eBay selling advice?

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
bob turner

eBay selling advice?

Postby bob turner » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:07 pm

Time to unload some pristine Overland. I have a light Mike that has never even been opened. I realize that having an unopened box is a very big deal to Lionel collectors, and maybe even to plastic model airplane folks, but I suspect it makes no difference to a true O Scaler.
If I don't take it out of the box I cannot offer a photo - nor can I test it. I am not a big time seller, since I rarely buy anything I do not want for me (too bad; I could have bought lots of houses in SoCal for under $50 grand).

So, seeking opinions. Take it out of the box, photo it, test it, and repack? Or just show a photo of the wrapped box?

E7

Re: eBay selling advice?

Postby E7 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:48 pm

If you open the box, you will have to sell it as used. (not my call on that one, but Ebay's)

That said, I personally want to see what I'm getting. Even new stuff can be damaged or defective.

I would state: Box opened for pics and testing.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:46 am

If an item sells fir $800 or more eBay requires a signature for delivery confirmation.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:52 am

OMI boxes are never sealed like Lionel, but the items inside are wrapped in plastic with OMI stickers. It's normally pretty easy to tell if an item has been unwrapped (even once) and re-wrapped. If it looks "virgin" and unwrapped I would sell it that way. The guys who spend the big $$$ want unwrapped and know what to expect from the condition of the box and the interior wrapping and foam.

Why not post one photo here of the interior of the box showing the model still secure in factory packing.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:38 am

bob turner wrote:Take it out of the box, photo it, test it, and repack?

Yes. You need to be able to show the engine's all around condition; no presumptions or guesses. This crap about unopened in the box is for toy train collectors.

You get 12 free photos, so take 12 good ones from every angle and use them.

Don't worry about new/old -- you control that check box when you list it on the eBay listing page. Just check off new and describe the fact that you have had it in your possession and it was never opened and out except for the photos and a quick test. There are several other details on the listing page to check off as well. Most are pretty obvious....and some you can just skip or choose does not apply, etc.

I have never run into any requirements regarding signatures...and I've sold plenty of items over $1k...but you'll no doubt be shipping insured so before listing it, I'd go to the shipping calculator and put in the box dimensions and weight (https://postcalc.usps.com/) and an east coast zip to get a realistic shipping cost and add in the insurance to cover your costs.

Might also want to check off the excluded areas in the world you do not want to be bothered shipping to as well. Might also want to check off the box that allows you to set the amount of time you have to get it shipped. Lots of people think you have to ship the next day after getting paid; not true - you can set that to 5 days. There's an auto re-list box you can check off as well.

eBay will collect your sales tax for CA and will probably also let the state know you made income and you'll end up putting this and everything else you sell on eBay on your state taxes in 2022. Some states are better than others..... Sell enough (and it's not all that high as anyone might think!) and eBay will also issue you a 1099k (?) and then the fun begins.......
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:59 am

You mean like proving the basis? Isn't list price a good start, for a new item?

Had not thought about profit and taxes. California rarely goes after "use" taxes (at least for socks and blue jeans) but now sales taxes are being paid up-front. They have long been going after big ticket items like airplanes, and it is truly difficult to cheat.

I think I will split the difference - one photo of the unpacked model,then a test run and a series of model photos.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:11 am

A simple google search will show eBay’s signature confirmation policy. For any item over $750. It’s required under their seller protection. I’m willing to bet if Mr. Turner has not sold things in awhile. PayPal will hold his funds for 2 weeks or until buyer leaves feedback

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:54 am

robert. wrote:A simple google search will show eBay’s signature confirmation policy. For any item over $750. It’s required under their seller protection. I’m willing to bet if Mr. Turner has not sold things in awhile. PayPal will hold his funds for 2 weeks or until buyer leaves feedback

Never have had to that. Don't know where or how that's coming up, but I've not had to do it.

As to holding funds, that's really variable - also depends on whether he gets pushed to eBay's managed payment system. I get paid directly in 48 hours.
Conservatism: The intense fear that somewhere, somehow, someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:01 am

bob turner wrote:You mean like proving the basis? Isn't list price a good start, for a new item?

Well, are these selling for that old list price? Would you pay that old list price for it? But, I really don't care about what price you start it at.

Had not thought about profit and taxes. California rarely goes after "use" taxes (at least for socks and blue jeans) but now sales taxes are being paid up-front. They have long been going after big ticket items like airplanes, and it is truly difficult to cheat.

eBay is right on top of this with every state's peculiarities and it's all a consequence of that last tax cut -- all sorts of little things in it that no one thought would ever come about to impacting themselves. Hobby income and eBay, etc. sales are a tax issue now and the write off for it is gone.

I think I will split the difference - one photo of the unpacked model,then a test run and a series of model photos.

Good plan.

Here's another suggestion -- set your selling price and drop it on OScaleyardsale (https://groups.io/g/OSCALEYARDSALE ), bypass eBay, and see what happens - a lot of stuff moves through there!

bob turner

Postby bob turner » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:19 pm

I might do that - but there is something attractive about not sweating the sales/use tax.

On the "basis" - I thought you were alluding to the income tax. In this case, the model was a gift, and I am not at all sure how to handle it on my 1040s. I declare a lot of stuff for which I get no 1099, and so far the tax man has never wanted to audit me. I sure don't want an $800 item triggering an audit - I would only be paying FICA.

Rufus T. Firefly

Postby Rufus T. Firefly » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:46 pm

bob turner wrote:I might do that - but there is something attractive about not sweating the sales/use tax.

On the "basis" - I thought you were alluding to the income tax. In this case, the model was a gift, and I am not at all sure how to handle it on my 1040s. I declare a lot of stuff for which I get no 1099, and so far the tax man has never wanted to audit me. I sure don't want an $800 item triggering an audit - I would only be paying FICA.

Ah, I've had that question pose to me by my accountant - "basis". I suspect that the vast majority of modelers do not keep scrupulous records of their purchases and acquisition thinking in advance of such inevitable actions regarding liquidation of inventory, etc. We all try to fly under that radar as best as possible.

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:31 pm

I haven't sold anything on eBay for years, but have purchased and the last seller informed me eBay charges sales tax on all sales. It is up to the seller to either collect from the buyer or "eat it" themselves...........they don't have a choice. So, be prepared to pay sales tax and list in your description that sales tax is charged.

robert.

Postby robert. » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:01 pm

Sales tax is also calculated on shipping.

GreggL

Postby GreggL » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:49 pm

eBay also has a new policy for transferring money to the buyer. It is no longer a simple PayPal transaction. You give them access to your bank account and they always take several days before transfer (think float).

I am pretty much done selling on eBay. It's too much hassle for the seller and the amount of vig they charge is outrageous.

...gregg

up148

Postby up148 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:28 pm

GreggL wrote:eBay also has a new policy for transferring money to the buyer. It is no longer a simple PayPal transaction. You give them access to your bank account and they always take several days before transfer (think float).

I am pretty much done selling on eBay. It's too much hassle for the seller and the amount of vig they charge is outrageous.

...gregg

eBay keeps raising fees and is pretty expensive to sell (10%) and with the PP fees (13%) total. PP has my bank account and AMEX CC info, but I'm thinking twice about that and not about to give it EB this info with all the ID theft these days. I started selling on EB in 1998 and I was spoiled, as fees back then were 3%.

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”