I just noticed there is a seller with at least 5-6 early mfg. diesel and steam locos for sale. I know nothing about them or asking prices, just found the group interesting.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133808089575?h ... SwygVg4MVK
Big list of GM and other cast models on EB
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: Big list of GM and other cast models on EB
Growler. Straight-cut A-N gearboxes, with speedometer cable drivelines. Open frame, field wound motor.
You didn't catch it?
That's one of those really, really rare ALCO F-7's.
Mister Turner is gonna have some comment on windscreen shapes.
Probably a nice piece. I'd never pay that for straight cut gears and speedometer cable drivelines, that needed stripping and repaint, and new permag motor.
But, hey, that's just me.
You didn't catch it?
That's one of those really, really rare ALCO F-7's.
Mister Turner is gonna have some comment on windscreen shapes.
Probably a nice piece. I'd never pay that for straight cut gears and speedometer cable drivelines, that needed stripping and repaint, and new permag motor.
But, hey, that's just me.
Dave....gone by invitation
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Big list of GM and other cast models on EB
Might be a Ken Kraft, but sure looks poorly done. Seller is an eBay pro, but knows little about older 2-rail, so has overpriced it by a bunch. Might be smarter than me; junk is selling at a premium these days.
-
Chris Webster
- Posts: 944
- Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 8:25 pm
Re: Big list of GM and other cast models on EB
The E-unit with "E 7 T" written on its noise is kind of interesting: HEAVY CAST BRASS Scale Model 2Rail O GA E7/8 DIESEL LOCO 2 Motors FIX/PARTS DEAL
I wonder what's the point of the electrical switch in the fuel tank, thrown by the rod that sticks out each side of the unit? Maybe directional control and/or isolating it from the track?
The unit probably pulled decently with its two motors, all wheels driven, and all the weight -- cast shell & cast engine block.
Seller also has a very nicely assembled, but poorly-handled, GP40 built from a CLW kit:CLW GP35: BRASS Scale Model 2-Rail O GA GP type DIESEL LOCO 14"L Runs VG+Deal!
Looking carefully at the photos, I see the builder seems to have installed the frame backward.... but the workmanship is really nice. There's no visible gaps between components, the soldering is really neatly done (no blobs), etc.
I see a lot of CLW GP35s on ebay, but not many GP40s. The GP40's $225 starting price is lower than I've seen unbuilt CLW GP35 kits go for on ebay. It's also not a bad price compared to what the kits sold for. I have a box from a CLW GP35 that has a $99.95 price factory-printed on it; the builder needed to buy two of those CLW boxes to end up with a running unit.
I wonder what's the point of the electrical switch in the fuel tank, thrown by the rod that sticks out each side of the unit? Maybe directional control and/or isolating it from the track?
The unit probably pulled decently with its two motors, all wheels driven, and all the weight -- cast shell & cast engine block.
bob turner wrote:Seller is an eBay pro, but knows little about older 2-rail, so has overpriced it by a bunch. Might be smarter than me; junk is selling at a premium these days.
Seller also has a very nicely assembled, but poorly-handled, GP40 built from a CLW kit:CLW GP35: BRASS Scale Model 2-Rail O GA GP type DIESEL LOCO 14"L Runs VG+Deal!
Looking carefully at the photos, I see the builder seems to have installed the frame backward.... but the workmanship is really nice. There's no visible gaps between components, the soldering is really neatly done (no blobs), etc.
I see a lot of CLW GP35s on ebay, but not many GP40s. The GP40's $225 starting price is lower than I've seen unbuilt CLW GP35 kits go for on ebay. It's also not a bad price compared to what the kits sold for. I have a box from a CLW GP35 that has a $99.95 price factory-printed on it; the builder needed to buy two of those CLW boxes to end up with a running unit.
- ScaleCraft
- Posts: 6693
- Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 pm
Re: Big list of GM and other cast models on EB
Chris Webster wrote:
I wonder what's the point of the electrical switch in the fuel tank, thrown by the rod that sticks out each side of the unit? Maybe directional control and/or isolating it from the track?
Looking carefully at the photos, I see the builder seems to have installed the frame backward.... but the workmanship is really nice. There's no visible gaps between components, the soldering is really neatly done (no blobs), etc.
That sure looks like a hand-reverse. When you have a field-wound, open-frame universal motor and no rectumfrier, you use those. If you are familiar with a Lionel E-Unit, basically the same thing without the solenoid...and an "L" shaped rod attached to the drum.
What I don't quite understand is the motors have no exposed field windings, yet 4 wires to one motor as a field-wound would have. And wires to hand reverse. Methinks the motors might have been updated at one time to permag, hand reverse left in place, and Sharpie on top of floor stating "DC".
Yeah, that stuff is nice, but drive, motors, all old school.
For what it would cost somebody to upgrade to current standards (oh, a can in there , Delrin chain A-N trucks and new driveshafts or even ship it to Jay to fix on the F7) just ain't worth it at starting bid.
Dave....gone by invitation
-
Carey Williams
- Posts: 688
- Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:10 pm
Re: Big list of GM and other cast models on EB
Hello all
Heavy cast brass E unit with manual reverse ..by Baldwin 1950's ... nice engine weight
Alco FA looks like Ken Kraft ...which is quite a nice casting
Buyer purchases at local auctions and flips on eBay .
Cheers Carey
Heavy cast brass E unit with manual reverse ..by Baldwin 1950's ... nice engine weight
Alco FA looks like Ken Kraft ...which is quite a nice casting
Buyer purchases at local auctions and flips on eBay .
Cheers Carey
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Big list of GM and other cast models on EB
Baldwin E-unit castings had a seriously flat roof arch. I had a really nicely done Baldwin E7, then good old Roy Lee Pfizer told me about the roof. Destroyed it for me.
It is probably floating around LA - lettered Colorado Midland, done by Ron Kizer. Ran like a watch with All Nation transmissions and track shoes.
It is probably floating around LA - lettered Colorado Midland, done by Ron Kizer. Ran like a watch with All Nation transmissions and track shoes.
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Big list of GM and other cast models on EB
You know, if it is this one, there is something decidedly strange about the casting
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133808089578
It looks one piece, like Baldwin, but the roof is indeed arched. The pilot looks like an advanced warning device, and while the sides look like Exacta or Adams, the nose looks alien.
It could be fifty bucks worth, but not around here.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133808089578
It looks one piece, like Baldwin, but the roof is indeed arched. The pilot looks like an advanced warning device, and while the sides look like Exacta or Adams, the nose looks alien.
It could be fifty bucks worth, but not around here.
- R.K. Maroon
- Posts: 3136
- Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:20 pm
Re: Big list of GM and other cast models on EB
Good eye, Bob -- I was wondering if anybody else would notice that the shell is not a Baldwin. There are several tells, but the slant in the forward body vent gave it away for me:

This is indeed an early Exacta. I have an AB set with the same flaw:

At some point somebody caught the mistake and fixed the pattern:

Overall I like these over the Baldwins and more or less on par with the SIebers Bros. E7 (Adams and Son casting set with Siebers sides and drive):

The nose is a bit better on the SIebers and the roof has rivets, but the sides are better on the Exacta, specifically the presence of battons. Of course, the better-than-the-average-doorstop paint job on the Rock Island unit makes it easy to like. VROOM, VROOM.
For the record, I would buy that Exacta shell for $50. Not interested in the bashed Baldwin chassis. I have a set of Exacta drives looking for a shell.
Jim

This is indeed an early Exacta. I have an AB set with the same flaw:
At some point somebody caught the mistake and fixed the pattern:
Overall I like these over the Baldwins and more or less on par with the SIebers Bros. E7 (Adams and Son casting set with Siebers sides and drive):

The nose is a bit better on the SIebers and the roof has rivets, but the sides are better on the Exacta, specifically the presence of battons. Of course, the better-than-the-average-doorstop paint job on the Rock Island unit makes it easy to like. VROOM, VROOM.
For the record, I would buy that Exacta shell for $50. Not interested in the bashed Baldwin chassis. I have a set of Exacta drives looking for a shell.
Jim
The link below any photo will display the image full size
-
bob turner
- Posts: 13647
- Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Re: Big list of GM and other cast models on EB
There may be hope. Patterns exist, and a friend is checking on a sand foundry in Des Moines.
My E7B patterns have languished for two years in Pennsylvania - same guy who cast my beautiful Erie Built sides. If they are still in business, maybe we can get some new stuff.
My E7B patterns have languished for two years in Pennsylvania - same guy who cast my beautiful Erie Built sides. If they are still in business, maybe we can get some new stuff.
Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests