The "Woody" D&H Challenger

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
ScaleCraft

Re: The "Woody" D&H Challenger

Postby ScaleCraft » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:37 pm

R.K. Maroon wrote:
This is the first time to see it with my own eyes fully assembled (and not exploded) -- what a great model, and what great restoration work by Bob (with thanks also to Dave for his help in making it all happen). I discovered a small amount of interference -- just enough to keep the boiler from sitting down flush with the rear steam chest. So I get to take it apart again, but this time I know what I am doing so no worries (famous last words). There is also still some handrail repair to do but I hope to have a test run of engine and tender soon.

Jim

I didn't really take it apart. Sort of self-disassembled. The rear screws under the cab to tail beam were snapped clean off. Small, 0-80? Dunno. The two I did remove for sure were at the rear cylinders. Went straight up into threaded holes in the boiler. I threaded them back into the boiler holes for shipment.
With the force of the explosion, who knows if that area of the boiler is not stretched out a bit. Just aft of there was the automotive "freeze plug" pinned into the front of the firebox to hold the weight slurry in while it dried. It was mostly popped loose, I removed it and sent it off to Bob with the rest of the bits, along with the brass tube conduit for headlight wires that kept the weight slurry from locking the wires in place.
I don't think I would try to dress the boiler down, rather remove material as needed from the top of the cylinder saddle. Working the boiler down might pop solder loose, methinks.
Does look good. Far better than it did!
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:19 pm

It's been many months since the last update on the Lobaugh D&H Challenger. I have not been successful locating decals for this model but the recent arrival of an Alps decal printer has restored the motivation to keep the project going. In my last post, I showed the locomotive assembled and stated there was an interference that would require some attention. I completed that (small) modification, reassembled it, and put it on the layout today. After a brief checkout running light, I put it into service pulling a string of tank cars:

The work caboose is a placeholder until such time as I can get the Ambroid kit I have for a D&H caboose built. A brief video of the locomotive and tank cars in action can be seen here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypzoibitqginnu1/Lobaugh%20D%26H%20Challenger%20with%20Tank%20Car%20String.mp4?raw=1

The locomotive, with its two open-frame motors, draws two amps and doesn't seem to be working too hard. I will give it a better workout once I get the decal work complete.

Eagle eyes may have noticed that the front rails are missing. That is next on the list along with ginning up (or locating) the artwork needed for the decals.

Jim
Slow progress is better than no progress

sleepmac

Postby sleepmac » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:19 am

Jim, very nice!!

Dan Weinhold

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:27 pm

Thanks, Dan -- The credit goes to 1) the unknown original model builder, 2) Woody Mathews for somehow acquiring it, 3) Dave "Scalecraft" Goodson for retrieving this model from the Seattle auction house and cleaning out all the lead shot from the boiler, 4) Richard Garberson for packing it all up and shipping it to Bob Turner, and 5) Bob himself for his masterful restoration, including complete rework of the exploded boiler. I will take a small amount of credit once I get it decaled and otherwise finished.

In the meantime, here is another short video clip of the locomotive in a pacing shot. The camera operator does not have particular steady hands, so apologies there:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tf9r2knb9bskseh/Lobaugh%20D%26H%20Challenger%20Running%20Light%2002.mp4?raw=1

I don't like to get ahead of myself, but the out-of-the-gate performance of this locomotive is encouraging. It even slips through the reverse curve of a #5 turnout with no particular problem:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ub22fo8p7nauds/Lobaugh%20D%26H%20Challenger%20%235%20Turnout.mp4?raw=1

Jim

E7

Postby E7 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:07 pm

That is some INSPIRED work by Turner!

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:28 pm

Thanks. I am a true Lobaugh freak, and could not bear to see this one languish. But I am also inspired by Jim's generosity - quite a few doorstops around here came from Jim.
That, and I am really good at boiler work.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:38 am

bob turner wrote:I am a true Lobaugh freak....

While we have freaks in some abundance, I prefer to think of you as an aficionado or a connoisseur.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:52 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: I agree.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:32 pm

It was Hippie speak for “aficionado”.
I am also a box freak. Absolutely kills me to send a good box to the recycler.
Worse - you should see my nut and bolt collections. The Greek wants them gone!

E7

Postby E7 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:01 am

bob turner wrote:It was Hippie speak for “aficionado”.
Worse - you should see my nut and bolt collections. The Greek wants them gone!

Schmooz her up a bit....take her out for some moussaka!

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:34 am

bob turner wrote:It was Hippie speak for “aficionado”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRGrNDV2mKc

Boxes, I have, too. But they come & go with eBay sales, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:20 am

Sticking this here - Lobaugh D&H Challengers are rare, but not nearly as rare as the N P variety!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Older-Brass-O- ... ect=mobile

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:11 am

Yes -- that is one rare model. A Lobaugh collector might be hard pressed not to pull the trigger on this one.

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:48 pm

bob turner wrote:Sticking this here - Lobaugh D&H Challengers are rare, but not nearly as rare as the N P variety!

Anything that seller (oldtimetrainmaster) lists is overpriced!

R.K. Maroon

Postby R.K. Maroon » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:59 pm

The decals for the D&H Challenger arrived today:

Note the stripes -- especially the rounded corner stripes. These are for the box around the road number on the side of the cab.

Applying these will be a test of my nascent decal skills. Fortunately there are spares of everything, and I bought a second set just to be sure.
Jim

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”