The "Woody" D&H Challenger

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: The "Woody" D&H Challenger

Postby bob turner » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:48 am

Yes, ready for all that. In return . . .

Everybody needs another lost wax Mike. Even you.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:04 am

Bob,

Another question, is the little narrow vision 7K tender made using Lobaugh parts? I only ask because I have dozens of the wrappers. Yours depicts what I think SP called the The Bayhore tender, or C70-9. The oil tank Lobaugh made was for the C70-10. Always preferred the 9.

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:53 am

Yes. I prefer the narrower oil tank. The first one was done by flattening and trimming the Lobaugh oil tank. If I have an original, it is because it came in the mail that way.

Jay Criswell

Postby Jay Criswell » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:02 pm

Bob,

Never thought about modifying the -10 oil tank. I'll have to check that out. Yes, I agree, the narrowed tank of the -9 is my preferred version.

Your package is waiting to be picked up.

Jay

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:58 pm

This has truly been an interesting and rewarding project.

Again many thanks to Jay for the completion package, to Dave for the unpleasant task of cleanup and the really good packaging for shipment, and to the Garbersons who, in 112 degree heat, shipped this project.

I shall note that while there are departures from the actual Lobaugh kit, this can be described as a genuine Lobaugh D&H. Rare as hens' teeth. Only ones rarer are the NP Challenger and MoPac Mountain. Maybe the P1 Pacific. I have seen more Lobaugh Cab Forwards than D&H Challengers.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:51 am

Not being a Lobaugh modeler, how much of this model came stock in the kit and how much is updated/improved beyond the basic kit?

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:15 pm

Components are all Lobaugh, except for cab, motors, gears, and tender underframe. A lot of delicate lost wax was added - as an example, the front end throttle and guides for its rods are really finely done lost wax. Mine are always just drilled brass levers and short handrail posts.

There is about a pound of lost wax NBW castings in the firebox area. A lot of parts are held together with 00-90 hex screws.

A lot of this worked to my advantage . Heating up a boiler this thick usually means soldered things fall off. Not this time - nothing moved! Well, a couple boiler bands popped loose, but that was it.

I think the tender underframe is/was the same as the Pacific, so if one wanted to convert to pure Lobaugh, that might be possible. Still, as it is, we have preserved a piece of ancient art.

up148

Postby up148 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:04 pm

So, it really is as special as it looks. I've never had a Lobaugh loco turn my head like this one. Most, ever assembled nicely are just 50-60 year old technology and it shows. This one is remarkable with all the detailing, dual motors and everything else. This would have been a drooler when it showed up at shows or club meetings back in the day and still is with it's history.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:04 pm

Agree Butch, I thought Jim had lost his mind when he told me he bought it, but Dave's observations on the truly unique drive and Bob's willing and excellent ministrations to the model itself are proof it's quite a find. Kudo's to all!
I will eat my cold bowl of crow now, pass the tabasco :wink:
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:30 pm

Not so fast. Maroon, and Carey, and I are in a slightly different branch of the hobby. For me, this would be a better model if assembled exactly as Lobaugh planned, maybe with a few lost wax items, maybe boiler bands, cab rivets, etc. see mine, for instance.

However, this one came at a relatively favorable price, and may be a good runner. I am leaving it to Jim to clean the drivers and track-test, and I am sure he wants a runner. Underneath, it is still a Lobaugh, which is to say, close to doorstopism.

Folks who want Overland, Key, Kohs, or even MMW will not be impressed.

I am, of course, impressed by darn near perfect models, but my hobby is not collecting them. I had a well detailed PSC Cab Forward - ran beautifully, and had few flaws. Much, much happier with my own creations.

De Bruin

Postby De Bruin » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:08 pm

OK Bob I'll slow down.
Dave's observations on the truly unique drive and Bob's willing and excellent ministrations to the model itself are proof it's quite a find.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

up148

Postby up148 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:28 am

Totally agree Pete. This model is not the everyday build. It would be so great to know who built it, but that seems like an impossible task at this point so all we can do is appreciate it for what it is.........OUTSTANDING.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:22 pm

Jay's parts arrived today. Perfect fit! Boiler now has its first coat of primer. Going flying 'till Monday. Hopefully by then my name will not be on the top three threads.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:27 pm

bob turner wrote:Jay's parts arrived today. Perfect fit! Boiler now has its first coat of primer. Going flying 'till Monday. Hopefully by then my name will not be on the top three threads.

Or mentioned in an FAA Incident Report......
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

J. S. Bach

Postby J. S. Bach » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:22 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :mrgreen:

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”