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:01 pm

Well, bump again. There are some really cool photos in these 17 pages. Mine are on the verge of being lost due to some strange re-arrangement of the Shutterfly links - note the articulated car on page 17, which is still in my Shutterfly file, but now has a new address. Could be Shutterfly changes the address after two years?

The most striking cars are Maroon's GM&O cars scattered throughout. Really worth a second look! And I had started an ATSF Diesel, but never got around to making the complicated ends. The GM&O "Rebel" locomotive is a logical place for this extrusion to wind up.

Take a look. This is a lot like getting a new copy of O Scale News in the mail, except the photos are bigger and better.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:12 pm

Oh - by the by, look at post 6 on this page - the one with the Daylight articulated coach. When I edited it to add the photo you see, that "image" box came up with an address - very similar to the one that is creating the photo below it, but not identical.

So I contacted Shutterfly - the only way to do that is to type questions to an "expert." She told me that Shutterfly is not designed to host photos, and that I would not be able to post photos the way I am currently doing it. Presumably, once the software engineers learn of that restriction, all of my photos will be wiped out of here, and I will have to go learn Dropbox. Meantime, I will take a look back in time, and replace photos that drop out - maybe by starting new 2023 threads.

But not this one - all but one of my photos are still here, and all the other photos are seriously worth a second glance.

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:27 pm

Well, that's interesting Bob and appreciate the info. I thought Shutterfly was a hosting service. The last time I heard from them (year ago) the rules had changed and you had to order one of their products with one of your photos on it at least once every 18 months. Seems, they're changing the rules again. Guess will have to find another place to host photos if we want to post here.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:13 pm

I think it is ok - obviously it still works. There are just some strange quirks.
I cannot pinpoint a time - some links survive lots longer than others. Pretty sure I have a year and a half of valid photo links.

The SP Steam 2020 thread is pretty much photo free, so I shall re-do that one. I haven't checked the UP threads.

gregj410

Postby gregj410 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:35 pm

I probably opened up Pandora’s box purchasing this K line UP flat end dome car. Of the 8 car set(from what I’ve been able to tell) this is the more desirable of the set. I saw one of these go for nearly 600$ on eBay a few years back. I nabbed this one for 200$ shipped, and another just went off at 300$. So all things considering I’m off to a reasonably good start if I decide to acquire the set. Had I known I’d fall in love with the K line’s I would have never wasted my time or money on the Lionel 72’ er’s. I’ll likely sell these off to fund the K lines. The colors are very close between the 2 brands. I’ve never been a fan of the silver trucks or window frames on the Lionel’s. The roof heights look very close but I like the way the K line appears to ride lower with the added skirting and the gray colored trucks look less offensive.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”