Page 1 of 1

Bill Lenoir freight set Chicago Great Western RR 1930's

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:09 am
by Carey Williams
Hello all Bill Lenoir was one of the most instrumental designers of early O scale . Lenoir designed cars for Walthers , engines and cars for Scale Model Railways , Saginaw , Hines , Simmons , Hawk ...and in later years was a master builder of custom locomotives . Lenoir in the early 30's was living in Wheaton, Illinois and admired the Chicago & Great Western Railroad . Lenoir's first layout pieces were patterned after the Chicago & Great Western .
Here is video link to see a Chicago & Great Western E7 460 designed by Lenoir for Scale Model Railways 1935-40...this engine was a kit built by Meridth of Wisconsin in 1939, cars are built by Lenoir 1934-7 for use on his layout ..hand lettered .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlCX09ZN4WU


PS Bob Zinn thank you very much for the lead ...

Re: Bill Lenoir freight set Chicago Great Western RR 1930's

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:39 pm
by bob turner
I really like the "still" photos on OGR. That, plus I was jealous of those who do good hand lettering until I saw the Lenoir closeup. I can do that.

One of the modern secrets is the "Pilot" pen - a paint-filled #0 lettering pen. I mostly use them for striping.

Re: Bill Lenoir freight set Chicago Great Western RR 1930's

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:11 pm
by rogruth
The train looks really nice and seems to run very well to me.