Passenger Cars 2021

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Re: Passenger Cars 2021

Postby ScaleCraft » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:57 pm

De Bruin wrote:Thanks Sarge, Sunset; I painted a few of them but couldn't remember the manufacturer (color of the box) They were nice and sturdy as I recall and came with optional full width diaphragms with brass end plates. Of course getting them tight coupled enough to look right meant big problems on curves so .....neat looking though.

Two tricks that have helped me in the past on tight coupled, diaphragms, and curves:

Super-glue clear plastic sheet on the ends of the diaphragms, so they don't catch on each other in curves. Second in the close-coupled coupler drawbar fix, I have several with that mod.

Forked end, fork fits around a screw and washer back towards the frame bolster, two parallel bars under end of car, full width, pin in drawbar to align inside parallel bars. Set your couplers to correct height and distance, as the car curves coupler stays same place.
One bar works if you use a spring to hold the fork back.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

Chris Webster

Postby Chris Webster » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:02 pm

sarge wrote: both Creeks survive, at least one is running and certified.

Hickory Creek last month: Railpictures #785332

I assume the Sandy Creek is still painted in the Norfolk Southern scheme. I saw it at least once parked alongside Atlanta's Peachtree Station when its owner was still the CEO.

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:20 pm

Great pic, Chris. It's a self-fulfilling statement, but a timeless paint scheme always looks good. Thanks for posting the link.
Slow progress is better than no progress

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:59 pm

Four days inactivity - I must have done my Daylight cars somewhere in these pages. But here they are again!

First, I have a string of converted Kasiners - crude, I admit, but all I wanted was a string of Daylight cars. The corrugation is the NYC version, and SP used an inverse variant, but you cannot tell from the photos. Also, the letterboards and logo plaques are auto body putty, filling in the corrugations at appropriate points.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:02 pm

I captured two more images, but they are really low resolution. If I don't get around to taking better photos, they will be next. One compares the Speer extrusion to the Kasiner. I do have one exquisitely done B-C Daylight coach, of which I should have a photo somewhere.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:04 pm

bob turner wrote:Four days inactivity - I must have done my Daylight cars somewhere in these pages. But here they are again!

First, I have a string of converted Kasiners - crude, I admit, but all I wanted was a string of Daylight cars. The corrugation is the NYC version, and SP used an inverse variant, but you cannot tell from the photos. Also, the letterboards and logo plaques are auto body putty, filling in the corrugations at appropriate points.

I have...4?...Kasiner cars. They are shorties, but still, same parts just cut short.
I never figured out what the end treatment they were trying to convey was. I really had an issue with mine..plain ends.
I ended up ordering Lionel ends and fitting them.

Yes, some SP Daylights were fairly plain, albeit with diaphragms and such, others like this:

https://spdaylight.net/Consist_files/chair_79-c-2.jpg

(that's a link on purpose...copyright)

Full website link:

https://spdaylight.net/Consist.html

What prototype did Kasiner try to emulate?

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:21 pm

The early Kasiner series numbered one through ten, were based on a variety of prototype road plans. The #3 coach was based on a plan for a huge 200 car order by PS for the NYC
Here's my take on the # and the prototypes (there may likely be more) and any corrections welcome with prototype cited.
#1 18 Roomette - PS NYC/PRR
#2 24 Duplex - PS one in the Pullman Pool, 10+ CN, this plan actually based on a PS fluted car for the AT&SF's Indian series
#3 Coach (fluted) – PS NYC
#4 Baggage Mail – PS GN
#5 Dining Car - PS GN?
#6 Baggage-Coach (fluted) – ACF NYC
#7 Observation - PS NYC
#8 Lounge Observation (fluted) -? (based on #7 plan)
#9 12 Duplex 4 Bedroom (fluted) – ? (based on a Budd plan for the B&O)
#10 Astra-dome (fluted) -PS GM train of Tomorrow - UP
There were a lot of variations from Kasiner too, not all based on prototypes either but were often the smooth sided plans getting applied to a fluted extrusion or vice-versa. Some examples include
#? Buffet Lounge
#? Baggage ACL
#? Dining Car (fluted) MKT/SLSF
#? Various coach plans (fluted) SAL
Last edited by De Bruin on Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:00 pm

Did not know that. I thought I had one of every variant, and an extra coach someone had sanded the flutes off of.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:21 pm

De Bruin wrote:The early Kasiner series numbered one through ten, were based on a variety of prototype road plans. The #3 coach was based on a plan for a huge 200 car order by PS for the NYC
Here's my take on the # and the prototypes (there may likely be more) and any corrections welcome with prototype cited.
#1 18 Roomette - PS NYC/PRR
#2 24 Duplex - PS one in the Pullman Pool, 10+ CN, this plan actually based on a PS fluted car for the AT&SF's Indian series
#3 Coach (fluted) – PS NYC
#4 Baggage Mail – PS GN
#5 Dining Car - PS GN?
#6 Baggage-Coach (fluted) – ACF NYC
#7 Observation - PS NYC
#8 Lounge Observation (fluted) -? (based on #7 plan)
#9 12 Duplex 4 Bedroom (fluted) – ? (based on a Budd plan for the B&O)
#10 Astra-dome (fluted) -PS GM train of Tomorrow - UP
There were a lot of variations from Kasiner too, not all based on prototypes either but were often the smooth sided plans getting applied to a fluted extrusion or vice-versa. Some examples include
#? Buffet Lounge
#? Baggage ACL
#? Dining Car (fluted) MKT/SLSF
#? Various coach plans (fluted) SAL

so....based upon this list of variants...how many differences in car ends was here?

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:51 pm

As far as the actual prototypes, depending on the buyers specs there were multiple variations in the car ends with regard to ribbing, railing, built-in markers or not, diaphragm hardware, striker-plate shapes etc.
As far as Kasiner's I'm aware of at least two types of car ends that came in the factory kits.
Both rudimentary/not detailed. The aluminum plate I believe came with the newer version in the black carton, the balsa wood version supplied with the earlier original plain cardboard carton. Note both came with the full width sponge diaphragms that would notoriously decompose granularly after extended exposure to light and fluctuating humidity.
I prefer using the BCM version above on the left, they fit the Kasiner extrusion well, are easy to drill, solder, detail etc.
Also note included an example pair of the full width diaphragms striker plates from those lightweight Sunset PS cars that we discussed earlier for comparison, these make decent end plates as well(sans the skinny black vinyl bellow of course).
Last edited by De Bruin on Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:35 pm

I use aluminum plates - an inner one that fits inside the extrusion and screws to the wood inside the car, and an outer end that is held by machine screws, and filed to fit.
The only thing missing is the rivet lines. I can live without.
On the Mac Shops, Dennis cast me some one-piece Kemtron ends. They look great!
I dislike the Kasiner cars with cut ends - most of mine were converted to open vestibule. I machine the end doors right in to the extrusion - looks a bit like the CRC cars.

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:11 am

I prefer using the BCM version above on the left, they fit the Kasiner extrusion well, are easy to drill, solder, detail etc.
Also note included an example pair of the full width diaphragms striker plates from those lightweight Precision Scale PS cars that we discussed earlier for comparison, these make decent end plates as well(sans the skinny black vinyl bellow of course).

I do too! The rivet detail is beautiful and very nicely done.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:22 pm

The one with silver journal lids is a Speer extrusion - arguably the most accurate ever done in O Scale. The other one is a very well done B-C models kit. As I understand it, it was built and painted in the Sacramento area many decades ago, using actual SP enamel obtained from the shop.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:27 pm

This is low resolution, as I mentioned earler. I am ready to take new photos, but somehow run out of daylight before I get off the couch.

Astute observers will note the lack of brake cylinders on these Lobaugh trucks. I, like many others, am too lazy to turn out eight of these things for each car and solder them. So I had a master made with integral cylinders - some of my cars now have them.

On the Lobaugh trucks - and again I repeat myself - the aspect ratio and general proportions of the Lobaugh casting are simply better than the most expensive "Hat" trucks available, and in my opinion are the best looking of any ever produced.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:35 pm

Bob, I'm interested in the specifics of that Speer car. Can you take some 3/4 and end shots when you get a chance and post them? I have some photos of cars that were listed or described as by Jack Speer but they don't look like yours and I'd like to know if that's just because of the camera/photo angle. Most interesting stuff.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”