The double loop loading track at the Signal Peak Mine in Montana

Discuss All Facets of 2-Rail, 1/48 Scale, Model Railroading
Chris Webster

The double loop loading track at the Signal Peak Mine in Montana

Postby Chris Webster » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:42 pm

Here's an interesting picture of a BNSF unit train being loaded on the double loop track at the Signal Peak Mine in Roundup, Montana: Railpictures #765691

And here is a Google Maps Aerial View of the track.

robert.

Re: The double loop loading track at the Signal Peak Mine in Montana

Postby robert. » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:46 pm

There is a chemical plant in Delaware with a similar setup. I'm not able to find a photo. I believe the plant sits a few miles south of dover.
I spend entirely too many hours a day tying my shoes

De Bruin

Re: The double loop loading track at the Signal Peak Mine in Montana

Postby De Bruin » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:57 pm

Single or double track this configuration is common these days, design du'jour, topography permitting, for many decades now. Think Powder River has a few of these, possibly even a three track loader.

Interestingly these loop loading design, specifcally for grain have been killing off local grain elevator businesses on a mass scale, especially in the mid-west, BNSF, UP, KCS, CP, CN et al, some even getting local tax relief to create these large area unload/loading/storage facilities.

A double track example like this is interesting though will be emulated if the volume warrants it.
Litigation Crisis Consultant- remediating legal-media issues; mitigating federal, state and local investigations, court orders etc. Your serial felony history, contractual defaults, bankruptcies no big deal.
contact morbo@getoffthehook.com

Return to “O-Gauge, 2-Rail, Model Railroading”