Passenger Cars 2021

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Passenger Cars 2021

Postby bob turner » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:01 pm

Just went searching - apparently all photos have been purged from our original passenger car thread except for a couple that Pete posted. So maybe it is time to re-do the thread? I suggest starting with nice old stuff, but I think we would all be delighted with PSC or Protocraft or Wasatch.
Potential contributors - ask us how to post photos. Turns out that even computer illiterates can do it.

bob turner

Re: Passenger Cars 2021

Postby bob turner » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:02 pm

Here is what we think is a Joe Fisher car:

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:40 pm

I'm game.
This is a Walthers B60 with sides modified to widen the second door, Doors are scratched from a CD gem case, cut and masked to simulate the modernized metal doors with sealed windows. Trucks are Lobaugh, decals are from a nice custom run by the SCL Historical Society done awhile back.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:51 pm

Of all the local forumites the one I would most like to trade photos with is Pete. I can share some cars that Maroon now has, and another pair of possible Joe Fishers, but for now this one is for Pete:

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:51 pm

Well thank you Bob, I'm happy to oblige. That combine is a beauty I covet though me-thinks it's a delux smoker lounge-combine Pullman plan and not one of the "cheap" seats that one typically associates with company owned combines in the deep south.
Wayne just earlier posted here and then deleted this car that's about three computers ago for me, so I dug it out of one of my survey compilations.
Way back when between Maroon's research and this forum I was finally able to identify it as a Pomona Valley shell, spot welded from punched sheet steel sides and ends. A 12-5 pre-war Broadway "Brooks" series duplex bedroom car finished with MicroScale sets and some really nice Napoleon trucks from an undetermined manufacturer. It has a matching 4-4-2 PV brother yet to be finished. They'll both wind up up with Jim as he has the appropriate "motors" for them.
I did this craziness before Bill Badsen started his business, scratching most of the underbody hardware out of wood, spare plastic parts etc. as I couldn't find it commercially and had not yet availed myself of a Chicago Show yet. The visible silver screw is the sole thing holding the roof onto the rest of the car, though the PV metal shell was so well built/straight I wasn't compelled to add a corner mounted roof kit.
I like it a lot though it's 17/64 and looks odd with my Kasiner and Walthers cars.
Last edited by De Bruin on Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

prrjim

Postby prrjim » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:05 pm

I sort of prefer GGD cars for model RR use. They are not as detailed as PSC or other brass, especially underneath, but they track well and the superstructures look good from -2-3 feet away. They are sturdy enough and cheap enough for layout use too. My budget could not justify a string or in my case 2 short strings of brass cars. The GGD PRR P70 coaches and heavy weight pullmans that I am familiar with are ok models of their respective prototypes too. Also I have 52 inch minimum curves and these cars handle them with ease with no modifications.

My layout "operates" with up to 8 operators, and stuff does have to perform and does get handled and run. These cars work well in that environment.

I don't have any photos but I could take some.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:53 pm

Yes, please - photos. That would make three of us.
I agree - I have one plastic GGD Pullman, and with one subtle exception it is, at a short distance, the most realistic looking car in my fleet. Looks even better than its brass GGD companion. I don’t do plastic, so do not have a string of these, choosing instead to run Walthers.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:57 pm

Photo's are always good. I concur with the GGD's, we have a string of the GGD PRR P70/B70/BM70's etc. on the downtown club and they are sturdy and now track well after we got the bolsters adjusted correctly. They look great too and play well with the Weaver B60's and X29's and the old Walthers/Auburn HW's.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:22 pm

One of my favorites - Walthers:

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:55 pm

This was a gift from Jim Seacrest. He told me it was a Fisher, and I reckon he was the expert. Apparently there was an entire string of these, and I got the baggage cars. Really nicely made!

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:10 am

It does seem to have those build characteristics typical of Fisher cars, specifically the back supports for the door and end stirrup steps, and the color of that copious underbody hardware.
Nice! though I'd be tempted to re-letter for something like B&M, CP or CV

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:06 pm

[quote="De Bruin"] Image

You guys have forgotten more about passenger cars than I will ever know. The window arrangement here seems odd to me, as I don't see the point of three different heights. Care to explain the purpose?

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:17 pm

12 Duplex Single Rooms, 5 Double Bedrooms
Probably a PRR PS124 class sleeper

Floor plan:

http://prr.railfan.net/diagrams/PRRdiag ... &sz=sm&fr=
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

E7

Postby E7 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:45 pm

Floor plan is in Chinese LOL, but I'll assume windows for upper and lower bunks! Thanks Dave!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:12 pm

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly on Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”