SC tank car frame

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

Re: SC tank car frame

Postby bob turner » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:06 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-EHWP ... 3486&psc=1

And then just spray a flat clear coat. There are a dozen variants if yo do not count Krylon and Rustoleum, the most wasteful and environmentally dangerous brands.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:57 pm

bob turner wrote:And then just spray a flat clear coat. There are a dozen variants if yo do not count Krylon and Rustoleum, the most wasteful and environmentally dangerous brands.

I have used one of these metallic colors -- flat overspray had no effect on taking out the metallic glitter component within the paint. I"m not at all sure I follow on the "most wasteful and environmentally dangerous" point - Dupli-color has a flammable propellant component and is hardly environmentally friendly. Wasteful? Just because you have issues with rattle cans clogging and failing does not mean tha tI do -- I rarely have that happen except when it's a generic off-brand.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:29 pm

Looks like I have a set of Sinclair decals coming in black for this. Forumite provision. Thanks.
Also an oddity in a box with 20 years or more of dust, painted, got CoNoCo decals coming for that one.
I'll get photos of both later. Second one may be Walthers, has tank bands with handrails attached, and they are off, tank painted, so decals and re-assemble.
Dave....collector, restorer, and operator of the finest doorstops

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:33 pm

Took some photos of second car. Definitely Walthers frame ends..still says Walthers inside coupler boxes. Walthers trucks with Tennite wheels. Brass bands to hold body down and ends solder to running boards. Wood tank car body neatly wrapped in probably brass wrapper. close gap at bottom, straight.
Center sill looks steel or fully tinned brass, upside down U.
I'll try to get couple on hosting site later and post here.

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:04 pm

http://modeltrainjournal.com/phpBB3/vie ... hp?t=15900

'bout halfway down the page, pair of orange mismatched tanks:

Both close, and until I assemble mine again, can't be certain, but the one on the right seems to have a smaller diameter tank that looks like mine. Right down to the hazard placard holder soldered to the tank bands on left of car.

Mine does NOT have cast bronze ends to the tank. If you inspect closely, you can see it's carefully formed wood that forms the tank under the wrapper.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:07 pm

ScaleCraft wrote:I'll get photos of both later.

Looking forward to seeing them.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

RDSRR

Postby RDSRR » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:21 pm

I have a few tank car projects in mind so Glenn and I got together and ran some etchings just for ourselves.
Regards,

Dan

The Model Railroad Resource LLC
407 East Chippewa St - Dwight, IL 60420
Voice 815.584.1577 / FAX 800.783.0127
daniel@modelrailroadresource.com / http://modelrailroadresource.com
http://oscaleresource.com/ and http://sscaleresource.com/

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:50 pm

I really like tank cars. Both orange cars are identical - I have three of these, and know not of their origin. Brass and cast.

up148

Postby up148 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:07 am

RDSRR wrote:I have a few tank car projects in mind so Glenn and I got together and ran some etchings just for ourselves.

Wow Dan, those are some beautifully detailed frames. If there are any excess to yours or Glenn's needs, I'd sure buy one. Fantastic solder work!

ScaleCraft

Postby ScaleCraft » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:27 am

bob turner wrote:I really like tank cars. Both orange cars are identical - I have three of these, and know not of their origin. Brass and cast.

Not quite. Looks like different end platform thickness, different brake wheel placement, totally different handrail mountings to tank, straightedge across tops of tanks shows left one taller. Yet straightedge along bottom of tanks shows same. Ladders and ladder mounts different.
But, really hard to tell with the Photophuqueit overlay. Throws the micrometer eyeballs off.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”